Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Repairs in Limerick

Options
  • 15-11-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a laptop that's picked up some spyware recently, anyone know of somewhere in Limerick where I could get it sorted?

I'm staying away from MCS, I havn't seen too many complimentary posts about them.

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanking you
    Mac

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Should be reasonably easy to do it yourself actually, as long as you have internet access.

Download and install avg from www.free.grisoft.com, as well as the avg anti spyware program.

Turn off system restore and do a full scan. Run msconfig to disable any unwanted startup items. Should take you maybe twenty minutes.

If you need any help with parts of this give me a shout, or try the computer health section, which I just found.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Thanks Mark,

I've ran Spybot Search and Destroy and I think its this zlob virus. Spybot didn't remove it so I'll give that link a shot later, the laptop is out in my car.

Thanks again,
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I have found with spybot, that sometimes a restart of the machine is required to nuke nasties that might be on your machine.

you could also go to http://housecall.antivirus.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your running Windows XP or Vista you should be able to run a system restore back to a point before the spyware was installed.

Might be worth posting in the Computer forum too. If you do need a techie to look at it then have a look at the classified adverts in the likes of the Limerick Post.

Be warned though most places will charge you a fortune to just look at the issue irrespective of how fast it takes to fix it.

If you do get stuck I'm actually in Limerick. I don't do this full time (though I use to do it as an aside!). I'm the guy that gets given the wonky computer by friends for looking at. :D

If you've access to broadband I could even do it online using something like logmein.

It's just a few minutes of installing, then hours of scanning / restarting etc.

• Advertisement

First of all, Fair play to ye all, Thanks for all the replies. I should have said I'm running Vista as well..

Secondly, We seem to be back in business, I was watching the posts on my work PC all day with the intent of trying some of the ideas this evening. My Laptop downloaded some updates from Microsoft and after I started it up, it said that the updates were installed. Just looking at the updates, there were a few about Spyware..

For the last week, every time I went online, I was getting a warning that said my computer was infected by spyware and to download software. This was coming from the computer itself rather than a website and it would go away if I clicked the cancel button. Also anytime I did a search on Google or Yahoo, I'd be told that the search results were being changed because of spyware on my system. Some websites wouldn't let me in, a message would come up saying "Sorry your computer is infected"

This isn't happening any more and neither is that annoying message reminding me. I'm just wondering have these updates from Microsoft had anything to do with it. Seems to be back to her old self.

I'll still download the AVG software, it comes highly recommended.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanking you,
    Mac

Quite often those messages that claim your computer is infected are actually an infection themselves. If you run msconfig (google it) and disable everything bar avg then that should stop any crap that's already loaded on your pc from starting.

Go through those steps I listed above and you'll be back to normal in no time..

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, i downloaded the AVG Spyware software last night and ran it, I'll be using the laptop later and i'll let you know how it goes. Seemed fine last night.

Thanks again,

Mac

Advertisement