Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G Unlimited package (fair useage)

Options
  • 14-11-2007 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

I have a vondafone 3G datacard for the last year or so and signed up when there was unlimited data offer and pay 50 euro per month all in.... I never really use it much since I also have an eircom broadbank backage at home with a 20Gb cap...

I've been going over my 20Gb cap for the last few months with eircom and decided to use my Vodafone 3G to share the load by putting in on a second laptop and leaving it connected working away on some downloads for work...

Anyway my connection stopped working the last few days with an error 619 and eventually I rang them up today and they tell me I've gone over my cap this month.... I explained that I have an UNLIMITED package and the guy couldn't explain why then to me but reconnected me ... Later I get a call from a guy in Vodafone to tell em the reason I was diconnected was because of their fair useage policy and I had gone outside my "terms and conditions" but couldn't tell me what the limit was before i could do this?

He explained that they had software to highlight unfair users ont he system and any more "unfair" useage would result in loss of connection again and maybe termination of my contract...

He still couldn't tell me what "fair" was and just kept saying that the unlimited package was subject to a fair useage policy...

I hadn't even plugged in the card for the previous 4 months and still paidmy bill with 0 useage..

Anyone any experience of this?... any idea on the defination of fair? Ideas and suggestions?

Thanks,

Mac

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think that if the product uses the word unlimited then that's what it should be. This nonsense of fair usage is bollocks. If you want to enforce a limit then tell people what it is and don't use the word unlimited. You could try complaining to comreg about it and also the CAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

Hi Macspower,
    i used to work in vodafone (dont anymore) when the 3g broadband was released.you cant really do anything. it does say on all the literature about the offer that "unlimited" was on the conditions of fair usage.
    this is from vodafoen terms and conditions

Vodafone operates the following Fair Usage Policy for use of this tariff: It is important to Vodafone that all eligible Vodafone customers are able to access our services. Accordingly, we have devised a fair use policy which applies to the Service. Vodafone may rely on this fair use policy where your usage of the Service is excessive or unreasonable as detailed in this paragraph. Vodafone has developed the Service and the related tariffs by reference to average customer profiles and estimated customer usage of the Service (particularly the estimated volume and length of free calls likely to be made by users). If, at the absolute discretion of Vodafone, Vodafone is of the opinion, that your usage of the Service materially exceeds these estimated use pattern over any month, Vodafone may contact you to advise you that your usage exceeds its fair use policy. If the excessive usage continues after receipt of a request to desist from or alter the nature of such usage, Vodafone reserves the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at your price plan's standard rate or to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Service

we were always told that a customer shouldnt just leave their computer turned on for days downloading huge things like lots of films or anything, that would be considered above the limit.really, its up to vodafone to decide,the are usually fairly reasonable about it though....

its the same with the "unlimited" calls to vodafone numbers in their phone package. i nkow a guy who worked there who, (and its pretty sad) made a call to a number and left the call connected to the number for a whole month, just to see what would happen. he was told not to do it and got a formal warning when he did it again.

in terms of you paying every month even though you didnt use it? well you pay for line rental, that is a charge you get whether you use it or not.

i understand how frustrated you must be but basically, vodafone can cover themselves no matter what you say to them, you have no way out.sorry to be negative about it but im just being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

just wanted to add that all mobile operators have this fair usage policy and it is known by comreg supposedly. supposedly the communications regulator know about the air usage policy and they are fine with it, i suppose they are there to portect the operators too and they must be as fairly treated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Don't like the sound of that, especially since another person has posted close to the same thing on another thread. Hopefully they aren't going to start cracking down on unlimited customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

thanks for the quick replies guys..

I'mnot really worried about the months that i didn't use it as that was my own problem... but the first time I actually use it to any extent they disconnect me...

but I would nearly rather they say ok your limit is X and if you go over that then we will cut you off... instead of saying your unlimited but cant use it unfairly... without them defining "fair"

If I wanted a cap I could just take their 15euro a month offer... instead I pay 50 for unlimited which is really capped??

maybe I'm wrong?

Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

IMO
    These fair usage clauses were brought in to stop people abusing their unlimited status. IE for somebody to download at full speed for the duration of the month and in such a way as it affects other users' bandwidth. BTW. I am talking about TB here, not GB.

Now the 'abusers' seem to be the providers themselves. Putting the word unlimited, with 5gb fair usage, should be illegal. What are those guys over in Comreg doing about. Doing what they do best. Nothing.

What is to stop X company or Y company saying here is a 5GB and here is a 10GB service, when that is what they are giving. They are not giving an unlimited service. Not even nearly. Maybe not only Comreg should stop this, but the cosumer affairs guys too. They are abusing the word unlimited.

