Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking around the world for 6 Months

• 14-11-2007 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

Myself and My wife are planning to go on a long back packing trip next year for 6 months or so. We're looking for recommendations on were to go and the best way to get there. We are thinking about places like - Russia, Thailand, Vietnam, Austrailia, NZ, Fiji, Etc basically east of germany, and nice weather. Given that there are so many options and websites around it seems to be like an overload of info. We are both young (26-30). We are thinking Mar/apr if next year. We can begin for either Germany or the Uk.

As this Topic has a good amount of suggested places etc.
    Main things i would like to know is:
    How to get there - An open flight ticket, Trains, Buy flights in each country etc
    The best route to take
    Budget? Enough or to little ?
    Good companies to work with? travel agents, airlines etc
    anything else that can help us focus our search
    Required visas and vaccinations
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I booked my 12 month round the world ticket with Trailfinders and thought they were really good value. Would have booked flights along the way but one of the legs of my trip (New Zealand to South America) would have cost the price of the round the world ticket. I think for 6 months a round the world ticket would be a good idea so you don't have to worry about booking flights. You can't backtrack though - they normally go europe - asia - australia/new zealand - North America/South America - europe. I looked up tickets on the internet but really there was no difference in price with trailfinders and it was just easier to sort out! Haven't left yet so no idea what their customer service is like when you're on your travels but here's hoping it's good!

For what vaccinations you need you can search each country you want to visit at www.tmb.ie and see the recommended ones, I'd get them sorted out a couple of month beofre you leave.

As for budget you don't mention what your budget is so can't really comment on that. You get an 30 day entry stamp when you enter Thailand and you can get your Vietnam visa in Thailand, think its about $40, have a few passport phots with you too as lots of visas seem to require you give 2 or you have to pay more. Oz and New Zealand it will depend how long you stay whether you need a visa or not.

Also you seem to want hot weather so check what the weather will be like, New Zealand will be mid winter during our summer etc!
    A really good website is www.thorntree.lonelyplant.com, use the search function and put in any topic and lots of old threads with answers will come up, it has helped me so much in my planning!

Have fun on your trip!

Advertisement