Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You remember the days when .....

Options
  • 15-11-2007 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

you could open the front door and let your dog roam free !!!!!

Our ol' dog we could let him out 6 mornings a week ,.... see him for an hour at lunch and then he'd be back out for the afternoon till dinner time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Black Ball wrote: »

Our ol' dog we could let him out 6 mornings a week ,.... see him for an hour at lunch and then he'd be back out for the afternoon till dinner time.

No

I always preffered to look after my dog rather than let it roam the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Oh come on don't be so harsh, there was a time when i would open my front door and let my dog out on the street, all the kids loved him and played with him....Sultan, best dog in the world!

but that was like 12... oh god nope like 10 - 15 years ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I had 2 springers, and all we had to do was open the front door and they would go out and play for hours, even come up to meet me when I was on the way home from school. Great times. But that was back when you could leave the front door open to. Shame really but times have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Killme00 wrote: »
    No

I always preffered to look after my dog rather than let it roam the streets

Yet another example of someone posting something and getting a hard time ovfer it

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Yet another example of someone posting something and getting a hard time ovfer it

How is that? I am simply voicing my opinion. I dont believe that you should just open your front door and let you dogs roam unattended for hours. Responsible owners actually look after their dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

No I don't either we never let our dogs out even 30 years ago.

remember the days when your dog could wander freely to pooh in other peoples gardes.
    remeber the days when your dog could cause accidents by wandering.
    Remember the days when un0neutered dogs roamed the streets breeding and the bags of puppies were drowned or handed into the pound
    Ah they were the good old days

Oh no hang on - isn't this the case for a lot of people still in Ireland
    Prob why we destroy in excess of 15 to 20,000 healthy dogs a year

Then again I'm sure the OP is taking the P
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wow! whats going on here!!! If a poster came on and said "remember the days we could all leave our front doors open" would you be on saying "no I prefer to keep my house safely locked up"?? It was the done thing then, like kids going out to play in the morning and coming home late at night, it was the norm, I really dont see the need to be so rude to the OP, seriously, you seem ike you were just looking for an excuse to attack someone! Get off your high horses. The OP was not talking about now, and they made that pretty clear.

Wow! whats going on here!!! If a poster came on and said "remember the days we could all leave our front doors open" would you be on saying "no I prefer to keep my house safely locked up"?? It was the done thing then, like kids going out to play in the morning and coming home late at night, it was the norm, I really dont see the need to be so rude to the OP, seriously, you seem ike you were just looking for an excuse to attack someone! Get off your high horses. The OP was not talking about now, and they made that pretty clear.

I dont think anyone is being rude. I dont think it has ever been responsible to ever let you dog roam free, nowadays or fifty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    Then again I'm sure the OP is taking the P
    :confused:

Remember the days we didn't wear seatbelts in the back and stood between your mam and dad in the centre of the car? Of course, you didn't suzy.

Did you not play football on the street with scruffy jacker playing harder than any of the kids? Did you not have adventures with the "street dog" and get really dirty digging holes? Do you not remember Ma's shouting the kids names and the dogs name for dinner?

OP, sorry you got flamed, it happens here all the time.

There is a bull terrier (shock horror) on my old street, the kids adored her and she is one of the gang, really unusual and nice to see. (but illegal and terrible of course ;))

nowadays or fifty years ago.

Yeah, these filthy videos with children and dogs out on the street should be banned.

200px-Little-rascals-1994-dvd.jpg

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    Remember the days we didn't wear seatbelts in the back and stood between your mam and dad in the centre of the car? Of course, you didn't suzy.

Did you not play football on the street with scruffy jacker playing harder than any of the kids? Did you not have adventures with the "street dog" and get really dirty digging holes? Do you not remember Ma's shouting the kids names and the dogs name for dinner?

OP, sorry you got flamed, it happens here all the time.

There is a bull terrier (shock horror) on my old street, the kids adored her and she is one of the gang, really unusual and nice to see. (but illegal and terrible of course ;))

Surely you can see how irresponsible allowing your dog to roam the streets is? I do reemebr dogs on the streets when i was a kid, but i also remember how badly treated those dogs looked and were.

Yeah, these filthy videos with children and dogs out on the street should be banned.

200px-Little-rascals-1994-dvd.jpg

Thats not what i am saying. Im talking about being a responsible dog owner.

I have seen a quote around here somewhere "Never argue with an idiot because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". I think this needs to be applied in this case and other similar threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

About 30 years ago when my brother, sister and I were very young we had a dog that lived for 13 years. We took her for regular walks but never let her roam the streets. Our parents taught us to look after and be responsible for our pet from a very young age, and led by example. Maybe my parents were in the minority back then but we took this to be the norm.

So to the other person I say : It might have been the norm back then, but not for everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

QUOTE]
    No they had a motorbike and wedged me between them :D

Not quite sure what analogy you are drawing here - do you remember the good old days when everyone had 10 pints and drove home - people did it but doesn't mean it was right.

Surely you can see how irresponsible allowing your dog to roam the streets is?

People were different, attitudes were different, people weren't as anal, not as many people had irrational fears of dogs, there wasn't as much traffic, people drove slower, kids actually played with dogs and cots were lined with lead paint.

Some dogs weren't looked after properly, granted. The difference was you could see it then. Now they are not looked after properly behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On the other hand ...

