Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"As well"

• 14-11-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

I was writing in MS Word just now, and used the word "aswell". Tt threw up a spelling error and suggested that I use "as well". I looked it up on the net and apparently there is no such word as "aswell". What the hell? I love finding new words that I haven't heard before, but this is the first time I can remember that it has gone the other way around. I've been using a word (in speach and writing) for years, and it just doesnt exist. I have no idea how I picked it up.

Does anybody else use this word, or more to the point, does anybody know why I thought it existed when it doesn't??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I think you are alone on that one. Twas always two separate words for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Probably the same reason people spell a lot as alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Antilles wrote: »
    I was writing in MS Word just now, and used the word "aswell". Tt threw up a spelling error and suggested that I use "as well". I looked it up on the net and apparently there is no such word as "aswell". What the hell? I love finding new words that I haven't heard before, but this is the first time I can remember that it has gone the other way around. I've been using a word (in speach and writing) for years, and it just doesnt exist. I have no idea how I picked it up.

Does anybody else use this word, or more to the point, does anybody know why I thought it existed when it doesn't??

:eek: You may have a case to sue your English teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Antilles wrote: »

hmmm... I've never thought of it as one word nor do I think too many people do.
    It'd be pretty difficult to find the word "speach" in a dictionary too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use aswell as well. Can't remember when I started, probably always has.
    Same as allright/alright instead of all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I too made this shocking discovery a few months ago.
    Who removed aswell from the dictionamery thing? feckers :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

'As well', 'all right' and 'a lot' often present this problem. 'Alright' is slowly beginning to be accepted as a viable word, although traditionalists remain dubious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

when did this happen, somebody shouldof told me...

'As well', 'all right' and 'a lot' often present this problem. 'Alright' is slowly beginning to be accepted as a viable word, although traditionalists remain dubious. :)

You can't compare "alright" with the other two.

"Alright" is an established word by itself and was entered into the OED over 100 years ago.

"Aswell" and "alot" are just wrong and hopefully will never be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What worries me is how far are we from having "done" and seen" accepted instead of "did" and "saw". One generation???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I couldn't believe that amn't wasn't a word. 'I'm good, amn't I?' Sounds less awkward than 'I'm good, aren't I?' But only when said aloud.

As an aside, I used to have a very old version of Word that highlighted 'internet' as a spelling mistake. :P

the dee wrote: »
    I couldn't believe that amn't wasn't a word. 'I'm good, amn't I?' Sounds less awkward than 'I'm good, aren't I?' But only when said aloud.

That's just plain dumb if you ask me.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

amn't is an Irish colloquialism, so it's perfectly fine when used in Ireland. I think some UK/US speakers would understand what it means, although I'm sure a lot of L2 English speakers have trouble with it when they first arrive in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What worries me is how far are we from having "done" and seen" accepted instead of "did" and "saw". One generation???

Plus this stuff, flut:

when did this happen, somebody shouldof told me...

People say "should've" and think it's written should of.

Someone should have told me.

Incidentally, when you say, "as well" in speech, it doesn't sound any different to aswell, when you think about it. It's fine to speak it; just realise how it's written.

Advertisement