Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Banks

Options
  • 14-11-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I've decided to change banks, after being 'recruited' by AIB when i started college. I've been screwed over by them so many times its not funny, but today I was turned down for a second time on my credit card application. I have never owed them money, been in dept, had a loan, always have money in my account and regular income. Have direct debits without problems. They have no reason to turn me down in my opinion.

So whats the best bank to move to? I'm looking at TSB and Ulster Bank, they seem the best(cheapest?). All i really need is a current account with ATM, Laser and Credit Card. Dont need any bank drafts, loans or even low APR on the credit card as i wont be using it for credit, just internet purchases and flights.

Any feedback would be appriciated!

Thanks

Ciaran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Inner City Girl

Hi There
    PTSB they have one of the lowest interest rates 9.9%
    you prob have to be banking with them to get a visa, not sure.
    you should check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hi,

I've decided to change banks, after being 'recruited' by AIB when i started college. I've been screwed over by them so many times its not funny, but today I was turned down for a second time on my credit card application. I have never owed them money, been in dept, had a loan, always have money in my account and regular income. Have direct debits without problems. They have no reason to turn me down in my opinion.

So whats the best bank to move to? I'm looking at TSB and Ulster Bank, they seem the best(cheapest?). All i really need is a current account with ATM, Laser and Credit Card. Dont need any bank drafts, loans or even low APR on the credit card as i wont be using it for credit, just internet purchases and flights.

Any feedback would be appriciated!

Thanks

Ciaran

You need to find out why they turned you down as you may get asked have you ever been refused a credit app and you are saying here that u have been refused twice.
    You need to check this out as your credit rating may have been compromised.
    Could be an error on your credit rating with http://www.icb.ie/
    see
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?CatID=19&fn=/documents/rights/2b.htm&m=r

get this sorted bro pronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I would heed irocha's advice.

If all you say in your post above is true and if you meet the qualifying criteria for the AIB be card - i.e.

- over the age of 18
    - have a bank account in the Republic of Ireland.
    - have a regular source of income over €20,000 per annum
    - can confirm that you have read and accept the AIB 'be' Credit Card Conditions of Use and Important Information, relating to the request and use of a credit card
    - have read and accept the Data Protection Notice and AIB Group Privacy Statement.

then only issue may be your credit rating. Did you ever have a student card, student loan (J1 loan, tax back loan etc that may not have been paid back)

Is your employment permanent and over 20k ? Look into these as that may be the issue. Theres no guarantee that another bank will give you a card also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

cazzy wrote: »
    I would heed irocha's advice.

If all you say in your post above is true and if you meet the qualifying criteria for the AIB be card - i.e.

- over the age of 18
    - have a bank account in the Republic of Ireland.
    - have a regular source of income over €20,000 per annum
    - can confirm that you have read and accept the AIB 'be' Credit Card Conditions of Use and Important Information, relating to the request and use of a credit card
    - have read and accept the Data Protection Notice and AIB Group Privacy Statement.

then only issue may be your credit rating. Did you ever have a student card, student loan (J1 loan, tax back loan etc that may not have been paid back)

Is your employment permanent and over 20k ? Look into these as that may be the issue. Theres no guarantee that another bank will give you a card also.

Good advice here: CAZZY I was assuming that if he fails the obvious criteria as listed by u they will tell him why but sometimes they are reluctant to tell u if ur credit rating is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Send a letter to them asking why you were refused.

They must reply and clairfy exactly the reason why. I think there is also a time limit of around 10-15 working days.

I will update after I've refreshed my memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've been with TSB for many years, and used to find them very good to deal with.

After two months of sheer, hellish total inefficiency from them, I finally got new Laser and Visa cards - both of which work about one time out of three. Today I trekked into town, tried to use the Visa for a transaction, it didn't work, used the Laser; the checkout clerk said sympathetically "TSB, is it? My flatmate has the same problem!" Then I went to another shop, and this time *neither* one worked - "TSB? My flatmate's cards never work either!" said the checkout clerk in this shop. Apparently all flatmates are in TSB.

I could phone them, but after two months of phone calls to get them to shut down two accounts and one Visa and transfer them into a Switch account (better rates) and Ice Visa (ditto), my heart fails me. I'm thinking of just changing banks and taking the hit on the €40 charge on each card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I pretty much agree with the above advices. as for AIB, give them a ring and quoted your application reference number. Speaking from my experience, they can tell you the reason why your application is declined. It could be just some silly mistakes like I had. I was able to clarify the situation immediately on the phone and I had my application straight away approved by the staff.

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Went into the TSB yesterday, and discovered the problem(s). The Visa was simple - I'd just maxed it out; it had a lower limit than the old one. But the Laser - they'd managed to *cancel* it! Aaaaarrrggghhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I also signed up to AIB in college, and banked with them for years. But over and over again they messed me around.

So I went to Ulster Bank for regular bank account and credit card about 2 years go. I have never had a single problem with them..

Advertisement