...there are todays extremes where

-dogs get dragged along on leads, never allowed to ever even get a sniff (quite literally) of another dog
    - dogs are locked up in houses and/or back gardens all day long and their only contact with the outside world is the ever same, boring half hour "round"
    - dogs are kept as status symbols / child-ersatz / and are instrumentalised in competitions/ shows for the ego of their owner
    - dogs are so mollycoddled and protected until they lose all ability to intercat normally wiht other dogs or people

as always ....the thruth lies somewhere inbetween

We had dogs too (granted I'm talking 10-15 years ago here as I'm too young to remember much further back than that :D) but am from a country area. People let their dogs out, with the kids and they (we) were gone one end of the day to the other. Now my parents never did as we had too many dogs at any one time, but it was the norm for us to have the neighbours dogs out on the road. Rigsby, what did you think I meant when I said norm? There is no "norm for everyone" my understanding of "norm" is the majority of people, which means there must be a minority so of course its not "norm for everybody" as you pointed out. I am a pet owner, cats at the moment, but grew up with dogs, and am a responsible owner. I am not agreeing that dogs should have been let out, I am simply saying that it happened and that for someone to come on here and mention that to be rudely answered is totally un-necessary. Surely you agree?

Also, while on the topic, dogs back then were dogs. They were treated as dogs and I would imagine the majority were better adjusted because of it. Just waiting now for the barrage of "you think dogs were better adjusted when roaming the streets starving..............blah blah" so I'll head you off at the pass. That is not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that when dogs were out all day with "a pack" for want of a better description they knew their place in their pack, they were not confused and were allowed develop as dogs were supposed to. I have posted here before about out neighbour neglecting their dog out the back all day, I for one would prefer to see a happy adjusted dog hanging around out the front than the little wreck thats currently out the back.

Look at Lassie for gods sake! All the good she did! And the littlest hobo...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yeah and dog poo was white...

• Advertisement

People let their dogs out, with the kids and they (we) were gone one end of the day to the other.

Sounds about right! Fishing, fighting, cycling generally being kids. Nothing like a clever, well adjusted, outdoor experienced sheepdog to stop some weirdo approaching kids.

Yes lightening but Lassie was the exception.......... she was special :D seriously though, just had a thought. There is no denying (SP?) that dogs outside now are annoying but do you think it's because now when they get out they are not used to it and have no "street smarts" ?

Sounds about right! Fishing, fighting, cycling generally being kids. Nothing like a clever, well adjusted, outdoor experienced sheepdog to stop some weirdo approaching kids.

I'm a girl lightening!! no fighting and fishing for me!! we plaited the poor collies hair!and argued over who he loved more :rolleyes: (it was me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Remember the add on RTE AEONS ago with the dog being let out into the night where it joined up with all it's other doggie friends and went out chasing sheep?
    It was a cartoon type add.
    Yes it happened that dogs were out and roaming but I don't think it was right for lots of reasons.

Yes lightening but Lassie was the exception.......... she was special :D seriously though, just had a thought. There is no denying (SP?) that dogs outside now are annoying but do you think it's because now when they get out they are not used to it and have no "street smarts" ?

I know... good old Lassie! If you see dogs out now they are either escapees (dopes who will cause or get damaged) or always allowed out (wise dogs, learned the hard way about traffic, but probably have the best life, might end early)

People are just intolerant now. I was in a playground once in a park in Dublin, an overexcited young dog got off the lead and ran in to the playground to play with the kids.

With the reaction of some of the parents (not the kids) you would think a T-Rex had bounded in. One parent knocked three kids over and fell on another kid trying to catch the dog.

Rigsby, what did you think I meant when I said norm? There is no "norm for everyone" my understanding of "norm" is the majority of people, which means there must be a minority so of course its not "norm for everybody" as you pointed out. I am a pet owner, cats at the moment, but grew up with dogs, and am a responsible owner. I am not agreeing that dogs should have been let out, I am simply saying that it happened and that for someone to come on here and mention that to be rudely answered is totally un-necessary. Surely you agree?

Ok. Let me clarify my view. The question was asked "do you remember"... ect.

My answer: Yes I remember those days, but I dont agree it was right to let dogs roam the streets because I was taught otherwise from a young age. ;)

People are just intolerant now. I was in a playground once in a park in Dublin, an overexcited young dog got off the lead and ran in to the playground to play with the kids.

With the reaction of some of the parents (not the kids) you would think a T-Rex had bounded in. One parent knocked three kids over and fell on another kid trying to catch the dog.

And along comes a generation of people who "hate dogs" :confused: and never experience the type of friendship a dog gives, because of an over-reaction like that. It's stupid.
    I dont think they should be out but I do think that peopl have an obligation not only to feed/water/walk their dogs but to allow them to be dogs! A dog is a pack animal, they are happiest when with their pack. Are there any dog parks in Ireland, you know where dogs get to be let off and meet other dogs in a controlled environment? They have them in america, we need some here! (sorry for being OT)

Are there any dog parks in Ireland, you know where dogs get to be let off and meet other dogs in a controlled environment?

St. Annes Park, Raheny before 11 every morning. I had my fella out there with ten other dogs yesterday!

St. Annes Park, Raheny before 11 every morning. I had my fella out there with ten other dogs yesterday!

There are new signs up in some of the parks saying dogs are allowed off the lead for the first and last hour of opening times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Black Ball wrote: »

Yes I do, but I don't agree with it. It's irresponsible and dangerous to the dog and others around.

My brother would not have been attacked by two dobermans had they been correctly supervised or I would not have ploughed over a stunning looking dalmation last month in my car because it was not correctly supervised (luckily no damage to car).

Or my friends two dogs who had to be destroyed because they were worrying sheep, again because they were unsupervised.

It's not fair on the dog...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement