Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do i need to Spend....

• 14-11-2007 11:22pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

...To get a decent HDTV in the 37" - 42" region?

I have been looking at the Samsung LE40M86BD and it seems very good, and gets great reviews, but after reading avforums there seems to be quite a few bugs and free view analogue stuttering issues... The TV is around the 1000 euro mark

What would you in the 1000-1500 price bracket? (preferably closer to 1000 :p )
    I dont want to skimp a few hundred euro and be left with a mediocre TV for years...

I would prefer 1080p, but i would take great picture quality over higher resolution :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭karl200607

I think in that budget range u should consider the panasonic th-42pv70 plasma at 1,260 on komplett it will give an overall better picture on sd sky than any lcd especially around that price.

A full hd panel will not have the same sharpness on sd sky mainly because of the increased resolution and pixels.

But dont just take my word for it u should look at them both side by side.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

1024*768? Thats 4:3! how does it handle 16:9 content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,410 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would probably get a 720p projector (currently have 480p one)

personally wouldn't be too worried about 720p vs 1080p
    would probably consider strongly going for larger 720p plasma over smaller 1080p lcd

Probably not really relevent to what your think about getting and can understand anybody wanting a 1080p display, but i watch some HD stuff from BBC HD, looks equally great on 480p projector and on 1680x1050 laptop, sharper smoother picture on high res display, but prefer the projector most days.

conzymaher wrote: »

it's not 4:3, it uses rectangular pixels instead of square pixels an so is 16:9

So what happens when you play a 4:3 1024*768 video?

Anywhoo bought a Sharp Aquos LC37XD1E for 999 :)

• Advertisement

if you set the aspect ratio to native it would fill the screen and be 16:9 shaped
    if you set the aspect ratio to auto or 4:3 it would add black bars to the side of the picture and use something like 820x768 pixels (not sure if thats correct, but something like that)

congrats on new tv :)

thank you!

Been most of the day making a bracket and hanging it on the wall...

TV.jpg

Just finished :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

At that resolution I'd stay away , panasonics are good , but that resolution is troublesome , get a 16:9 res if possible , the rectangular pixels thing .... pay no attention , a pixel is a pixel and stretching is stretching , you dont want stretching , in that resolution ( 1024 x 768 is 4:3 ) signal content is thrown away no matter how well it does it.

You want 1920 x 1080 or 1366 x 768 , both 16:9 ( or close enough not to make a difference ) , and if you want SD to look the best it can go for the smaller 37 inch over the bigger screen , its the size of the screen that ultimately affects its SD performance , because its magnifying the lower resolution .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

Conzy is there any ghosting while watching sport on the TV? I want to go for a 37 or 40 inch LCD but not sure of the quality of the picture for sport - rugby in particular.

Any views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That all depends if ur gonna be watching in sd or hd.I'm assuming its standard definition so i'd recommend a bravia. They seem to look good recieving sd.I recently saw a 40" bravia with 1080p for 1299euro

• Advertisement

Im very impressed with the quality of SD footage on it, I was expecting horrible jaggies and ghosting but its very good..

Im not really a football fan but I watched a little bit of the NI match and some American Football and all seemed well :)

P.s I only have an analogue coaxial cable connecting it to the SKY box, so if you had it connected with scart it would be a lot better I would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It might make a small difference but you'd be hard pressed to notice it, i'd say

Advertisement