Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Komplett.ie and Windows Vista64?

• 14-11-2007 8:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im using Komplett's system builder option to purchase a new computer as I dont have the know how to build a pc myself. However I want 4gb of memory
    and I hear that vista32 does not support the full 4gb so I want vista64. However komplett dont supply vista64 with their prebuilt systems so i have to
    choose 'no operating system' and order windows vista home 64 seperately.

I have several queries on this and worry that getting vista64 might be a mistake, as it would be much easier to order vista32 with the pc and the operating system already preloaded but I really hate to lose almost 25% of my memory thru windows 32bit versions.

I presume that even when I order Vista64 with the pc but seperately from the prebuilt options, that komplett will just ship out the pc but leaving the operating system uninstalled and in a sealed box.

1. What happens when I turn the pc on for the 1st time without windows preloaded?

2. Should the computer recognise the vista64 disc straight away and start installing it without any problems?

3. Is there anything to be set up before I install vista64 like formating drives/partitions?
    Im clueless on this sort of thing

4. I have read on other forums that some people found that vista64 would not install with more than 2gb in the machine, that they were greeted by a blue screen of death with 4gb in the machine and
    had to take 2gigs out before windows would install? is this true/can it happen? After removing the 2gb they put it back in after vista64 installed and pc worked with the 4gb then.(this really scares me and I
    think i'd be better off with vista32 if this is true)

5. Once I have Vista64 installed it should automatically recognise that i have 4096mb of available memory?

6. Should all my components have 64bit drivers that are compatible with windows vista home premium 64 oem?

7. Is 4gigs enough for Vista64?

These are hte specifications im ordering with my new system, should all this be compatible?

Gigabyte 3d Aurora GZ-FSCAI-AN Black Aluminium Body
    Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3p, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2.67ghz, socket LGA775, 8mb, boxed w/fan
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB, CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 570M, 768mb GDDR3, Pci-express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 384-bit
    Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000, 750GB Sata2 32mb 7200rpm
    NEC DVD+RW Burner AD-7170 IDE Black
    Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    PC with no operating system
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110, Usb/ps2, keyboard/mouse retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng OEM DVD 64bit

Has anyone ordered a pc from komplett.ie using their system builder but selected vista 64 instead of 32bit?
    Has the procudure of installing vista64 onto a prebuilt komplett system being a stress free/painless operation?
    Is it more trouble than its worth to be going thru the 64bit Vista option?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, Im used to ordering computers prebuilt from dell and this is my first time to order a more custom built one from komplett and never had to install an operating system from scratch before.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You worry 2 much, hardest part of installing Vista is putting in the licence key :D

Guide here

Answers:
    1: you will get an error saying that there is nothing to boot from
    2: yes as long as its set to boot from dvd
    3: it will format the drive itself & create a partion of whatever size you want, You will be shown how big the hd is & set how much of that hd you want to use. If unsure just use it all.
    4: Have never heard of this happening, its easy just remove 2gb if needed. Not a major problem as you can pop them back in after.
    5: Yes
    6: Yes, should be on the disks. You will need to get the latest Creative & nVidia 64bit drivers from their website.
    7: yes, no application or game will use the full 4gb, you'l have loads of headroom.

Good luck,

Pog

#4 is actually true, I've seen it happen. If IDE bus mastering is enabled it can cause the installation to crash with more than 3GB of RAM on some boards. There's a hotfix available to correct it - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I ordered Vista64 with my new system, hopefully there shudnt be any problems when it comes to installing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Should all my components have 64bit drivers that are compatible with windows vista home premium 64 oem?

This is the big issue here , Vista 64bit must have certified 64bit drivers to work , and it will not take the 32bit drivers under any circumstances , so your going to need to go to every major components home webpage and see if they have Vista certified 64 bit drivers , if not , that device will not work under Vista 64bit.

That is , I would imagine , why Komplett will not build with Vista 64bit , drivers are still thin on the ground and take a lot of hunting down.

I checked , and there are 64 bit drivers for most of your components , the creative ones though , may give trouble , I dont see a Vista certification there. Non certified drivers will load on 32bit with a warning , but will not load on 64bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mathias wrote: »
    That is , I would imagine , why Komplett will not build with Vista 64bit , drivers are still thin on the ground and take a lot of hunting down.
    I would also imagine that many of the 64bit drivers are just rehashes or re-compiles of the 32-bit drivers and mightn't be perfect. It's one thing to not have a driver for a part, it's another to be constantly getting calls from customers because something only half works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement