Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your build order?

Options
  • 15-11-2007 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Ok with the parts for my new build hopefully arriving before the weekend my first build is only around the corner now.

I've read the sticky but suppose im just looking for other peoples experiences here too.

Basically im looking for the best/quickest/easiest order of putting it all together!

Also with regards to TIM, every guide I have read suggests using this but is that only if you are using a non stock HSF? It has been in all the cases ive seen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes because if you're using a stock heatsink it will already have thermal paste applied to it, so you just have to clip it on/down.

Build order doesn't really matter, just put in the PSU and Mobo first and check that both are working before going further, adding/removing things after that is fairly painless once you know the main components are working OK. Also if you're using a cooler that's not standard 775 or whatever, it might have mounting brackets you'll need to fix before you put in the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've always fixed the heat sink to the cpu outside the case as well, unless you have a large case then space to do this shouldn't be a problem. Only thing im always a little cautious about it when moving the mobo into the case to be carefull not to bang it around and i always try and support it as well (specially heavy heat sinks).

Usually PSU 1st, might not go in after the mobo because of a heatsink sitting in the way?

GL with the build

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yep, I normally fit the PSU to the case first, then I mount the processor, heatsink & RAM to the Mobo outside the case. As suggested above, It's easier on the knuckles if the case is tight.

After that it's Lego time really :)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Thanks for the replies guys, luckily for me the PSU is already installed in the case I will be getting so that will take some pain out of it.

Will more than likely fit what I can to the mobo outside the case aswell - processor, ram etc as apparently there is not a whole lot of excess room in it using an ATX board.

My only worry is not damaging the processor when putting it in.. and trying to connect up all the PSU wires to where they should be, hopefully the manuals will help. Last (first) time I tried chaning a motherboard a few years ago was without any manuals or instructions and ended up destroying a processor not to mention leaving a dozen power leads dangling in the case. Needless to say it didnt boot for a while after that.

Hoping my parts come today but not holding my breath. They were sent from dabs on Tuesday evening (from the UK) got a tracking number but its not showing anything at all yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

What i normally tend to do as well with a new build is sort out my cables.

With the mobo and psu in what i normally do is:
    figure out which cables i will be needing and if 1 cable can be used for several devices that need power. I like to keep things nice and clean inside, also allows better airflow.
    And i hide away all the cables i wont be using.
    Try hide cables as well before putting in optical/floppy/hard drives or anything else that your going to have in the case.

• Advertisement

Ordered 10 days ago from dabs, my parts arrived today so will be getting stuck into that over the next two evenings whenever I get some free time :(

Case: Antec Sonata III w/ 500W PSU
    Mobo: Gigabyte S775 (P31-DS3L)
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500
    GFX: Sapphire Tech X1950pro 512mb
    RAM: Corsair 2gb 6400
    HDD: Western Digital 250gb HD
    DVD: LiteOn DVD rewriter

At the moment i'm going to be using an old 15" monitor but that will be replaced in the next few weeks all going according to plan.

Question.. with only 2gb of ram and a 250gb HD (for now) will I be better off sticking with XP over Vista?

No doubt i'll be back on here when I run into problems :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Stick with XP :D.

You don't have a DX10 gfx card.

Plus XP is still faster in games over vista at the moment.

Still if you want to give vista a go, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep. No point in you going to vista as you dont have a dx10 card too. Also i find vista needs a minimum of 4gb ram.

And that means Vist 64 then... think I will stick to XP for now, can always upgrade at a later date when I have everything else in place.

Next hurdle is finding a decent monitor for ~€200!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

One of the most beneficial things to do if your are new to building or you are going to be using a Mobo you've never used before, is this.

While waiting for the parts to arrive, download the PDF manual for the Mobo from the manufactures Website. Download the one for the case too!

1. Study them.

2. Identify all the components.

3. Familiarise yourself with the components.

4. Familiarise yourself with where they are positioned on the board\Case.

5. Look for things like, which headers are for USB, CPU Fan, System Fan(s), Power Supply connectors, PCI Express additional power if applicable. Take note of which connectors are for SATA, IDE & the Floppy Disk Drive (FDD) & whereabouts they are on the board. This will also help you to plan your cable routing.

6. Study your RAM slots, their colours, their numbers, is their a particular sequence to how the memory is installed & in which slots?

Study the pin-outs for the headers, especially for the Power Button, the Reset Button. Identify the colours of the wires & where they go, & most importantly the order in which they should be fitted (Polarity). (Make little notes or sketches if it helps & keep them handy)

7. Identify little things like "How to clear\reset the CMOS, Does the board have a little push button to clear it (Normally situated near the button battery, if it exists) or does it have a jumper on the board for this purpose which needs to be removed & replaced after 5\10 minutes to accomplish this task.

8. While your at it, grab the manual for your Power Supply too. Study the different connectors & what they are for. See if some of the accessories could be used to power many components. (Makes for a tidier case & better airflow)

All the above will prove to be time well spent.
    You will be a lot less intimidated by the board when you actually come face to face with it.

It will make the build smoother, greatly reduce the chances of problems/errors/beeps at startup. Overall it will make the build more enjoyable too.

If you are unfortunate enough to encounter a problem (And it happens to the best of us) it will leave you better poised to troubleshoot the issue.

At the end of the day, taking the time out to do the bit of research is worth its weight in gold. ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement