Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm singin in a box,singinin a card-board-box! Help!

Options
  • 15-11-2007 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all...

Just wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers for improving the vocals in me tunes(other than singing lessons!!)

I'm using a superlux mic (fairly budgety type condenser) with an SE reflexion filter recorded onto a BR1180 standalone recorder(with inbuilt mic preamps)- Aside from the limiting factor of my voice itself, I sound like i'm singing in a box :mad:

Was thinking about splashing out on an akg c414 mic if it'd bring an improvement??

Do I just need more Duvets???:confused:

Any pointers or critique welcome and appreciated!!!

www.myspace.com/sunshear1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If the sound is boxy, then it's definitely a reflections problem. Another mic won't help. I had heard good things about the reflection filter, but it's a small piece of kit for a big job.

I would say ensure that the filter is installed and positioned as per manufacturer's instructions. If the room has curtains - close them. Stay near the middle of the room and experiment with a heavy tog duvet hung behind you. If you have 2 duvets you could try putting them in a wedge configuration. Try singing in a diffrent room. The more that is in the room, in terms of furniture and soft furnishings, the deader the room will become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭harmacist

Thanks squibs... The reflexion filter is only a recent addition and it definitely improved matters considerably. The room I'm in is so small though that the even in the centre i'm not far from a wall! I'll have a try with the duvets( I'd tried a sheet!?!) 1st and see if it sorts things out any...

Cheers la!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Without being smart, are you addressing the correct side of the mic?

The problem with using duvets is that they only really attenuate higher frequencies, lower frequencies aren't affected by curtains, duvets, carpet on the wall etc. So you are taking the highs out of the room and nothing is happening to the lows. This could be a reason for the 'boxy' sound you are experiencing.

Actually, the centre of the room is probably not a good idea, the longer reflection paths from the wall will add to the room sound you are experiencing. Try back to the wall facing out into the room, this way the reflections should be on the off-axis side of the microphone.

Have a read of Minimizing Resonant Room Modes here

Try a different place in the room for tracking vocals, I'd also suggest trying an SM-57 or an SM-7 even better, it may have a narrower pickup than the condenser you are currently using. You need to get as little of the room as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭harmacist

Cheers,
    Some good pointers in the wikepedia article. I'll have a look into the shure as well...

Advertisement