Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosemary Salt

• 15-11-2007 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

If any of boardsies have been lucky enough to try real gourmet burger in Dun Laoghaire you’ll have probably sampled the rosemary salt they put on their chips. It’s yummy! Does anyone (whether you’ve tried the deliciousness or not!) know where I could buy such a thing? Or can you make it with rock salt and rosemary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have tried it and it is delicious.

I suppose that you could make it in the same fashion as vanilla sugar.

Get a jar and place salt in it along with rosemary leaves. Stir or shake occasionally. Let us know if you do it and how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dudara wrote: »
    I have tried it and it is delicious.

I suppose that you could make it in the same fashion as vanilla sugar.

Get a jar and place salt in it along with rosemary leaves. Stir or shake occasionally. Let us know if you do it and how you get on

Great idea.

I saw Ben o Donoghue make a celery salt on the telly ages ago. It went something like this. Pick some green leaves out of a celery bunch. Pound in a pestle & mortar with some rock salt or sea salt. Once mixed, place on a grease-proof paper and dry in the oven on low heat. About 140c. He put the bright green pieces into a salt grinder and used on scallops. Looked brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

After a search, I found this recipe online. Going to give it a go this weekend, methinks. It seems the person you wrote this recipe was giving them as Chrismtas presents. That could be interesting if you bought nice fancy jars, as I'm poor this year!

Rosemary Salt
    (makes about 4 cups)

3 cups sea salt crystals
    1 1/2 cups dried rosemary (cracked rosemary is best)

(If you don't have cracked rosemary, measure rosemary and put into food processor with steel blade attached. Process about 2 minutes, until rosemary is broken into small bits.)

Combine salt and rosemary in food processor and process with steel blade less than one minute, until salt and rosemary are well combined. Don't process too long. You want this to still have a slightly chunky texture.

Suggested uses: Use sparingly, as you would regular salt. Sprinkle on fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, or avocado. An excellent seasoning for eggs, potatoes, butternut squash, or chicken. Delicious on any type of roasted or grilled vegetables.

Advertisement