Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

AgileMyth wrote: »
    With Optilase?

They do the procedure in Dublin but the follow up is all in Galway. Had it done in February. Best thing I've ever done.

No The Galway Clinic. http://www.westernlaserclinic.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Hi guys,

I have been thinking of getting laser eye surgery for quit a while now and I am about to start getting some consultations.
    It seems like the Mater is the place to go.
    I have rang this morning and I can get an appointment next week with Dr. Fitzsimon or wait until the middle of April to see Prof. O' Keefe.

Im thinking of emigrating in May so I dont really have the luxury of waiting to see Prof O'Keefe even though everyone seems to say he is the best.

What do you think my best option is? Surely Dr. Fitzsimon is every bit as good or she would not be working there?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Up to you. I waited to see Prof. O'Keeffe and I ended up seeing Dr. Fitzsimon anyway. O'Keeffe came in for a minute at the end. Although, obviously whoever officially does your consultation will obviously be doing the surgery. I'm sure she's competent but I've no idea frankly. I opted for the Wellington in the end.

Incidentally if you're emigrating you might want to think about this a little more. You have to have follow up appointments that usually include three months after and a year after. You can't do that if you're in Australia or wherever. Frankly, I'd only want to have the surgery in a place I could access easily if I have any problems down the line.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Up to you. I waited to see Prof. O'Keeffe and I ended up seeing Dr. Fitzsimon anyway. O'Keeffe came in for a minute at the end. Although, obviously whoever officially does your consultation will obviously be doing the surgery. I'm sure she's competent but I've no idea frankly. I opted for the Wellington in the end.

Incidentally if you're emigrating you might want to think about this a little more. You have to have follow up appointments that usually include three months after and a year after. You can't do that if you're in Australia or wherever. Frankly, I'd only want to have the surgery in a place I could access easily if I have any problems down the line.
    Thanks Mousewar. Yeah these are all things that I have been considering and why if I am going to get it done would rather it sooner to get some of the aftercare. Im heading to Canada btw which is also a big reason to want it done. I intend to do some more outdoor activities out there so not having to use glasses would be a bonus. (I dont like contacts at all)

I'd almost be inclined to get it done in Canada then but maybe that's just me. Bear in mind that most clinics offer a lifetime guarantee but I think only if you follow all the post-op advice, including attending the follow-ups.

• Advertisement

I had my consultation with Dr. Fitzsimon in the Mater last monday and everything went well so I am booked in for this wednesday for the surgery. I'm getting lasik with zeimer which means I can get both eyes done at the same time which is good. I have had a head cold over the weekend though so I will have to check with them if this would effect the surgery. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

I had my LASIK surgery with ziemer in January with Prof O'Keeffe in the Mater Private and I'm delighted with myself. They were fantastic in the hospital and great at calming me when had a mini panic attack. Prof O'Keeffe talked me through everything he was about to do and why.

I found the ziemer to be the most unnerving part of the procedure but the lovely nurse held my hand when I started freaking :) I was amazed that I could see straight away too. I think they thought I was nuts because I was delighted I could read the clock haha. Like everyone else, I had a lie down when I got home and wore the sunglasses for a few hours then I felt fine.

Do the Mater contact you for a follow up consultation as they only other contact I had was the next morning for a 2 minute check up? I'd like to know how successful it was as I'm still blurry at night and my left eye doesnt feel as strong as my right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Popsy wrote: »
    I had my LASIK surgery with ziemer in January with Prof O'Keeffe in the Mater Private and I'm delighted with myself. They were fantastic in the hospital and great at calming me when had a mini panic attack. Prof O'Keeffe talked me through everything he was about to do and why.

I found the ziemer to be the most unnerving part of the procedure but the lovely nurse held my hand when I started freaking :) I was amazed that I could see straight away too. I think they thought I was nuts because I was delighted I could read the clock haha. Like everyone else, I had a lie down when I got home and wore the sunglasses for a few hours then I felt fine.

Do the Mater contact you for a follow up consultation as they only other contact I had was the next morning for a 2 minute check up? I'd like to know how successful it was as I'm still blurry at night and my left eye doesnt feel as strong as my right.

The Zeimer is a bit unnerving alright. did you smell the burning? It was sore while they tried to get it to suction on. One Valium wasn't enough for me....I would have taken a packet if they let me! I got the hand holding too, very comforting, and there was also someone in taking pictures when I got mine done. I think they said something to do with keeping records of how it was done, but I can't remember much, I was doing my best to zone out!

I went back the next day and they told me to follow up I think the week after then 2 weeks then 4 and I forget after that but i do know i went back after 6 months and I went back last week for my annual check up and they discharged me. I was given my next appointment every time I visited so maybe it was an oversight, give them a call and they will book you in.

It will take a good few weeks to settle down completely, maybe even a few months. I remember having a snooze one afternoon and slept completely on my face. (It was after I was finished wearing the Hanibal Lecter mask). I kid you not, probably the most frightening thing ever, my left eye was a mega blur, it was blind territory and no glasses could have possibly cured it and it lasted about 10 minutes. I'm guessing the flap hadn't completely healed even though they told me it had. No problems ever since.

My left eye is not as sharp as my right eye, but I still have better than 20:20 vision in it and my right eye is perfect (can read the bottom line, left eye maybe 3rd last line).

Suction?!
    Everything I read about Lasik makes me glad I had Lasek. Procedure was a doddle and no flap equals no suction. The payoff is meant to be more pain afterwards but I had no pain whatsoever.

I got mine done yesterday. I got Lasik with zeimer so was able to get both eyes done at the same time.
    I got my left eye done first with no problems. The pressure was uncomfortable but not sore. After that I got my right eye done but they had a bit of trouble getting my cornea centred so they had to try four or five times. This was a bit sore but good as well that they waited until it was perfect before proceeding.
    I was a bit blind straight away but once I got home I could see a bit better. I decided to go for a sleep for an hour and after that the vision was definitely improving. By around 5 or 6 o'clock my vision was nearly normal.
    I had my checkup this morning and everything is good. My right eye is slightly stronger than the left but that has been the way for a good few years so no surprise there.

My vision now seems good. When my eyes start getting tired they are not quite as good but I'm sure that will go whilst they heal.
    Its a great feeling not needing glasses. I have went to grab them a few times already forgetting they aren't there :) Also simple things like walking in the rain and opening a hot dishwasher without fogging up is a nice novelty :D

• Advertisement

Good to hear BF.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Suction?!
    Everything I read about Lasik makes me glad I had Lasek. Procedure was a doddle and no flap equals no suction. The payoff is meant to be more pain afterwards but I had no pain whatsoever.

Yea, the Zeimer basically sucks onto your eyeball. As BFassassin says, it is a bit uncomfortable but not really painful. A bit like someone standing on your chest, just pressure as O'Keefe pushes it down but once it locks on it's grand. The laser then burns the flap open perfectly. One of my eyes locked on in seconds, the other took a few tries and that was a bit unnerving.
    BFassassin wrote: »
    Its a great feeling not needing glasses. I have went to grab them a few times already forgetting they aren't there :) Also simple things like walking in the rain and opening a hot dishwasher without fogging up is a nice novelty :D

I was reaching for my specs for months. I used to be -5.5 and keep forgeting I can actually see now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

Are most places charging for the consult now?
    Wellington are looking for €100, which they'll take off the overall price if i go ahead with it.

Petroglyph wrote: »
    Are most places charging for the consult now?
    Wellington are looking for €100, which they'll take off the overall price if i go ahead with it.

Yeah, the Wellington and the Mater charge alright - the Mater is €130 and it doesn't come off the surgery price. I think they found that people went to them for the free consult because they valued their expertise but then went elsewhere for the surgery when they gave them the go-ahead. I think most of the highstreet places still don't charge for the consults.

