Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day to be cancelled

Options
  • 14-11-2007 9:53pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not to sure if people spotted this in the "Campus Times" newsletter that is circulating, but it seems this year is a tough one for Students Union as the college is considering not running the usual "Christmas Day" that happens each christmas. Apparently, the college have just had enough of all the trouble that consides with it - and residents of Templers Hall are claiming that last christmas day was terrible there but also in general the place is terrible - claiming some students are like "animals".

Im sure you all heard stories of tragic events on these events - including a girl getting raped and a guy getting his leg amputated when he jumped in between a lorry (apparently, this chap has now passed away. Not confirmed though). Christmas Day, according to one lecturer when I was in first year, was supposed to be a chairty thing with lots of really good events. However, he claims its turned into another excuse to go out and get drunk. Cant say iv noticed, as it was like that when I joined WIT.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Sully wrote: »
    Im sure you all heard stories of tragic events on these events - including a girl getting raped and a guy getting his leg amputated when he jumped in between a lorry (apparently, this chap has now passed away. Not confirmed though).

Someone will have to explain this event a little more for an outsider, but if someone was raped and another person died then I think a cancellation is the proper course of action

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Someone will have to explain this event a little more for an outsider, but if someone was raped and another person died then I think a cancellation is the proper course of action

To sum it up..

A day of college to get completely hammered in the Dome and in the various clubs around the town to celebrate Christmas! (The Day off bit isnt advised, if I recall, you were always told to go to class)

It may have been more charity focused and less drink orientated (if thats the right word) original though.

As a result, there have been a number of incidents (I suppose some would argue that such incidents happen anyway..) which is why the college doesnt like to support it and are now considering pulling the plug (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The college may not put it's name to this, but clubs around town have already secured bands and the planned entertainment will go ahead as advertised.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sure, but it means that the college wont permit the Dome to hold celebrations or anyother part of the college. Outside of that, maybe they just cant stick the Students Union badge or WIT logo to it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

From what I can gather, the Dome isn't closed, the only thing that won't be sold are shots during the day and perhaps other student-orientated bars such as Bad Bobs will get the custom during the day. Afterwards it'll be the usual free-for-all in town.

• Advertisement

I think the Dome will be "business as usual" but nothing special for Xmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

From what I can gather, the Dome isn't closed, the only thing that won't be sold are shots during the day .

That won't matter....they had to sell beer out of the boxes last year it was selling so ...didn't even get time to put it in the fridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What sort of communists would cancel christmas? Christmas is a time for alcohol, food and many a craic! I'm sure alot of terrible ordeals occur on Paddy's day too, but that's no reason to cancel it!

We will ignore this problem until it goes away. Christmas will happen and nobody, not even Dick Spring can stop it!

Most likely what's going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Got a text from the Student's Union today, the college have agreed to have christmas day. They are still settling on a date, but should let us know before the end of the week! Thay are also urging Templar's Hall resident students to take part in the clean-up, otherwise they may cancel it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

My class rep said that he heard the dome will be closed on christmas day.

Minto wrote: »
    Got a text from the Student's Union today, the college have agreed to have christmas day. They are still settling on a date, but should let us know before the end of the week! Thay are also urging Templar's Hall resident students to take part in the clean-up, otherwise they may cancel it again.

You mean all class reps who are registered with students union got a text, right? They didn't pick you out cause your special by any chance? ;)

Anyway, as Minto said - its going ahead for sure. Id imagine the whole Templers Hall being the issue the college had, and the SU and Students working together on that issue has helped a lot.

The Dome had a notice up today, apparently, saying that its not today but a date is yet to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Sully wrote: »
    You mean all class reps who are registered with students union got a text, right? They didn't pick you out cause your special by any chance? ;)

Did I say it was because I was special? No. I didn't think it was all that necessary to mention it was a rep only text, but I'll remember to cite all other info I post here infuture. :p

Ah im only gawling lad, its just the way you said it - twas like you were pointing out that they text you and only you. :p Id imagine you didnt mean it like that! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

I heard a rumour it was the fifth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Isn't that when it was originally supposed to be?

Probably........Anyone hear how the clean up of templars went yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Hard luck Christmas day in waterford, theres gonna be some killing it going on!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

They cant really cancel just give a few drink safely tips

• Advertisement

New topic started in the City forum:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54591652

Students, have your say ;)

Advertisement