Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vs2008

Options
  • 15-11-2007 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has download this. Did you find a big improvement to 2005 or is it very quirky ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I like it, the multi targetting for the different frameworks is dead handy as is LINQ, the ADO.NET entity toolkit and the better designer interace for web apps. Overall an improvement on 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Writing a lot of mobile applications these days and installing VS08 alongside VS05 caused me serious headaches. Either one or the other I'm afraid...

I am writing apps for compact framework (windows mobile 5). If you're device is windows mobile 6, VS08 is the way forward, otherwise stick to VS05.

VS08 in vista supports some new cryptography classes (elliptic curve etc.) which are nice.

I'm holding back on VS08 for a while yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I left my work pc downloading this today.

One answer I cant find anywhere is will it install on xp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

I left my work pc downloading this today.

One answer I cant find anywhere is will it install on xp?

Will indeed. Only problem is some of the new classes require Vista .dlls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just waiting for my boss to give me the ISO... MOSS & WWF integration is supposed to be very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Cantab. wrote: »
    Will indeed. Only problem is some of the new classes require Vista .dlls

Cheers man.

Im guessing the vista .dll issue will affect win coding only and not web

Does anyone know is the framework targeting good enough to remove vis studio 2005 and run 2008 instead cos my hard disk is getting way too full here...

EDIT:
    Installed it and liking it so far. The web designer is from expression designer and its a huge improvement over the old ie6 based renderer.
    Interface is really similar to 2005 which is no bad thing really.

Targeting is good. Ive opened some 2005 (web) projects with no problems. It asks you do you want to convert to 3.5 or leave as 2.0 and thats it.

My machine was always fairly chuggy to run 2005, but I think 2008 is running much better. It opens projects much quickly, generally seems to be running better and when you shut it down it seems to return the memory used straight away.

Advertisement