Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backstage fight at Smackdown tapings

• 14-11-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Source: PWInsider.com

A fight broke out backstage last night in Wichita, Kansas after SmackDown! was taped. After the show was over, JBL gathered a number of WWE superstars together, including John Morrison, The Miz, MVP, CM Punk, and Matt Hardy.

JBL berated Miz and Morrison for their color commentary work on ECW. JBL was furious that the two made Punk look bad with their commentary. They were heels and were supposed to criticize Punk in a heel way, but JBL felt they went too far with it. JBL then yelled at them for their ring work during their match with MVP & Matt Hardy. JBL told Miz & Morrizon to apologize to Punk, MVP & Hardy for making all 3 of them look bad.

The Miz apologized, but Morrison told JBL “F*ck you, it's none of your business”. He then said he would apologize to Punk, Hardy & MVP, but not because JBL told him to.

The confrontation went back and forth until Morrison shoved JBL. Several agents broke up the dispute before it got further than a shove.

further proof if it were needed that JBL is an unmitigated twat and bully, lockerroom leader my ass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

His heart was in the right place.

Fair play to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Morrison vs JBL, I can't pick a winner, both rule. Hopefully nothing drastic comes of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Look for JBL to go unpunished as usual, Morrison, one of the best up and coming stars in the company will probably be jobbed out for a few weeks then Vince will expect the fans to give a rats when he starts winning again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

morrison must have balls of steel to go up against an ex pro football right tackle :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

JBL berated Miz and Morrison for their color commentary work on ECW. JBL was furious that the two made Punk look bad with their commentary. They were heels and were supposed to criticize Punk in a heel way, but JBL felt they went too far with it.

This is the most hilarious bit of hypocrisy I've heard in some time! JBL furious about making Punk look bad on commentary? This is the guy who consistently week after week made negative comments about The Miz when he was on Smackdown making him look bad. And not "in a heel way" but in a "being a dick" way.

And it's laughable for him to criticise people's ring work when he has gone out to hurt people in the ring in the past!

I've been growing fond of JBL the last while and I really like his commentary work of late but incidents like this just make him look like an arrogant buffoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah JBL was and still is consistently taking personal shots at people on Smackdown. Completely unprofessional. He's still trying to maintain that he's one of the main guys in the locker room, probably looking to take over from Undertaker when he eventually retires!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If it's true then I don't see anything wrong with what JBL did

Sure, maybe JBL is hypocritical if you look at how he treated the Miz while he was on commentary. But the Miz sucks. JBL manages to hype up every other wrestler when he's commentating, even if his character doesn't like that wrestler. I haven't heard what the Miz and Morrison were saying while they were commentating, but if they were making Punk sound unimportant and bad then someone needed to say something to them. And who better than a commentator?!

If their match with MVP and Matt wasn't up to standard, then I can also understand why they should get some criticism for it, given the nature of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Let's not forget that he is....

A.....WRESTLING.....GAWD!

IMO, JBL was right to do what he did and I think what he did was right. Nitro was just being a spoiled child "I'll apologise, but not because you said so".

Fozzy wrote: »
    If it's true then I don't see anything wrong with what JBL did

Sure, maybe JBL is hypocritical if you look at how he treated the Miz while he was on commentary. But the Miz sucks.

I agree with you The Miz sucks (sorry Bubs!) but this is STAGGERING hypocrisy on JBL's part. The fact he's actually requesting THE MIZ to apologise for doing a burial job on a guy whilst on commentary! That's incredible to me!

It's kind of like Randy Orton criticising someone for unprofessional behaviour or Chris Masters berating someone for steroid use...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

krudler wrote: »
    further proof if it were needed that JBL is an unmitigated twat and bully, lockerroom leader my ass

I'll disagree here. Morrison shoved JBL. JBL could have pulled a Blue Meanie and gone through Morrison for a shortcut. Given his history, this is actually tame for JBL.

VR!

• Advertisement

JBL doesn't bury people on commentary does he? I haven't actually watched SD in months so I've only heard him on the PPVs recently, but he's always talking up about how each wrestler can win the match and he hypes up their skills. He'll sometimes slag a guy for having a stupid haircut or something like that, but he'll never say that someone can't wrestle, which is what I'm being led to believe is the sort of thing Miz and Morrison were saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It stories like this that shows behind it all, wrestlers are a bunch of grown up men acting like they're still in transition year.

JBL doesn't bury people any more and I reckon personally he's currently the best color commentator in WWE but the crazy thing with The Miz was that even though Miz was heel JBL would still sh*t all over the guy. And according to the report:
    They were heels and were supposed to criticize Punk in a heel way, but JBL felt they went too far with it.

The thing is JBL went too far with the Miz stuff every time he wrestled a match on Smackdown so I'm actually incredulous that he can accuse the Miz of the very thing he himself is guilty of! He should apologise to The Miz if anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm completely with JBL on this one. I've always been struck at how he, more than any commentator puts the talent over regardless of whether they're heel or face. With regards to the Miz to be honest **** him, he's a nobody in the business. If JBL choses to bury him at least he's in a position of power from which to do so. The Miz on he other hand should be unbelievably grateful he was EVER employed by WWE and certainly shouldn't be taking liberties with other people on the mic.

As for Morrisson he should also know his place too and knowing what we all know about the esteem, in which JBL is held, would be unwise to start picking fights with him.

It might sound unfair but we all know there's a pecking order in WWE and nobodies like the Miz should know their place to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

JBL doesn't bury people on commentary does he? I haven't actually watched SD in months so I've only heard him on the PPVs recently, but he's always talking up about how each wrestler can win the match and he hypes up their skills. He'll sometimes slag a guy for having a stupid haircut or something like that, but he'll never say that someone can't wrestle, which is what I'm being led to believe is the sort of thing Miz and Morrison were saying

I completely agree here. I think JBL was spot on to criticise if Miz and Morrison were saying stuff like that. JBL is the experienced veteran and deserves more respect than being told to "f**k you" and being shoved when he offers an opinion. Not only does this make Morrison look disrespectful and arrogant, the fact that he said he'll appologies but not cos JBL said so makes him look very childish. Morrison should be thanking his lucky stars that people were there to stop this going further cos JBL is more than capable of kicking the living s**t out of him!

One of the things people are failing to grasp here is that JBL is only trying to improve the product by pointing out the mistake that were made. I seriously doubt he was criticising for any sort of personal gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

who gives a flying fcuk about the miz.fair play to morrison anyways.:D

who gives a flying fcuk about the miz.fair play to morrison anyways.:D

Bubs101 does!
    VR!

Ok, I just watched the ECW main event and I don't think that the initial report is totally accurate. The Miz and Morrison definitely didn't "go too far" in criticising Punk. In fact, they almost completely ignored him. Tazz and Joey were feeding them lines at points to get them to talk about Punk

The Miz was doing alright, he talked up the title match and what he wants from it, but Morrison was woeful. He kept talking over Miz and saying stupid things. At one point he just started going "and that's why they call me the Tuesday Night Delight" (or whatever it is "they" call him), but there was no lead-in to it! He just came out with it from nowhere. He sort of admitted that Punk bet him last week, then he said he was beaten by a hat, then when the conversation had moved on a bit he said that he wasn't beaten by a hat, he was beaten by himself. The two of them were talking over each other when Punk started his comeback too, with Morrison saying that he's like Jesus if Jesus knew kung-fu or some ****e

So I can understand JBL not liking what they did with the commentary, it was obvious how Tazz and Joey kept bringing up Punk for them to talk about, but that report has to have the reason why JBL gave out to them wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ok, I just watched the ECW main event and I don't think that the initial report is totally accurate. The Miz and Morrison definitely didn't "go too far" in criticising Punk. In fact, they almost completely ignored him. Tazz and Joey were feeding them lines at points to get them to talk about Punk

The Miz was doing alright, he talked up the title match and what he wants from it, but Morrison was woeful. He kept talking over Miz and saying stupid things. At one point he just started going "and that's why they call me the Tuesday Night Delight" (or whatever it is "they" call him), but there was no lead-in to it! He just came out with it from nowhere. He sort of admitted that Punk bet him last week, then he said he was beaten by a hat, then when the conversation had moved on a bit he said that he wasn't beaten by a hat, he was beaten by himself. The two of them were talking over each other when Punk started his comeback too, with Morrison saying that he's like Jesus if Jesus knew kung-fu or some ****e

So I can understand JBL not liking what they did with the commentary, it was obvious how Tazz and Joey kept bringing up Punk for them to talk about, but that report has to have the reason why JBL gave out to them wrong

So in fact JBL is even more justified in chewing them out for basically doing a bad bad job. Fair play to him.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I'll disagree here. Morrison shoved JBL. JBL could have pulled a Blue Meanie and gone through Morrison for a shortcut. Given his history, this is actually tame for JBL.

VR!

I've no doubt Layfield could hand both Morrison and the Meanie a serious beating, let's tell the story right, he didn't go through the Meanie for a shortcut, he sucker punched in the middle of an angle.But i guess your right, approaching someone in the locker room and bullying them at least gives them some warning, more so than the cowardly way he handled his beef with the Meanie, so it is a slight improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

One could argue that Morison was acting in character but not having heard it myself yet I wont be doing that. But aside from who was right and wrong in this I think one of the key things to take from this is that JBL does not command the respect in the locker room that he thinks he does. If it was taker chewing them out I doubt that Morison would have reacted that way. Also none of us know what kind of relationship JBL and Morison have. This could be the culmination of problems that have existed for a while.

Personaly I think JBL is a bully and thinks way more of himself than he should. He got 2 years at the top which he he did well with but the rest of his career was pretty mediocre stuff.

layfield is takers best buddy in the WWE, thats where he gets his authority, or so he believes anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I did not want to wake up to this. This is sheer ridiculousness on JBL's part. For one, his commentary has gon so far downhill since the brand split because he doesn't have the MIZ! to play off. Secondly, although he's not the greatest technician out there, he always gives his all and actually enjoys what he does. For JBL to lambast a young wrestler like that is completely unproffessional. But the worst of all is that JBL had the cheek to criticize his mic work.

Say all you want about the MIZ! but he has alot more experience with mic work and presenting and all that jazz than everybody in ECW and he always does a great job. I'm not surprised to hear in Fozzy's report the MIZ! did a great job in commentary, those kinds of areas are where he shines and if he ever does get pulled out of the ring (heaven forbid) it's not exactly hard to see him taking Grisham's job. JBL is clearly jealous of his prospects.

He was a littl harsh on Morrison too

D-FENS wrote: »
    I've no doubt Layfield could hand both Morrison and the Meanie a serious beating, let's tell the story right, he didn't go through the Meanie for a shortcut, he sucker punched in the middle of an angle.But i guess your right, approaching someone in the locker room and bullying them at least gives them some warning, more so than the cowardly way he handled his beef with the Meanie, so it is a slight improvement.

JBL didn't bully him though. He pulled him aside and gave him a pep talk, one Morrison wasn't particularly happy in receiving. So Morrison responded by shoving him.

At least thats based on the facts that we have to hand.
    VR!

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Personaly I think JBL is a bully and thinks way more of himself than he should. He got 2 years at the top which he he did well with but the rest of his career was pretty mediocre stuff.

Did he even get two years? He got about a year at the top an then dwindled back to midcard where he finished off and retired. He was just established in his last two years. But the rest of his WWE career was throwaway junk, i'll agree.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I did not want to wake up to this. This is sheer ridiculousness on JBL's part. For one, his commentary has gon so far downhill since the brand split because he doesn't have the MIZ! to play off. Secondly, although he's not the greatest technician out there, he always gives his all and actually enjoys what he does. For JBL to lambast a young wrestler like that is completely unproffessional. But the worst of all is that JBL had the cheek to criticize his mic work.

Say all you want about the MIZ! but he has alot more experience with mic work and presenting and all that jazz than everybody in ECW and he always does a great job. I'm not surprised to hear in Fozzy's report the MIZ! did a great job in commentary, those kinds of areas are where he shines and if he ever does get pulled out of the ring (heaven forbid) it's not exactly hard to see him taking Grisham's job. JBL is clearly jealous of his prospects.

Did you not see how bad a job miz did presenting the diva search a few years ago? Week after week, he used to make a horses arse out of it live on Raw! I thought he was absolutely shocking at the presenting gig, nearly as bad as he is at wrestling.

The only positive thing i have to say about miz is that he was a good personality on the real world but it starts and ends there!

Did he even get two years? He got about a year at the top an then dwindled back to midcard where he finished off and retired. He was just established in his last two years. But the rest of his WWE career was throwaway junk, i'll agree.

VR!

what??? you are trying to tell me you didn't enjoy bradshaw smoking cigars, drinking beer and playing cards in the back week after week, and that door frame, brilliant :p

seriously though APA were an okay tag-team, they probably worked because you knew these guys were legit tough-guys unlike someone like the major brothers or the headbangers.

The APA were fun to watch as far as backstage promos go, but in the ring they were horrible. Simmons was about 8 years past his use by date when the APA were at their peak.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Its been well documented that JBL is a bully backstage.The report says he BERATED them.Now there is a big difference between constructive criticism and being berated.I would have liked to hear exactly what was said.

If JBL was offering proper advice,I say fair enough but if he was cursing and belittling them personally and professionally and ridiculing them,I say fair fcuks to Morrison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

From reading the article I thought the two made punk look bad by not talking about him at all, basically disregarding him. Considering he holds the belt that miz and morrisson are after, they should have talked him up (or even down) a good bit. But to disregard punk is certainly the wrong thing to do.

As for JBL burying the Miz on smackdown ... well ... I thought it was appropriate, because there is no reason at all for the JBL character to like the Miz character. If JBL did a good job burying him, then Micheal Cole did just a good in building miz up.

The report from Figure Four Online is more accurate:
    There was a major incident backstage at the Smackdown tapings. Miz and Morrison were sent out to do commentary on the CM Punk vs. Jamie Noble match, and they talked over themselves and yelled at each other and it became so heated that they paid no attention to the match whatsoever. Later, they teamed up against MVP & Matt Hardy and apparently the work was horrible. So backstage, JBL laced into them about both issues, telling them they owed everyone involved an apology. Apparently Miz was fine with this but Morrison apologized to the guys and told JBL to mind his own business. According to one source, he actually shoved him. Seriously. There was nearly a killing, but it was broken up. No idea what this will mean for Morrison's future, but things like this usually aren't good.

Obviously I haven't seen SD, but I'd guess that the Miz was pretty bad in that match, as he did a lot better than Morrison at the commentating. Plus, SD
    Morrison and the Miz won the tag titles in that match. If it was a bad match then it could have spoiled the MVP/Matt feud, which has been the longest running angle in WWE

Say all you want about the MIZ! but he has alot more experience with mic work and presenting and all that jazz than everybody in ECW and he always does a great job.

Like slicus ricus said, the Miz was awful at that diva search presenting. The very first week he messed up his lines and he was just painful to watch. The fact is that if he hadn't been on The Real World, he wouldn't have a job in WWE right now. Also, Punk would have a lot more experience than Miz on the mic in front of crowds, as well as commentating

I think you'll find that MTV's audience is slighlty bigger than ROH's and they had enough confidence in him to make him the focus of all their Real World vs. Road Rules shows. He certainly has more experience on a bigger stage than Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I think you'll find that MTV's audience is slighlty bigger than ROH's and they had enough confidence in him to make him the focus of all their Real World vs. Road Rules shows. He certainly has more experience on a bigger stage than Punk.

I think the real difference is talking into a camera and interacting with a live audience, which Miz has little to know experience of in comparison with Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

The MIZ! is more comprable to someone off Big Brother than he is a wrestler. He's the star of a reality show whose five minutes of fame should have ended long ago. He is improving to his credit but is still far from as good as he should be for someone in his position. He is really green in the ring, somehow, after having a program with Benoit, and clearly he has no idea on how to talk on tv without a script written for him. Morisson should definitely know better at this stage too, and JBL was damn right to do what he did.

Update on this from PWInsider:
    To update on the backstage fight between JBL and John Morrison after this week's SmackDown tapings, those who are close to the situation say JBL was basically just standing up for performers he felt had gone out of their way to make The Miz and John Morrison look good, only for the two to not hold up their end by doing the same thing and make everyone who was involved look bad going into a pay-per-view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

:rolleyes:

amull87 wrote: »
    I think the real difference is talking into a camera and interacting with a live audience, which Miz has little to know experience of in comparison with Punk.

Nail on the head here, hence why he's not on RAW on a full time basis, and probably never will be unless his mic skill improves. It's easy to look good on a taped show when you can do a two, maybe even three taker. Miz needs that safety net otherwise he's screwed.

VR!

Yeah but Miz is only learning. Of course he needs a safety net. Punk had years doing what was effectively High School Gym Wrestling to get better. The Miz was brought in as another publicity stunt by Vince. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for sticking at it and constantly improving. He has a few really solid signiture moves now and he can get a rise out of the ECW fans much easier than Big Daddy V, and considering the push he's gotten that's saying alot.

He really should get alot of respect sticking at this when he could just go back to MTV and probably earn more money

Advertisement