I was very happy to pay the consult fee at the Wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donnacham

anyone have a bad experience at optilase in cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chocoholic

I couldn't recommend Optilase in Cork highly enough. Let me know if you've any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bellissima Beauty

Has anyone had Lasik done in Blackrock clinic? Would love to hear your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

I would love e100 off in optilase please, I'm booked in for May 10th. Cheers!

Also, is the pain after Lasso really that bad? I'm thinking 3/4 days in bed is worth it for e500 less!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Google the CPSU website - I'm not a union member but got me 20% off.

Absolutely no problem, watching tv that evening.... still perfect a year and a half later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Does anyone know are the prices open to any sort of bargaining at the Wellington or theMater?The other half is having a consultation soon.

• Advertisement

baldbear wrote: »
    Does anyone know are the prices open to any sort of bargaining at the Wellington or theMater?The other half is having a consultation soon.

Probably less so there than other places but sure have a go at it. I had it at the Wellington and was delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

I had it done this morning and I'm perfect now. No discomfort and I can see as if I was wearing my glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Good stuff Louise, best of luck now with the recovery.
    At the start I was so obsessed with taking the drops and minding my eyes (I wore the night goggles for way longer than they recommended) it took me a while to appreciate my "new" corrected eyesight, really appreciate it now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I had laser eye surgery over a year ago with ultralase in Cork. No problems and better vision than I ever had.

Best decision of my life :)

I'm having my eye procedure today in the Wellington. I shouldn't be on this forum at this stage. Very nervous but excited.

baldbear wrote: »
    I'm having my eye procedure today in the Wellington. I shouldn't be on this forum at this stage. Very nervous but excited.

They're really good there. Which surgeon are you having?

They're really good there. Which surgeon are you having?
    I went for lasik. My oh had lasek a few weeks ago so that made my mind up. I had Dr. Corkin. Everything went well. The dr. and gis team were very informative during the procedure which reassured me.

The Car journey home wasn't good. My Eyes were very sensitive and watery. I Had a lie down afterwords and my eyes feel much better. So far so good. I can read number plates. Crazy feeling. My eyes have been reborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bellissima Beauty

If anyone's interested I've blogged about my LASIK experience so far, thought it'd be too long to post in here
    http://bellissimabeauty18.blogspot.ie/2013/06/my-lasik-experience.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stephen_e

Think very carefully before having Lasik done. Do not do it, unless you have a very good reason to. Do not make the same mistake I did.

I had Lasik in 2001, 12 years later I have complications, my corneas are steep, and my vision blurred. I am a software engineer, and my life is ruined.
    I worry for my future, my independence, and my life, I am depressed and suiciudal. I was never advised of the risks, I was under the impression that the surgey was like having a hair cut. I was young (21) and naive. I have to pay for this mistake the rest of my life, I remember sitting waiting to go into surgery with my Mom when I was handed a consent form, my first reaction was I am leaving, I should have. The pre op was a joke, no topography, pentacam, post op was the same. Although things are different now, I have to live with this pain the rest of my life, I don't thiink I can. To make matters worse I did not need this surgey there was no justification for it. After surgey my vision did not improve, but I could function as normal until now.

In the last few weeks I have visited a number of Opthamolgists, but there is not a lot they would do apart from recommending contacts. I am currently being fitted but is difficult due to the shape of my corneas. From searching on the Internet CXL looks promising to halt progression, other than that there is not a lot.

I attented a reputable clinic.

Please be careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

stephen_e wrote: »
    Think very carefully before having Lasik done. Do not do it, unless you have a very good reason to. Do not make the same mistake I did.

The pre op was a joke, no topography, pentacam, post op was the same.
    Sorry to hear your story. I think in 2001 there was alot less known about the procedure and the important pre/post op checks. Hopefully there are no more of these type of poor service clinics out there.
    Although things are different now,
    Hopefully. I am considering Wavefront at the moment.

Advertisement