Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.3 on log book

Options
  • 15-11-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

You see people selling their Glanza turbos (Example) stating that the logbook has the car down as a 1.3 standard. Do you show the insurance company your logbook if you're in an accident? I mean, will it not be obvious to them that your car is a turbo if you're in a crash thus making your policy void?

There's a guy over on adverts selling his, there's turbo guages inside the car and it has TURBO written on the engine block cover, am i supposed to believe your out clause is "When i bought the car, i just looked at the logbook, i didn't know it was a turbo?"

I'm not having a go at anyone here, i just want hear the benefits (if any) of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stephenpl

I have a Glanza Turbo myself, which is a 1.3 on the log book. But I insured it as a turbo, no point paying a couple of g's for a piece of paper for your windscreen!!

I think the main reason they are 1.3 on the log book is that VRT is half the price, compared to if you VRT it as a Glanza V. And then there is the odd nob that advertise them as "1.3 on log book" so they can get some muppet to buy the car that will drive it like a crazed person and more than likely right it off.

I have a few mates who work for insurance company's and they do not take kindly to this sort of thing, they will cancel your policy with no hesitation and will not pay for any claims. Playing dumb doesn't work!

So there is no real "benefit" except you might save a few quid, providing you don't crash or get asked to produce your insurance by a garda that knows his cars (there is a few out there, trust me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

stephenpl wrote: »
    I have a Glanza Turbo myself, which is a 1.3 on the log book. But I insured it as a turbo, no point paying a couple of g's for a piece of paper for your windscreen!!

I think the main reason they are 1.3 on the log book is that VRT is half the price, compared to if you VRT it as a Glanza V. And then there is the odd nob that advertise them as "1.3 on log book" so they can get some muppet to buy the car that will drive it like a crazed person and more than likely right it off.

I have a few mates who work for insurance company's and they do not take kindly to this sort of thing, they will cancel your policy with no hesitation and will not pay for any claims. Playing dumb doesn't work!

So there is no real "benefit" except you might save a few quid, providing you don't crash or get asked to produce your insurance by a garda that knows his cars (there is a few out there, trust me).

As stephenpl has already said, it's not a good idea not to insure it properly. Simply put, if ye can't afford the insurance don't get the car. Don't get me wrong it is definitely tempting to insure a car improperly, cos if ye dont crash you might save a good bit. But on the off chance that you do crash, the risk just isn't worth it.

The price of VRT is tha main reason people put them as 1.3 on the log book, but even that's not possible anymore as when you bring it to a VRO they inspect the car first to ensure you're doing it properly.

I got a glanza turbo there about a month ago and the insurance was only €90 extra tpft than a non-turbo. Piece of mind is defo worth €90 if ye ask me;)

Oh and good luck with the car if ye decide to go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

mate of mine crashed his 8500 grand worth of a glanza turbo, insurance null and void because he had it down as non-turbo. Dont know what it read on the log book but all i know is he is 8500 down!

mate of mine crashed his 8500 grand worth of a glanza turbo, insurance null and void because he had it down as non-turbo. Dont know what it read on the log book but all i know is he is 8500 down!

it's not a nice situation to be in i can imagine, but at the end of the day it would have been up to him to tell the truth. insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out, because at the end of the day they are still just a business out to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no sympathy for him because it totally irresponsible to drive without the proper insurance and alot of glanza owners are doing this, i see it on almost half of adverts for them advertised as 1.3 on logbook, it annoys me because if your not responible enough to know you should insure it properly then your not responsible enough to drive the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stephenpl

p-nut wrote: »
    if ye can't afford the insurance don't get the car.

As easy as that! :)

btw i am not sympathising with my mate, it was a stupid decision and his fault ! also, my other mate tried to claim insurance when he crashed but got no payout because he wasnt wearing a seatbelt!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

also, my other mate tried to claim insurance when he crashed but got no payout because he wasnt wearing a seatbelt!

hhhmmm thats the insurance company wriggling out of payment in my opinion, how did they know he wasn't wearing a seatbelt?

draffodx wrote: »
    hhhmmm thats the insurance company wriggling out of payment in my opinion, how did they know he wasn't wearing a seatbelt?

like i sed before, insurance companies are just another business out to make money, they will look for any reason not to pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

draffodx wrote: »

maybe it was a personal injury claim due to non wearing of seatbelt?

• Advertisement

more simple than that, he was flung from the car, over 15m away from the vehicle crash site. He hit a muddy patch on a back road and went over a ditch, literally two mins from his house, his girlfriend was in the front also with no seatbelt

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The logbook doesnt usualy say turbo does it? It just shows the CC of the car. Myself and the brother had/have 1.8T A3's and there's no mention of turbo. These are irish cars aswel..

Seperate wrote: »
    The logbook doesnt usualy say turbo does it? It just shows the CC of the car. Myself and the brother had/have 1.8T A3's and there's no mention of turbo. These are irish cars aswel..

exactly, it's only so ppl can make more money on importing cars due to the vrt usually being cheaper on non-turbos. for example, i vrt'd my glanza as a turbo last month which was about €600, but to vrt it as a non-turbo was near €450. It says nothing about being turbo or not on the log book, so it's up to the owner to tell the insurance the truth. whether they want to be covered or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Log book won't say turbo, no more then it will say 16v, injection, recaro seats!? It will mention model, so it will say Subaru Impreza Sti or WRX. You can register it as a simple 2.0 litre but then your insurance cert is not worth the paper its printed on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 keefalmighty

more simple than that, he was flung from the car, over 15m away from the vehicle crash site. He hit a muddy patch on a back road and went over a ditch, literally two mins from his house, his girlfriend was in the front also with no seatbelt

If they're both thick enough to be driving without their belts and then making a claim I have zero sympathy for them. Its not that hard to put one on.

If they're both thick enough to be driving without their belts and then making a claim I have zero sympathy for them. Its not that hard to put one on.

Ask either of them whether it was stupid not to wear a seat belt and they would definately agree with you. He woke up to his girlfriend screaming trapped under a the debris, and now is the most careful driver ive ever seen ! It was a short trip on they're local roads, she didnt wear one because she was wrapped in a blanket ! Dont see how calling someone thick makes any helpful contribution to the thread though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 will_c

slight thread hijack, with these lads who have say turbo engines in cars registered/taxed/insured as nonturbos, whats the story when they go for NCT, if they do at all?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It doesn't have to say Turbo on the log book!! As far as I know they won't even put Type-R on a log book. Its what you have it down as on your insurance that matters!!

Advertisement