Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Scotsland Do It ?

• 15-11-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Alot of people are give Scotsland no chance against Italy .
    Yes they are playing a TOP TOP TEAM.
    They are at home, its a one off game , winner takes all , a cup match.
    So can anyone see them pull it off .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The Italians will do what the Italians do best. Frustrate the Scots and head back to Italy with a draw leaving the Scots telling stories of woe and bad luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I think they will and I hope its a great game, Scotland just seem to play with more passion than the Italians and will be more up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They have to. With England about to bomb out the Scots won't have their usual quota of teams to support (ie anyone playing England).

At least it gives us English the chance to support "Anyone but Scotland":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I fancy them. I think it'll be similar to recent Celtic games vs Milan. Italy don't have Kaka though. They hate playing against Kenny Miller types and he loves playing against them. Another player who wouldn't fancy playing against Scotland is Pirlo. He needs space to play and the Scottish midfield will target him. That's probably why Pirlo was on the bench in the home tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Scotland can most certainly win this game. If it was in Italy i'd give them little chance, but at home yes. If they play with all the passion and intensity that they can, with the crowd behind them they could well do it. I'd fancy a draw if i was a betting man, but if the Italians get a bit complacent, they'll be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Nah...im not holding out too much hope to be honest.
    This is Italy were talking about, and given Scotlands record in terms of Glorous failure...i predict a 1-1 draw with france beating Ukraine 1-0 with a last minute henry goal.....

Never mind Fred..maybe seeing as both team wont qualify the english fa will look north of the border...realise their arrogance at not inviting us down for the wembley opening and we can come down and take our frustrations out on you ;)
    that new wembley pitch would look good on the walls of thousands of scots fans :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd actually put money on Scotland to win. About 50c, but money is money.

In all seriousness, I hope they do win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proberly a 1-1 draw but they can do it if they just play to win, rather than try to avoid conceeding for 89 mins then nick one.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

High nigh brine ciii. Curse they can do it.
    Go highlanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Scotland have clarity in this fixture they need to win. This is a huge bonus for them in my opinion. McLeishs team talk will be the easiest he has ever had to give. They are at home. It's all set-up for them.

Italy know a draw will do, but this presents its own problems, especially away from home. We've seen how many times we've been kicked in the balls when playing for a draw in an away fixture!

Will Italy play for a draw? I think they will and be happy enough to nick a winning goal. I expect them to choke in the cauldron of Hampden Pk, much like Holland in Lansdowne many moons ago now:(...and Scotland to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Eirebear wrote: »
    Never mind Fred..maybe seeing as both team wont qualify the english fa will look north of the border...realise their arrogance at not inviting us down for the wembley opening and we can come down and take our frustrations out on you ;)
    that new wembley pitch would look good on the walls of thousands of scots fans :)

No way, we're not having you lot break our nice new goal posts again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im not overly optimisitc that they can do it, but I would love to see it pulled off. tbh seeing as we are only playing for pride im more concerned about the Scots match than ours.

Come on the Scots!!! :)

No way, we're not having you lot break our nice new goal posts again:D

Ach dont worry about that mate...well set our sights bigger this time!
    Nelsons Column anyone? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Nunu wrote: »
    Scotland have clarity in this fixture they need to win. This is a huge bonus for them in my opinion. McLeishs team talk will be the easiest he has ever had to give. They are at home. It's all set-up for them.

Italy know a draw will do, but this presents its own problems, especially away from home. We've seen how many times we've been kicked in the balls when playing for a draw in an away fixture!

Will Italy play for a draw? I think they will and be happy enough to nick a winning goal. I expect them to choke in the cauldron of Hampden Pk, much like Holland in Lansdowne many moons ago now:(...and Scotland to qualify.

Do you smoke a lot of narcotics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Im hoping against hope that they do it.
    although as Pighead said - its gonna be a draw :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i hope they do it...theyv played unreal in the toughest group of them all.
    it would be very dissapointing for them not too make it.
    if they do think of the competition.....no england no italy
    2/3 top leagues not represented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

prendy wrote: »
    2/3 top leagues not represented!
    Shocking to think that, and the English league had two chances to be represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would like them to but honestly cant see italy not getting a draw.

kdjac

I just realised that if Scotland draw they can still go through if Ukraine do them a huge favour and beat France in Kiev on Wednesday...
    and also if Italy lose they can still progress, but again need Ukraine to do them a favour.

It would be like when Ireland qualified for Euro 88...so who's going to be the Ukrainian Gary Mackay this time around?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I think Scotland bottled it against Georgia after achieving some amazing results and the Italians will probably nick the result they need though it would be nice if the Scots qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I know italy only need a draw but i can see them coming out all guns blazing so they dont actually need to rely on their last game whoever its against.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I know italy only need a draw but i can see them coming out all guns blazing so they dont actually need to rely on their last game whoever its against.

...but you see that's the thing, it's home against Andorra(guaranteed win) and that's why I think they'll play for a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

d22ontour wrote: »
    I think Scotland bottled it against Georgia after achieving some amazing results and the Italians will probably nick the result they need though it would be nice if the Scots qualified.
    A win in Georgia would have only meant they could qualify with a draw against Italy. As someone else said it's probably better that they have to win. If it's 0-0 for the last 20 minutes it'll be Scotland putting all the pressure on rather than the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

d22ontour wrote: »

As said before, the reffing in that match was appalling, no wonder they lost their nerve. Gettin excited about this match, really really want the Scots to pull it off, a jammy McFadden long strike in the 91st for a 1-0, come on son :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Nunu wrote: »
    ...but you see that's the thing, it's home against Andorra(guaranteed win) and that's why I think they'll play for a draw.