The way I see it is companies have been doing it in the UK where they get away with it. So then the regulators here say its ok. If enough people say its not OK, its not OK. Its not OK.

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

well I was onto vodafone today and they basicly told me that the fair usage policy for unlimited was seen to be 5 gigs and thats they way its staying. They had frozen my net until my next bill date as I had hit 8 gig. And he basicly said that It would be cheaper to drop down to there other package.

So I think vodafone are now going to try and get people off the unlimited pack by enforcing the fairusage at a 5 gig limit!

Anyway I ahve 3 months left on my contract so I told him to downgrade it as it will get the offer available of half price and then Im getting rid of it!

I was back onto them again about it and i got the same response as you did Stokolan... they suggested I'd be better off on the 5gig plan which would only be 15 euro pm....

I again asked what was considered "unfair" and again he said they dont put a figure on it but excessive use is considered to be unfair to other users...

I chek on my own system and I've used 7 gig this month so far on an unlimited package! not Unfair IMO... so they charge 15euro for their 5gb package and 50 for the unlimited package (which is no longer available) but if i hot 7gb they cut me off??

Anyway they have reconnected and we'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Stokolan wrote: »
    well I was onto vodafone today and they basicly told me that the fair usage policy for unlimited was seen to be 5 gigs and thats they way its staying. They had frozen my net until my next bill date as I had hit 8 gig. And he basicly said that It would be cheaper to drop down to there other package.

So I think vodafone are now going to try and get people off the unlimited pack by enforcing the fairusage at a 5 gig limit!

Anyway I ahve 3 months left on my contract so I told him to downgrade it as it will get the offer available of half price and then Im getting rid of it!
    Be very very very weary, Make sure you are not going to be stuck with an 18 month contract. As far as I was aware the 15 quid a month is only if you sign up for 18 months. You should check to make sure this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

It was the first question I asked him.. he said it wasn't.

Rang a second time and got a different person just to be sure and they said the same thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

This happened a few years ago with a number of dial up providers (think it was oceanfree or possibly iol) - there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. As outlined in the t&c's above, they're basing it off what they percieve as average usage. Obviously that's a bit daft in the case of an unlimited package, because you'd expect the people buying them to use them with the intention of above average use.

You'll be renamed Bad Beat Mac one of these days. :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

there's pretty much nothing you can do about it
    What you do is change provider! I see o2 are offering double the quota under their "fair usage" policy ... it's beginning to look like the better option. Not sure how their coverage compares to vodafone.
    But, IMHO, in cases like this your power is where you choose to spend your money ... switching to their cheaper but limited package (as they wish) is hardly a rebuking for a company who clearly tried to mis-sell their product to you.
    I'm on the same package but I'm beginning to evaluate my options.
    I wonder when will be a good time to give 3 ago! :eek: I know I know :) I've been reading the sad stories here about their service and hearing of everyone leaving so I guess that will motivate 3 to improve ... so an improved service with less people to share bandwidth is the likely outcome? and some point at least it might be a good strategic move ???

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Maybe we are actually seeing an end to this mis-selling.

The fact is vodafone are discontinuing their unlimited package. They may be about to bring in a 10GB or 20GB package.

I think we all want an end to this 'fair usage' clause.:)

But all we are only left with is:mad::
    • Vodafone has a 5GB for €30 (€15 for 3 months)
    • O2 has a 10GB for €40 (€20 for 3 months) or €30 (€15 for 3months) if on Pay monthly on O2 Active Life Plans (excluding Active Life 40)
    • 3 has a 10GB for €20

HERE IS A FAIR structure IMO:
    1. 5G (a waste of time, because you will nearly always go over if you only average): €20
    2. 10G (the average user should be ok but there is always a chance of exceeding some months): €25
    3. 20G (should be fine for almost all users except for people who download bts/movies etc): €30
    4. 50G (is a number that even I would not exceed): €40
    :)

Boopolo

I've been back on again! I really wont let up on these guys.....

BTW I still have some omths left on my contract so just cant run away from them as yet..

1) I pay 50euro pm for an "UNLIMITED DATA PACKAGE" It's 30 euro for a 5Gb package.... but if I go over 5Gb they cut me off? He tells me today that is correct! Well I recieve a cut off warning which is a cut off where I have to ring to be reconnected which they have done but if it happens again I cant use it again till the next month..

2) I have had it for 8 months..... I got a list of my data useage today and it is as follows. March 2.2 Gb April 1.5Gb May 4.5 Gb June/July/August 0Gb Sept 1.1 GB Oct 0Gb November 7.2 Gb

So I've averaged 2Gb per month... hardley "Unfair Useage?"

3) I mentioned Communications regulator and he said work away but I have signed a fair useage policy... when I again aked for a defination of fair useage I was told an ammount that would affect other users from getting their full service......

