Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs / Kids - who first?!

Options
  • 15-11-2007 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Although I'm still a few years away from either getting a dog or having kids, (better chance of dog before kids though!) I'd be interested in thoughts on the above?

One person I talked to recently said def have baby first, so that when you get dog he'll always know the baby was there 1st. If you get dog first, then have baby, he said the dog would get jealous of the baby....

Any thoughts / experience on this?

Thanks,

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think it depends on the dog... and I dont think it would be a good idea to have a pup while having a baby in the house, dogs are very curious when it comes to kids(and take up as much of your time as a child)... I would consider getting a dog first, getting it out of the puppy stage(1yr old-still a pup but wont be as 'energetic') make sure it is familiar with kids (park, friends etc) and then pop a baby out! But again, it depends on the dog, some dogs are very territorial and like having their owners as company and will react if there is a new family member introduced... I don’t like to single dogs out because every dog is different but the majority of westies(and many other toy dogs) would be like this. I have also heard of Lab's not appreciating the lack of attention. More docile dogs would be your best bet.. Working dogs like; Greyhound, Basset, bearded collie etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

jameshayes wrote: »
    I have also heard of Lab's not appreciating the lack of attention.

My parents had two labs before I came along, and we never had any problems. In fact they loved me because I used to throw my food down onto the floor for them from my highchair :p

It really does depend on the dog though. These labs were about three or four years old at the time, and were also bred from excellent stock by careful breeders and had lovely temperaments. Unfortunately due to the lab's popularity, they've become overbred and I've heard stories about a lot of them being very neurotic. In general, the advice is to have the child first and then the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I know a lab who is kept with 2 shih-tsus, he snarls and growls at the shih tsus if you pet them instead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

thanks for the replies.
    As i said, all a long way off, but was just curious of people's experience.

tks,

Simon

Advertisement