Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wont start

Options
  • 15-11-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I dont know if I'm on the right forum but was hoping to get a bit of help. I have a 1.3, 1995, jap import starlet. I haven't taken in out in about 2 weeks. I tried to start it yesterday and it wouldn't start. It didn't sound like a battery problem but we tried to jump start it with the cables form my b/f's jeep and also by pushing. No joy. The brake is very very stiff (was never like that before) and when we were pushing it (when I say we, I mean he :o ) and i took my foot off the clutch while trying to start it it stopped as if i had braked. The fuel is almost empty, although the light isn't on yet so it's not that bad. Anyway, I'm home alone tonight and need my car!! Anybody have any ideas what it might be, or will I need to bring it to a garage (which i really cant afford at the moment)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When you turn the key is there any start-up noise coming from the engine? When you turn the key are there any warning lights on the instrument cluster?
    I suspect a duff battery but would need more info.
    As for the jump start from the jeep, did you/he do it right? http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, I know nothing about cars so I'll try explain as well as I can and give you all a good laugh :D all the dash lights come on when you half turn the key, as they always did. When you fully turn the key it nearly starts, it's not the noise I got the last time I left the lights on and drained the battery. :o The car had just been NCT'd when i bought it 3 months ago and the battery had been changed just before the NCT. He definately jumped it right as he had to do it loads of time for my old car. I was wondering (a very silly girly question) if maybe, if the petrol or the tank was not "clean" could dirt have settled around the bottom (or where ever the petrol comes out) and clogged it? I'm giving all women a bad name here!! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Im A Hotmail

The brake feels like that because it's been used while the engine isn't started, that's normal. The breaking feeling you feel when you let off the clutch in the push start is also normal, the car is in gear.

If the engine is turning when you're turning the key (Ie, sounds like its trying to start over and over) it's not a battery problem.

Sounds like there's no fuel going to the engine but that could be a number of things. Take it to a garage.

Ohhhh Nooooooo that means I wont have a car this evening! Ah well, thanks for your help. ;)

What area are you in?
    Can you get a 5L petrol container* and bring some fuel to the car - possibly not the issue but its a start (your fuel pump may be dead).

* it must be a proper petrol container

• Advertisement

I'm in Kilcullen, there's a garage up the road but I can never tell if it's just a petrol station or not. I'll try getting some fuel (in a proper container :) ) and see if it makes a difference. Fecking car is a pain! Anyone wanna buy it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Helena...
    Not what you want to hear... Join the AA.
    Its a few quid and you can avoid problems like this.. If you or your man are not mechanically minded this kind of thing is a pain..
    I'm and engineer and my wife it quite technically savey but I insist she has AA cover for peace of mind in the event she gets stuck..
    Cheers
    bam

HAHA believe it or not I was on the website only 2 days ago. My credit card bill just came in and i thought to myself, I'll pay off my min payment and when that goes through I'll join the AA. It should go through today or tomorrow. How's that for timing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Check your insurance policy, most insurance companies include breakdown coverage as part of your motor policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

i had this problem a few days ago, it would turn over but wouldnt fire up, the engine was flooded, has to take out the spark plugs and gave them a clean and left them out for about an hour to let the petrol evaporate from the cylinders. put the plugs back in and it fired up first try, get your boyfriend to take out the sparkplugs and see if there is petrol on them. might be that.

• Advertisement

monster1 wrote: »
    ...get your boyfriend to take out the sparkplugs ...
    Sexist! :D

whoops, sorry didnt mean to be sexist! :)

I'll take out the sparkplugs and send the little man inside to cook the dinner :D we're a very PC household :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

not sure if a 95 starlet has an immobiliser but if so that could be your problem

there is a simple way to test your battery and that is if you know anyone one with an electrical meter like an electrician or handy man your battery voltage should be just around 12.7 volts dc if its down close to 12 or lower it is not charged or knackerd

not sure if that will help but maybe good luck with your car

check if there is any spark as well from the leads if ya can, could be dodgy leads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Since its a JDM Starlet its unlikely it has an immobiliser.

plus it wouldnt turn over if it was the immobiliser would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

If the battery was low but not totally emptied the starter would still turn the engine over slowly but after 3 or 4 attempts it should be drained totally and thus all you'd hear would be a little click from the starter.

It sounds to me like the fuel pump isn't bringing the petrol to the engine or simply not enough fuel.

Advertisement