Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Query - Change of Ownership & Arrears

Options
  • 14-11-2007 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Have had a company car for the last 2.5 years & have had previous car parked up at parents house. A friend of mine offered to buy the car off me but is worried about assuming responsibility for motor tax arrears.

Have tried to assure him that he won't so he's looking into it seperately. If I sell car to him & he taxes it, will I assume responsibility or receive notification the motor tax arrears outstanding...............confused....................

How does the process work??????? Don't want to be gettin massive demand for cash in de post!!!!!

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The new owner is not responsible for arrears. He just pays tax from the first day of the month that ownership changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And if the motortax office is looking for back tax get a standard declaration form signed and stamped in the local Garda station stating the period the car was off the road. If the car was genuinly not used on the public road the local guard will have no problem at all doing that for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the car is off the road, then technically you're supposed to declare that before taxing it again, but as you're selling it then you don't have to.

Your mate will declare the previous arrears as "previous owner period" and neither of you will hear any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    The new owner is not responsible for arrears. He just pays tax from the first day of the month that ownership changed.

Exactly!

Advertisement