Italy's last game is home to Faroe Islands, which is only marginally more difficult. Still pretty much a guaranteed win though.

I think Scotland need to keep it tight, not conceding should be their top priority. Keep it scoreless 'til half time and hope to nick a goal somewhere along the way. If it's 0-0 with 20 mins left it will be there for the taking, and I think most Scots fans would take that now if it was offered to them.

I'd agree that it's better in some ways that Scotland need to win the game, that makes the situation much clearer. Trouble is the Italians are masters at getting a result in games like this, however if Scotland can keep it tight they may only need to nick one goal. A fluke, a deflection, a dodgy penalty, anything will do! Hampden will be an absolute cauldron but you'd fancy Italy to handle that as well as any team would.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Italy's last game is home to Faroe Islands, which is only marginally more difficult. Still pretty much a guaranteed win though.

That's who I meant, always mixing them up:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Everybody here is getting really excited about this game. Got to the stage that I have now re-subscibed to Sky Sports to watch the games tomorrow :eek:

Everybody here is getting really excited about this game. Got to the stage that I have now re-subscibed to Sky Sports to watch the games tomorrow :eek:

Do they think its a win game or ****ting themselves?

I recall the dread/giddy excitedness of when we had Holland to to play at home, 4 months of giddyness and sheer terror before the game.

Hope they get the same end result, all fans deserve the terror/giddy and then sheer ****ing joy!

kdjac

I think a combination of both. A lot of the shops and in the centre of Glasgow were full of Saltires in the window. Reminded me of how Dublin looked during the 1990 World Cup (even though Scotland have yet to qualify!)

My 2 sons were told earlier in the week that they could wear something blue ( :eek: ) today instead of their school uniforms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Scotland can do it.

But Italy are the World Champions.

Italy will do enough.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Scotland can do it.

Tbh imagine having that feeling about your national side.

The Holland game was last time i reckoned we could "do it"

This game isnt about good or bad managers or good or bad players its about playing for your country and putting in 100% effort for the the country and knowing the country is 100% behind you, team talk is irrelevant here. Mine would be "go beat the world champions, your scottish its a piece of pish".

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest if the Italians play as good as they can, Scotland don't stand a whelks chance in a super nova.

id give them a few lagers before hand and let em have it :p

cant wait for the game tbh, only match i care about on the weekend
    well, watching russia beat Israel would be brilliant too!

Seaneh wrote: »
    To be honest if the Italians play as good as they can, Scotland don't stand a whelks chance in a super nova.

too sciencey mate!

Seaneh wrote: »

Same could be said of Holland, irc they had 4 strikers on the pitch vs ten men.

believe :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

I think a combination of both. A lot of the shops and in the centre of Glasgow were full of Saltires in the window. Reminded me of how Dublin looked during the 1990 World Cup (even though Scotland have yet to qualify!)

My 2 sons were told earlier in the week that they could wear something blue ( :eek: ) today instead of their school uniforms.

You been in the City Centre tonight mate? frickin mental so it is....i just hope were not in for a big fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

G'wan the Scotch! :D
    realise their arrogance at not inviting us down for the wembley opening

Have to disagree. Englands last game in the old Wemberley was against Ze Germans, so it was only fitting to play them first in the new ground.

Plus the two countries have a bit of history in that ground. Apparently England won a Rous Cup or something against Deutchland back in '56 I think? :confused:

Eirebear wrote: »
    You been in the City Centre tonight mate? frickin mental so it is....i just hope were not in for a big fall.

I got home about 9pm. The place is buzzin. I think the Italian team are staying near Central Station. They are not going to have a quiet night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I hope Scotland turn the Italians over.
    Italy arent half as good as they think they are .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I hope Scotland turn the Italians over.

Yeah they are only world champions and have a squad full of world class players from 1 to 23... How dare they consider themselves a good team!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What does that make every other national team that finished behind them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Scotland will do it, Glasgow just got the 2014 Commonwealth games due to me being in the country to support them, just as I was in Greece when they won the Euro, and the Eurovision..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Gordon wrote: »
    Scotland will do it, Glasgow just got the 2014 Commonwealth games due to me being in the country to support them, just as I was in Greece when they won the Euro, and the Eurovision..

And you're en-route to Wales just as we speak... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Its fairytale stuff to come out of that group but i really think they can do it!

McFadden is the lone striker. So 5 across the middle, not very adventurous.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    McFadden is the lone striker. So 5 across the middle, not very adventurous.

Mike.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yro3_france-ecosse-01-mc-fadden_sport

kdjac

Nice goal the sort a striker hits once a season.

I must not giggle at dailymotion name.

Mike.

Nice goal the sort a striker hits once a season.

I must not giggle at dailymotion name.

Mike.

lol

you really want them to lose :D

kdjac

Nope I want them to get through as it'll piss off 60 million Italians and then I can watch the Caladonian hordes get thier hopes up before seeing them smashed to bits next summer! ;)

Mike.

Nope I want them to get through as it'll piss off 60 million Italians and then I can watch the Caladonian hordes get thier hopes up before seeing them smashed to bits next summer! ;)

Mike.

lol

Watch in a 3rd person sense as in not being there to see it ;):D

/ehh like us :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement