Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge

• 15-11-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any good porridge recipies? I eat the stuff every morning for breakfast.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I try eat it as much as I can. Like to add either nutmeg or cinamon.

Sometimes will add some dried fruits such as mango, papaya, coconut.

My grandfather has been eating porridge everyday of his life, and he is still going strong into his 90s!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always soak it overnight with some chopped dried fruit (I like apricots).
    Cooks in a flash in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I make porridge with rice milk most days,it's a bit thinner than ordinary milk but I just prefer the taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oat pancakes. Stick the oats, egg, water/milk all in a blender and liquidse well. Then fry on a nonstick pan. No need for oil at all if the nonstick is good. No need for sugar, but can be added, I put maple syrup on afterwards. Proportions dont matter, make as thick as you want. Leaving overnight will allow the oats to absorb the water/milk more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It depends on how 'healthy' you want it to be :)

Try adding a spoonful of honey and mixing it in if you want a sweet taste. Honey is better for you than sugar but only just!

You could also try adding seedless raisins but again, this is merely 'healthy' sugar...it's still sugar ;)

I also add mixed seeds, or sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts, it gives it a really crunchy taste :) These are full of really healthy fats and help stave off fat cravings until about lunchtime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It depends on how 'healthy' you want it to be :)

Try adding a spoonful of honey and mixing it in if you want a sweet taste. Honey is better for you than sugar but only just!

You could also try adding seedless raisins but again, this is merely 'healthy' sugar...it's still sugar ;)

I also add mixed seeds, or sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts, it gives it a really crunchy taste :) These are full of really healthy fats and help stave off fat cravings until about lunchtime :)

Fiddlesticks! Honey is great for you, in moderation.

Also, what do you mean by "raisins are a healthy sugar"?

Fiddlesticks! Honey is great for you, in moderation.
    Honey producer then are you? ;)
    Don't answer that, it's a flippant and throwaway remark designed to provoke an inflamed and indignant response...i.e. trolling :)

Yes honey is great for you in moderation (why I suggested it in the first place) and may have many health benefits...but the key word there is moderation.

I once recommended honey to a friend of mine as an alternative to sugar in cooking and porridge. She was going through a jar a week! :( That's not good for you in anyone's book! Honey contains many natural sugars but again they are sugars nonetheless. See below. :)
    Also, what do you mean by "raisins are a healthy sugar"?
    See this
    There is 98g of sugar in a 165g serving of seedless raisins, that's 59.4% sugar. These are natural sugars and not refined but they are still undeniably sugars...putting the word 'natural' in front of something does NOT mean it has no bad effects in the body.

Old codger Ian Paisley has a spoonful of the stuff in his porridge every morning, so I believe! He's 104 and still working. Can't be that bad for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

A few spoonfuls of frozen raspberries mixed into porridge is unbelievably nice.. you can get them in most supermarkets.

Also, M&S do a summer fruit compote, which is very yummy with porridge too. The raspberries are obviously the healthier option, but really good!

Bananna and ground cinnemon is good too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Honey is sweeter than sugar (sucrose) per gram carb in it. So to get the same level of sweetness you need less, so less calories, and more taste. It is also packed with nutirents, while sugar is bleached of all nutirents and is simply a chemical compound of pure carbodhydrate.

Also try maple syrup.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Honey is sweeter than sugar (sucrose) per gram carb in it. So to get the same level of sweetness you need less, so less calories, and more taste. It is also packed with nutirents, while sugar is bleached of all nutirents and is simply a chemical compound of pure carbodhydrate.

Also try maple syrup.

That's the point I was trying to make, you did it far more succinctly, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Try dried figs with honey on your porridge. Nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

around 12 or 14 raisins. nyom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Old codger Ian Paisley has a spoonful of the stuff in his porridge every morning, so I believe! He's 104 and still working. Can't be that bad for you.

