Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career Guidance/Counselling

• 15-11-2007 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Folks

I am currently an IT professional (11 years) considering a career change into a more person-oriented career.

At the moment I am looking at 'career guidance/counselling' as a possibility

I find the description of the "Postgraduate Diploma In Guidance And Counselling" described at http://www.corkigc.com/
    (Go to 'Memebership'->'How to become a guidance counsellor')
    quite exciting

Nearly all of my reading over the last few years have been psychology/self-help/personality/social science type stuff, e.g. Seligman's books

I did an 8-week night course in CBT which I found very interesting

I have also seen a hypnotherapist myself to address a few anxiety issues so I have experience on that side of the fence

I have a good friend who is currently studying psychotherapy and while it sounds interesting I'm not sure if I want to go all the way into dealing with 'heavy' issues on day-to-day basis

My question is whether any of you guys can shed any light on what the actual practicalities of this job are ? Do you know anyone in this field and if so what are their experiences ?

Also what are the employment prospects in schools/private career advisory services - is there a shortage or a glut of candidates ?

And finally what sort of money do these jobs pay (a very general question I know)

Any and all information welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Contemplating career switch? Read What Color is Your Parachutte first.

Advertisement