Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bologna agreement and MAs

Options
  • 14-11-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with the bologna agreement and MAs?
    I'm doing an MA in economics and the dept who frankly aren't very nice are trying to dodge being supervisors for our theses. They have a bull**** plan to only let the top 10 of a class of 25 do theses and the others have to do two unsupervised research projects. Considering they are a big department and they have enough staff I think they are just being lazy considering we've all paid 5 grand for the alleged privilege of a UCD masters. I'm wondering whether they can actually get away with doing this though, I've heard it mentioned that it won't be a real MA without a these. Can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There a very few masters that wouldn't have some sort of a thesis component, so it would be rather unusual but due to the fact you'd have two rather lengthy (i presume) research projects this would probably consitute more than enough in terms of the work needed for a thesis.

Plus in my expert opinion being midst thesis, they suck. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I don't believe Bologna specifies anything about a thesis. It does require 90 credits. So if Economics can get you to 90 credits, I don't think Bologna is relevant, though I could be wrong.

Of course UCD is cheating on that score as well. In most countries, given the way the European Credit Transfer system works, courses cannot be worth 10 credits and it therefore takes 2 years to earn the MA. UCD decided that wouldn't be cost effective so they simply boosted the amount of work (on paper only) required for MA classes in order to make them worth 10 credits each.

If the thesis is normally worth 30 credits, it'd be some kind of 'research project' that would be worth that much. 30 credits in the ECTS is somewhere between 600-900 hours of work.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm doing an MA in UCD and my dissertation is worth 45 credits! Which is a crazy amount. but fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

So basically although they're ripping us off its legit?

Advertisement