He's 81!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

A weetabix mixed into porridge with a bitta milk, along with raisins and sunflowers seeds, nyom nyom.

A weetabix mixed into porridge with a bitta milk, along with raisins and sunflowers seeds, nyom nyom.

You wouldn't catch The Chessplayer putting a mashed-up weetabix in his porridge. Not a chance of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I'm very boring, and usually just have plain porridge with just a tiny hint of sugar. However, after reading this thread, I feel tempted to try honey and weetabix. And maybe a sprinkling of cornflakes too.

You wouldn't catch The Chessplayer putting a mashed-up weetabix in his porridge. Not a chance of it!
    you're missing out man :D

Occasionally I may throw in some Cheerios/Cornflakes/All-Bran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

A blob of whatever jam you fancy mixed through is a nice addition aswell :)

Also, they say if you get the porrage oats and put them in a blender first....they will cook quicker (like the microwave quick oats)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Boil up pinhead oatmeal in salted water, stirring with spurtle till the porage achieves the desired consistency. Serve with cold milk. Pinhead oatmeal yields the best texture but takes longer to cook, so it's best to soak overnight (oatmeal to water ratio 1:4).

I have heard that some people make a big pot at the start of the week and keep it in a kitchen drawer lined with parchment, cooking up as much as they require each day, though I am yet to try this. And I guess the fridge would be a good alternative to the drawer these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Cook porridge in the microwave with water and when it's ready, add some soya milk and a chopped banana and give it another two minutes in the microwave. I eat it every day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The missus soaks it overnight in apple juice then serves it cold with some chopped strawberries and yoghurt, sprinkle some chopped hazelnuts over the top too. It really is savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

rubadub wrote: »
    Oat pancakes. Stick the oats, egg, water/milk all in a blender and liquidse well. Then fry on a nonstick pan. No need for oil at all if the nonstick is good. No need for sugar, but can be added, I put maple syrup on afterwards. Proportions dont matter, make as thick as you want. Leaving overnight will allow the oats to absorb the water/milk more.

How do you go about doing that? Like whats the proportions of oats/milk/eggs you put in and can you just buy oats in any supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi

This may sound awful but you gotta believe me its amazing...

Once I made porridge and as usual I was disorganised so didn't have a bowl to serve in to hand...
    Reached out and grabbed a nearby bowl..sat down to eat...discovered a bowl of porridge with an unmistakeable garlic edge to it....ploughed my way through it becoming more delighted with every mouthful...It was bloody gorgeous...

What I had done was grabbed the bowl I had prepared garlic butter in the night before..there was some left stuck to the sides and it mixed in with the porridge..

Absolutely delicious!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

This sounds odd but it's actually really nice:
    Soak oats in water overnight
    Heat them the next morning
    Place in a bowl with a handfull of raisins, sultanas, etc.
    And then sprinkle with Special K bliss (the one with the red berries and vanilla bits)
    Add a splash of milk (about as much as you'd put in a cup of tea)
    Absolultely lovely!

mikep wrote: »
    Hi

This may sound awful but you gotta believe me its amazing...

Once I made porridge and as usual I was disorganised so didn't have a bowl to serve in to hand...
    Reached out and grabbed a nearby bowl..sat down to eat...discovered a bowl of porridge with an unmistakeable garlic edge to it....ploughed my way through it becoming more delighted with every mouthful...It was bloody gorgeous...

What I had done was grabbed the bowl I had prepared garlic butter in the night before..there was some left stuck to the sides and it mixed in with the porridge..

Absolutely delicious!!!

Rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mikep

Rotten.

Don't knock it 'till you tried it!

mikep wrote: »
    Don't knock it 'till you tried it!
    No thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I mix brown sugar (the soft kind) straight into the pot and add a dollop of jam. Then again, not averse to the sugar :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Yes, more please!
    I'd like to be able to stand porridge, but I can't - I need something to intice me into eating it again.

Advertisement