Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TM Sig 552 Disassembly/Reassembly & Upgrade Guide

Options
  • 15-11-2007 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Was going to post this over on my site but my hosting provider seems to be acting up at the moment (shameless plug hidden there, i know :P)

anyway, recently had the opportunity to strip and upgrade a TM Sig 552 belonging to Ample Free...? so i decided to take some pictures while i was at it and post them here with his kind permission

firstly, to start off here is the Sig 552 itself with the top part of the foregrip removed, and also the battery tray has been removed:

CIMG3012.JPG

Remove the motor plate from the bottom of the grip by unscrewing the two screws either side, you can leave the allen key in the middle alone, this is the motor adjustment plate and unless your motor isn't meshing correctly with the bevel gear, doesnt need to be touched.
    CIMG3013.JPG

Once that's done, unhook the wires from the motor itself and remove the motor, watch out for the small metal disc on the bottom of the motor which will no doubt fall off and can sometimes stick to the side of the motor due to magnetism :)

next, have a look into the grip and you can see two screws which hold the grip onto the gearbox (brass here, but some aegs they are painted black and very hard to see)

CIMG3014.JPG

Note the two motor wires go through the same hole in the grip
    CIMG3015.JPG

Fold the stock and remove the screw at the top pictured here
    CIMG3016.JPG

Then remove the two screws on either side of the body just behind the selector switch
    CIMG3018.JPG

the entire stock can then be slid straight off
    CIMG3020.JPG

On the underside of the selector switches is a small allen head grub screw, unscrew these halfway (so you dont lose them) and remove the selectors
    CIMG3022.JPG

underneath the selector is another piece which attaches to the selector gear assembly on the gearbox, unscrew these and lift them off, note that the one on the left hand side has a small spring and plastic piece which click into place when you turn the selector, be careful not to lose these. Also the one on the right hand side has a longer screw
    CIMG3023.JPG

Now remove the screw inside the mag well
    CIMG3024.JPG

And the two screws on either side (at this point you should have removed the bottom half of the foregrip too)
    CIMG3026.JPG

Next remove the screw just forward of the mag well
    CIMG3027.JPG

at this point you should be able to lift the upper half of the body forward and up away from the bottom half, note that it will be necessary also to remove the cable ties holding the fuse holder in place
    CIMG3028.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

The gearbox can now be lifted out of the rest of the body
    CIMG3029.JPG

note the position of the gears outside the gearbox which are controlled by the selector switch

right side
    CIMG3031.JPG

and left side
    CIMG3032.JPG

The larger of the gears will simply lift straight out, the small one on either side requires a screw to be removed on the left side and then slides out

Once you remove the gears on both sides, the black plastic piece underneath needs to be remove on the right hand side, simply pull it slightly down towards the trigger and it will unclip, underneath this there is also a small metal piece which sits partially inside the gearbox to block the trigger, unfortunately i havent got a photo of it, but you'll know it when you see it
    CIMG3035.JPG

This is the positioning of the selector plate and other components, you dont need to remove anything here, this is just for reference
    CIMG3039.JPG

Inside the gearbox with all the original parts installed
    CIMG3040.JPG

Systema High Speed gears, 1 Joule spring and metal bushings installed, also gears were re-shimmed
    CIMG3043.JPG

Now just stick everything back together in reverse order ;)

The 9.6v custom battery being test fitted without the top half of the foregrip, note the position of the connector and the orientation of the battery with particular reference to the side which only has 2 cells
    CIMG3044.JPG
    CIMG3045.JPG

When the battery is correctly position as above, the only modification that needs to be made to the inside of the foregrip is to dremel away a little bit of the protruding area of one of the nuts/screws that hold the side rail on
    CIMG3047.JPG

and your done, this particular AEG now runs at a nice 19-20 rounds per second and has a nice crisp trigger response, havent had the opportunity to chrono it yet but with a systema 1J spring i would expect in the region of 300-300

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Absolutely fan-f*cking-tastic :eek:

I predict Interweb Fame for you and this page, never yet come across such a detailed/illustrated tutorial, only peeps moaning about what a b*tch the TM 552 is to disassemble.

Very, very, very many thanks, k

Yea, i did search online for a disassembly guide when I was doing it, but they weren't great, so I decided to take some pictures while I was doing it and make one myself :)

Dredging this old thread up, as I've just ordered all the relevant bits to upgrade mine, and I'm about to take the DYI plunge following your comprehensive take-down, with:

* Systema (1J) spring upgrade
    * Element 6.04 precision barrel
    * Element 7mm steel bushings
    * Systema steel shims

St Kdouglas of all things mechbox, pray for us :D

(KD, where was that 9,6V custom battery sourced from again?)

component-shop.co.uk they dont list it on their website, but if you email them they will make up the battery exactly how you want it. I just sent them a picture i grabbed off ebay last time, tell them shipping is to Ireland aswell and they will sort out the correct invoice for shipping etc...

• Advertisement

Ah, much obliged Sir! Thank you kindly :)

...and for my next trick, ladies and gents, the pint-sized AEG marvel that does it all: assault, sniping, support and CQB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mac_Kaliba

ambro25 wrote: »
    Absolutely fan-f*cking-tastic :eek:

I predict Interweb Fame for you and this page, never yet come across such a detailed/illustrated tutorial, only peeps moaning about what a b*tch the TM 552 is to disassemble.

Very, very, very many thanks, k

Indeed, I've joined this forum just to say the pictures have failed after stumbling upon this a month or so back on google.. The pictures were a very helpful reference but it appears the hosting site is down.
    I've PM'd kdouglas to let him know and to congratulate on such a well written and helpful guide, like I said... +1 internets to the good sir at the top!

Cheers,
    Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 josephhuynh

cannot see pictures bro. can you post it again please. thanks mate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭shytan

The thread is almost 4 years old check the dates before posting-Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement