Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Donald Rumsfeld quote - source?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have heard that Donald Rumsfeld once said,

"It's not our fault that God put America's oil underneath other people's countries".

Is this true? If so, when and where did he say it? I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Can't say I've heard it before, and a few minutes of web searching turns up nothing either. I'm inclined to think it's either a fabrication or a gross distortion of something he really did say, so much so that even modifications of the above quote aren't coming up with any hits for me.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

1. I doubt it's true.
    2. If it is true, then it's ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

What manic, you don't know?

Would that be one of these famous known unknowns? Or is that Unkown Knowns? :rolleyes:

I better stop before I get too confused. :D

Seriously though, even he couldn't be that stupid to say something like that. So I'd tend to believe that it's not his words.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sorry, mate. I know many things, but sometimes even I have limits.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

nij wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have heard that Donald Rumsfeld once said,

"It's not our fault that God put America's oil underneath other people's countries".

Is this true? If so, when and where did he say it? I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks!
    Well, there's the 'Cheney Report', or the National Energy Strategy document (I think that's what it's called), which effectively concludes that (or maybe it was the concurrently published CIA document on America's national energy security) for some reason that most of the world's oil is beneath countries that don't like America very much.

Behind it is the idea that more oil must now come from Africa.

So maybe Dick 'Halliburton' Cheney said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

It was probably dreamed up by Jay Leno's scriptwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Rumsfeld would not have the intelligence or wit for such a pun nor any sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

probably made up by people intent on ruining this great US administration's reputation.

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    probably made up by people intent on ruining this great US administration's reputation.

It does not need anybody else to ruin the US administration ,it is doing fine on its own .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I actually believe he did say it but I will also look around on the search engines.

But, all his actions bespoke someone who believes that it's Americas right to take from others what rightfully belongs to America. It's a bit like mob raketeering, you give us a cut or the cream or what we want and we will let you do business and protect you. You don't give us a cut or what we want then we attack you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I dunno... I'm sure I would have seen something about this on either the daily show or the colbert report..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

but on a similar note, some pearls of wisdom from the same man...

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2006/rumsfeld/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It does not need anybody else to ruin the US administration ,it is doing fine on its own .

The US administration is protecting our interests.

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    The US administration is protecting our interests.

Keep dreaming Spaced Out .The US protects its own interests ,always has.

Advertisement