4) I asked for a figure on the ammount considered unfair and he said anything in excess of 5Gb would be considered high and 7 would definately be "Unfair".... I think they would have to show me how 7Gb and an average useage of 2Gb per month would affect other users?

5) And to top it off..... I told himt hat if they weren't going to stand by their original aggreement and do Unlimited I wanted to cancel my contract immediatley... He tells me that I cant and will be charged the 50euro PM until next March whether I use it or not.....

Bottom Line is Unlimited is not "UNLIMITED" but is basically the same package a the 5Gb package....

Really not happy with this result....

Anyway decided to upgrade my Eircom account from 20GB to top package....

Edited to say I prob wont bother as per other eircom thread on this page....

Any input appreciated..

Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

I've got an 'unlimited data' 3G card which I used quite heavily, until recently when I used it very heavily downloading about a gig a day for the past week. 2nd day I was 'suspended' - when I phoned to ask why I was told there were network problems. 4 days ago 'suspended' again - phoned and was reconnected, no comment on my usage.

Today cut off again and phoned and was told I wouldn't be reconnected until my next bill payment date due to 'excessive usage' and I'd 'already been warned twice' - which I protested vigorously hadn't been mentioned, was told 5 gigs a month was the limit etc - finally got reconnected.

When I mentioned 5 gigs was the limit on the cheaper (€30/month) option I was told this 'wasn't strictly true.' I'll terminate as soon as my year is up next month, but where to go from here?! O2 probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

boopolo wrote: »

HERE IS A FAIR structure IMO:
    1. 5G (a waste of time, because you will nearly always go over if you only average): €20
    2. 10G (the average user should be ok but there is always a chance of exceeding some months): €25
    3. 20G (should be fine for almost all users except for people who download bts/movies etc): €30
    4. 50G (is a number that even I would not exceed): €40
    :)

Boopolo
    50G costs the ISP twice as much as 25G. Heavy users are more likely to use up the cap.
    1. 5G (Light Email/Browsing, unlikely to even use the 5G): €15
    2. 10G (the average user, not watching videos or downloading ISOs): €25
    3. 20G (most users even maybe 2 or 3 via a router): €45
    4. 50G (Download / Video addicts using Internet instead of Satellite TV and buying DVDs): €95

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

All this is news to me, I download about 25-30Gb a month on my connection, I have been away for the last week so dont know if they will do the same to me, I will soon find out.

Is this happening to everyone on the "Unlimited" package?

What areas are you guys in, like would there be a lot of other users in your cell or are you in the country side for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

davidf1412 wrote: »
    I've got an 'unlimited data' 3G card
    .......was told 5 gigs a month was the limit etc
    .......When I mentioned 5 gigs was the limit on the cheaper (€30/month) option I was told this 'wasn't strictly true.'

I wonder if the regulator would be interested to know that anything you are paying over the cost of the 5Gig package is basically going into the isps bank account for zero service in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ive also had an unlimited tariff paying 48.99 a month for the past 12 months, ive been using 15 to 20 gigs a month regularly with no problems. This morning i woke up, went to connect and got the dreaded 619 error.
    Rang up Vodafone, talked to 3 different people and eventually got put through to the data section and a technical guy who knew what he was on about. He was actually really sound and said id been disconnected because of the amount ive been using but he re-connected me straightaway. He said if i keep going over the 5 gigs Vodafone will keep disconnecting me and eventually will terminate my contract. I told him about my unlimited usage and he said they'll just pull the fair usage bull****. 5 gigs is nowhere near enough for me and frankly this is a disgrace. We are paying over 3 times the amount for the same service as the 15 euro users, its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

mdwexford, I am in much the same position, I wont be able to survive on 5gigs, they have moved the goal posts big time, its unacceptable, pulling the fair usage bs wont wash with me, this is 2007, 30Gb a month is nothing, they should have thought about this before they offered the service in the first place!

I will start a new thread in this section, where us "Unlimited" users can decide what to do, they are expecting us to just bend over and take what they give us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DCW

i agree with all who feel that this is unfair business practice and have lodged a formal complaint with both ComReg and Vodafone. ComReg tell me that they have to give Vodafone 10 days to respond to me before they commmence their investigation. I have also sign-posted this thread to ComReg as I believe it sets out the case very clearly.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Where can you check to see how much you have used in a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

DCW wrote: »
    i agree with all who feel that this is unfair business practice and have lodged a formal complaint with both ComReg and Vodafone. ComReg tell me that they have to give Vodafone 10 days to respond to me before they commmence their investigation. I have also sign-posted this thread to ComReg as I believe it sets out the case very clearly.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

Any news on this?

Advertisement