Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man Flu

• 15-11-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

My bf is sick at the moment with the nasty bug that's going around. I had it about two weeks ago. I felt like crap for about a week, took one day off work and then was fine. He is the compelte opposite. He's already had two days off work and is planning on leaving soon today, and taking tomorrow off. He says "he's dying". I dn't want to start a gender war here (BGRH boys, I'm looking at you). So, women of LACP... why do men always handle sickness so badly? Are you're bfs as bad or should I be worried about mine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

My boyfriend's just as bad. He laughs at me when I give the tiniest signs of pain (even though when I get sick I get REALLY sick) but when he's got the tiniest sniffle/headache he expects to be waited on hand and foot, and if I so much as say 'come on, it's not that bad' he gives me a wounded look and sulks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I know that look. Big puppy dog eyes. It was that look that had me up fetching water/lemsip at all hours this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I will honestly hold my hand up here and admit that i am very guilty of this I think its the fact that "mammy" looks after us when were sick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

No your not alone there ladies, remember i was in the chemist and i was asking about flu remedy and the chemist asked if i was ill and i said no my boyfriend... and she just kinda grimaced and said.... oh man flu nasty!

i lol'ed hard!

• Advertisement

Yeah really you'd swear they were the only one's to get ill ever
    when having the flu they turn into the biggest whingers alive.
    Man flu is the male equivelent of the flu and male PMS

Big babies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ladies, its all in the training.

My (kinda) bf was just the same many years ago. And I, like Watna, would soothe his fevered brow and commiserate (sp) about his current ebola/meningitis/sniffle. As the years passed, and I had a couple of operations, a baby, proper flippin flu, I realised that he in fact was a complete wuss.

So now, said (kinda) bf has been trained not to moan. Its pointless. He will get a look of utter contempt if he so much as uses those eyes.

I used this technique for about 5 years, and now he's cured.

If he happens to be genuinely ill, I might turn on the old Florence Nightingale, and ask him such questions as "I've to go and buy wine, d'ya want anything from the shop?" or "its ok tonight, you don't need to get coal, you can turn the central heating on, just this once mind". And he looks at me like I'm the kindest, sweetist woman on earth.

Training, girls, training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

men in general must function at a higher level than any of teh wimmins. because of this what is a relatively minor illness for a lesser animal or woman has a much more drastic impact on our daily functioning. perhaps someday when the women catch up with us on the evolutionary chain they may understand our plight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Honestly - women moan and grump for a week every month, spend 9 months expecting to be treated like a delicate flower while unleashing hormone-fuelled hysteria in every direction when they're preggers (often a few times in their life), get doors held open for them, drinks bought for them and capes laid over puddles so they don't spoil their new shoes (which cost me twice as much as she spent on my birthday pressie)... and you're complaining that men want a little bit of TLC the odd time they're sick?

Man, I'd hate women if it wasn't for the tits and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

watna wrote: »
    My bf is sick at the moment with the nasty bug that's going around. I had it about two weeks ago. I felt like crap for about a week, took one day off work and then was fine. He is the compelte opposite. He's already had two days off work and is planning on leaving soon today, and taking tomorrow off. He says "he's dying". I dn't want to start a gender war here (BGRH boys, I'm looking at you). So, women of LACP... why do men always handle sickness so badly? Are you're bfs as bad or should I be worried about mine!

You are talking nonsense, tbh.

At least 1/3 of women I know/have ever talked too are hypochondriacs, never stop bleating on, thinking they have every illness under the sun.

Also, colds/headcolds/the flu affects men worse, something to do having larger glands, or brains, that was probably it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Man-Flu is much worse then you women think. It really is. Ive had it for over a month now. And all herself did was laugh :(

What an uncaring g/f you must have if all she did was laugh.

jules80 wrote: »
    What an uncaring g/f you must have if all she did was laugh.

Tell me about it.

Here, you sound hot. What you upto tonight ?

Washing my hair..... topic please!!!

Grand so, more wow for me ;)

Have any of you heard the,

"no its not flu.. its pneumonia"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Jules80 wrote: »
    Have any of you heard the,

"no its not flu.. its pneumonia"

yes. they subsequently nearly died in hospital.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

a major loss to the economy are man hours where the person is off sick due to the flu but in reality he only has a head cold. if you had the flu you'd bloody well know about it love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

watna wrote: »
    Because we are smart enough to realise 2 days in bed > 1 day in bed.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Tree wrote: »
    a major loss to the economy are man hours where the person is off sick due to the flu but in reality he only has a head cold. if you had the flu you'd bloody well know about it love

doubt it, most guys I know take 2 or 3 days off a year sick, if that. most women seem to take at least a couple of weeks. I know I get to the doctor maybe once or twice a year, the ex used to be there every second week. Now I know there are reasons for this of course but I'd certainly doubt that men miss work more than women...

• Advertisement

It's not about who takes more time off, it's about when men have the smallest sniffle they turn into unable snivelling messes who can't even get up to get a glass of water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i'd never heard of this man-flu business until the other week, i had a bit of a cold and a really bad cough, and i was sick of everyone moaning to high heavens (cos everyone else had it the week before) so i thought i'd keep my mouth shut... then, i started to get the muscle pains and shivery/sweaty flu business. so i said "i think im starting to get the flu", and every woman in earshot POUNCED!
    "you men think the tiniest cold is death!"
    "jesus, can no man handle a bit of a cold without making it out to be the worst thing ever!"
    "men are the devil!" etc

i didnt even do anything really!

i know it sounds like ive made sweeping generalisations about women and their opinions of men, but thats basically what they said!

POOR ME!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jules80 wrote: »
    It's not about who takes more time off, it's about when men have the smallest sniffle they turn into unable snivelling messes who can't even get up to get a glass of water!
    Yes, but which is worse, wanting to be waited on hand and foot when you have the sniffles, or actually being silly enough to wait on someone with the sniffles?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

well it is a proven fact that many ppl believe a cold == the flu. first thing our medical micro lecturer told us two years ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Lothaar wrote: »
    Man, I'd hate women if it wasn't for the tits and stuff.

Or Man, I'd love tits and stuff if it wasn't for the women. :D

OP, how about this:

Men are lazy, pleasure seeking slackers, so when they realise that they are sick, even with a mild cold/flu, it's happy days: ring the boss, on with the slippers, have a few lemsips and watch cartoons all day while chillin on the couch/in bed. Miraculously recover by friday night drinks.

Women have a chip on their shoulder and/or don't appreciate the finer things in life so they act like they're forcing themselves into work like a brave wounded soilder valiantly resuming their post and yap on about how sick they are but how they must work. Then they take the weekend off, partly because they are afraid of what people might think of them, but mostly because they don't appreciate the other finer things in life (like drinking).

If you want to look at it from a neutral point of view, men love taking time off work and moaning (over nothing), women love tourturing themselves and pretending they are better than men (even if only in a minor way). Minor sicknesses give both an ideal opportunity to do what they really like doing.

Each to their own, I say.

Men are lazy, pleasure seeking slackers, so when they realise that they are sick, even with a mild cold/flu, it's happy days: ring the boss, on with the slippers, have a few lemsips and watch cartoons all day while chillin on the couch/in bed. Miraculously recover by friday night drinks.

If you want to look at it from a neutral point of view, men love taking time off work and moaning (over nothing)

It's so refreshing seeing a man being honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

When I get sick I dont complain ... when I get a smack of a car I get up and head into work ... waiting 2 days to go to the hospital. Same thing last time I got hit by a car, got up went home .... 3 days later into the hospital.

I have had pluracey (spelling?) & pneumonia ..... wasn't that bad. Jules80 actually found me that night collapsed in a field ... she left me there and went home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You are talking nonsense, tbh.

At least 1/3 of women I know/have ever talked too are hypochondriacs, never stop bleating on, thinking they have every illness under the sun.
    This was the first thing that came to mind when reading this thread.
    Blowfish wrote: »
    Because we are smart enough to realise 2 days in bed > 1 day in bed.
    This was the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I knicked it from bgrh...

Oh, I see it's already in this thread. Ah well, can't hurt to have it again :)

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    When I get sick I dont complain ... when I get a smack of a car I get up and head into work ... waiting 2 days to go to the hospital. Same thing last time I got hit by a car, got up went home .... 3 days later into the hospital.

I have had pleurisy (spelling?) & pneumonia ..... wasn't that bad. Jules80 actually found me that night collapsed in a field ... she left me there and went home.

Firstly i didn't know it was you, all i saw was someone lying under a street lamp on the top field and i was like 14 or something stupid like that. What about the time you ran our older sister over on a sledge... now drop it or i'll tell mum!

Advertisement