Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punt guns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Do i see a ...skateboard?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's the son's toy punt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I believe I seen one of these punt guns while visiting the Irish Fishing and Shooting Museum near Durrow in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

johngalway wrote: »
    I'd put the remains in a box for ya Neo and print out a picture of a fox to stick on the lid, be just like a jigsaw!

Actually, I've been greycrow bashing mostly this last while and read about punt guns on another site. Be handy over some bait :cool: Was never a runner, just a mad notion.

Make a change from roadkill fox rubix cubes :eek:

Forky wrote: »
    I believe I seen one of these punt guns while visiting the Irish Fishing and Shooting Museum near Durrow in Laois.

Forky,

The Museum is well worth stopping and taking a gander. Large display of fly's and fishing kit.

NeoR,
    roadkill fox rubix cubes
    :D:D
    Never thought of it that way.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This thread has developed really well, my thanks to all who have and continue to reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Purely hypothetical now but it can't be impossible to get licenced for the necessary quantities of powder. In the end you're talking about a fairly low end explosive licenced fireworks artists would have in considerable quantities. If you took all the powder out of your cartridge and bullet allowance on your
    licence(s) you'd have something a good bit more powerfull than one discharge of powder for a puntgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I would imagine you wouldn't get many bangs for the amount of black powder you're allowed actually keep.
    On the other hand, how many times would you shoot a cannon like that?

Think i'll add that museum to the list of places to bike to when the weathers good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is one in the Maritime museum in Greencastle Co. Donegal it mounted to a punt.
    Quite the impressive piece of machinery.
    But I saw an even more impressive piece of antiquarian firearms history during the week.
    The Kongsberg Vapenfabbrik M52 Harpoon Gun apparently used for small Whales , Dolphins, Seals, Sharks, Tuna and Swordfish.
    It uses 1.3 grams of ballistite to propel the harpoon and is based on a mauser action.
    I think it was used in Jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Also see line guns. Would have been very similar. Based on an ordinary rifle, Kar98, M1, Lee Enfield etc etc and modified to shoot a harpoon like contraption with light weight line attached from ship to ship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

you could start the Galway Light Artillery..

Why stop there? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

How were these actually fired? I mean, were they tied to the front of a small boat or what, because it looks like they pack an almighty punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

astraboy wrote: »
    How were these actually fired? I mean, were they tied to the front of a small boat or what, because it looks like they pack an almighty punch!

Not tied to a punt, these cannons were actually built on to a punt, the recoil would have been fairly substantial.
    I read an account where one shot accounted for something like thirty six ducks and a fair few injured as well.

From 'The New Wildfowler' by Nick Frearson.

"There are basically two methods of absorbing the recoil of punt-guns, the boot-jack system having now more or less been consigned to history."

"The simplest arrangement is the use of a breeching rope passed through a hole in the stem of the punt, laid along her foredeck and attached to trunnions on either side of the gun's barrel and positioned approximately 10-12in. behind its point of balance. Some guns have provision for the rope to be threaded through the stock itself."

Ch. 15, Punt Gunning ( pp127-135, )

There are more complicated recoil spring systems "....the barrel is mounted on a spring-loaded swivel stanchion which drops into a sliding block on the punt's floor, the block itself being attached to the punt's stem by a breeching rope led underneath the foredeck."

BTW the 4 bore is considered to be the smallest of the puntguns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is the law I quotes,
    For the flats where the sea-grass roots:-
    "Where the tide flows .......I floats,
    and where I floats..........I shoots".
    Landed gentry may claim rights on the foreshore mud,
    But ownership's all the same with a spring tide on the flood.
    Mallard are reared under hens,
    They guard the teal on the lake,
    And it's all private ground in the fens,
    But the wigion are mine to take.
    Out of the dark I come towards the growing light,
    The lanyard under my thumb the gun laid straight and right.
    Bird watchers stretch their throats uttering dismal hoots,
    But where the tide flows.......I floats,
    And where I floats.........I shoots.
    - Anon

astraboy wrote: »

A punt and gun secured to absorb recoil.

2055425210_98c1a7d71b_b.jpg

Astraboy,
    Take a look at the 'ears' -for want of a better word- which would be 'trunnions' on the side of the gun, the rope is slung over the trunnions securing the gun when fired.

A new puntgun built by Alan Myers, proofed for 32 ozs of shot.

2054653777_bd605f0a5f_o.jpg

Photo courtesy of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Great thread.Double barrel your a mine of info, please keep it coming:)

Chuileog,

Great thread for sure.

At one time I had 'the fever' :D to build one and in the process did quite a bit if research. I have not abandoned the idea and will probably give it a go when time permits. I have the wherewithal (timber, equipment & some knowledge) to build the punt but the gun will have to be farmed out to the tune of 3 - 8 thousand and powder is still an obstacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i dont get how you can kill a dozen birds in one shot tho unless you line them all up neatly in a row :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

revan23 wrote: »
    i dont get how you can kill a dozen birds in one shot tho unless you line them all up neatly in a row :confused:
    It's not firing a single projectile like a rifle, it's a VERY BIG shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i know but still... must have a massive spread
    edit - this says it all -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTBC0AfVE

Advertisement