Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts

Options
  • 15-11-2007 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's another thread on this, but there is confusion on it, so here's the official LEGAL way to use roundabouts. Unfortuantely, rules change according to each roundabout, so i'll keep it as simple as possible.

IMPORTANT: Indicate!
    If you want to go left, indicate left coming up to the roundabout.
    If you want to go right, indicate right coming up to the roundabout.
    If you want to straight, stay in the left lane* and indicate left as you approach your exit. (*see number 3 below)

1: Roundabout with single lane on and single lane off

General rule of law - Indicate
    If you're going left, indicate left.
    If you're goung right, indicate right.
    If you're going straight ahead, indicate left as you approach your exit.

2: Roundabout with 2 lanes on and single lane off

General rule of law - Think of it as a clock.
    You are approaching the roundabout at 6 o'clock.
    If you wish to turn off before or including 12 o'clock - left lane.
    If you wish to turn off after 12 o'clock - right lane.

3: Roundabout with 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off

General rule of law - Obey the road markings
    Again, think of it as a clock.
    If you wish to turn off before 12 o'clock - left lane.

If you are going straight (12 o'clock), with 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off, the right lane may only be used to enter and exit the roundabout if:

1. The left lane is dedicated for turning left only.

2. The left lane is blocked.

3. The left lane is closed.

4. When directed to do so by a Garda.

4: Roundabout with multiple lanes on and off

Here's where it gets confusing.
    Pay attention to the road markings/road signs
    Take your time, if you're not sure of a roundabout, drive slowly and carefully. Usually on these big roundabouts, there are planty of signs indicating which lane you want to be in to go to where. Also, the road markings will show you when to change lanes (if so be needed).

Important

If you're on a roundabout with multiple lanes, and you're in the left lane either going left or straight ahead, follow the roundabout around, ie: swring wide around the roundabout, don't cut across it. You will see many people going straight at a roundabout and driving straight through it, rather than following the natural curve of the roundabout. See page 107/8 of the new RSA Rults of the Road book for a diagram.

Panic Stations
    If you're coming up to a roundabout, and you genuinely haven't a clue about it (Red Cow Roundabout/Dunkettle Interchange), stay in the right lane, and go around the roundabout. By doing this (more than once if necessary), you can judge where you need to go and what lane to be in. You cannot get in trouble for driving around roundabouts (unless acting the maggot).

Granted, you will have people who havn't a clue how to use roundabouts, but think they do, and even though it won't be much of a consolation, but if you are doing it right, then they will be in the wrong, and they will be liable should an accident occur.
    Remember, if someone hits you from behind - they are at fault, no questions asked.
    If they hit you from the side - 90% of the time they are at fault.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
    I would ask everyone to not post a reply saying "No, thats not the way to do it". If you think it's done another way, please ask, and if it turns out it is, rthen i will change the post, rather than people reading it for the first time having to trawl through the posts to work out the answer.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I know there's another thread on this, but there is confusion on it, so here's the official LEGAL way to use roundabouts. Unfortuantely, rules change according to each roundabout, so i'll keep it as simple as possible.

IMPORTANT: Indicate!
    If you want to go left, indicate left coming up to the roundabout.
    If you want to go right, indicate right coming up to the roundabout.
    If you want to straight, stay in the left lane* and indicate left as you approach your exit. (*see number 3 below)

1: Roundabout with single lane on and sngle lane off

General rule of law - Indicate
    If you're going left, indicate left.
    If you're goung right, indicate right.
    If you're going straight ahead, indicate left as you approach your exit.

2: Roundabout with 2 lanes on and single lane off

General rule of law - Think of it as a clock.
    If you wish to turn off before or including 12 o'clock - left lane.

3: Roundabout with 2 lanes on and 2 anes off

If you are going straight (12 o'clock), with 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off, you can use both the left and right lanes, but indicate left as you approach your exit.

4: Roundabout with multiple lanes on and off

Here's where it gets confusing.
    Pay attention to the road markings/road signs
    Take your time, if you're not sure of a roundabout, drive slowly and carefully. Usually on these big roundabouts, there are planty of signs indicating which lane you want to be in to go to where. Also, the road markings will show you when to change lanes (if so be needed).

Important

If you're on a roundabout with multiple lanes, and you're in the left lane either going left or straight ahead, follow the roundabout around, ie: swring wide around the roundabout, don't cut across it. You will see many people going straight at a roundabout and driving straight through it, rather than following the natural curve of the roundabout. See page 107/8 of the new RSA Rults of the Road book for a diagram.

Panic Stations
    If you're coming up to a roundabout, and you genuinely haven't a clue about it (Red Cow Roundabout/Dunkettle Interchange), stay in the right lane, and go around the roundabout. By doing this (more than once if necessary), you can judge where you need to go and what lane to be in. You cannot get in trouble for driving around roundabouts (unless acting the maggot).

Granted, you will have people who havn't a clue how to use roundabouts, but think they do, and even though it won't be much of a consolation, but if you are doing it right, then they will be in the wrong, and they will be liable should an accident occur.
    Remember, if someone hits you from behind - they are at fault, no questions asked.
    If they hit you from the side - 90% of the time they are at fault.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
    I would ask everyone to not post a reply saying "No, thats not the way to do it". If you think it's done another way, please ask, and if it turns out it is, rthen i will change the post, rather than people reading it for the first time having to trawl through the posts to work out the answer.

Thank you.

Hey very usefull, but what about walkinstown? No road markings (indicating the turn off) and five exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you are going straight (12 o'clock), with 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off, you can use both the left and right lanes, but indicate left as you approach your exit.
    The current edition of the Rules of the Road would contradict that!

(page 109)

The right lane may only be used (when going straight/2nd exit) to enter and exit the roundabout if:

but if you are doing it right, then they will be in the wrong, and they will be liable should an accident occur.
    If they hit you from the side - 90% of the time they are at fault
    That's very poor advice to be giving in a dedicated Learning to Drive Forum. Every motorist has a duty of care while on the road and must act responsibly. Just because someone is 'in the wrong' that doesn't give anyone a right to proceed as normal.It's a bit pointless being right and ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

This is not true. Alot of people drive like this, but its not correct. Previous poster is right. Its the most annoying thing on the roads when it happens. There's even a diagram in the ROTR to explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

What about signalling on Mini Roundabouts? I've recently changed driving instructors, and I got two different instructions on this, the first saying I should treat a mini roundabout the same a full roundabout when it comes to indication, with my new instructor saying I should only signal if I'm going to make a turn - which is what most people do on those anyway from what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry people, been stucj to Assassins Creed all weekend!

Givyjoe - Depending on the exits, you're coming on at 6 on the clock, if the turn you want is after 12 then use the right hand lane. Otherwise, use the left.

Wishbone, with regards to the roundabout, so it does! My bad, and i looked at that and all, and for some reason i still put it in, apologies (can you remove it? I can't edit anymore!). And to your second point, yes, everyone has a duty of care, and it may not be the best advice to give, but if people possibly have that in their mind then they might be a bit more confident with regards to roundybouts, cuz it definately helped me when learning to drive to know that i was doing it right even if the other person is giving out stink to me!

SeanW - Go with what your first instructor says, it's a miniroundabout, the hint is in the name. The second instructor shouldn't be teaching if thats what he thinks. You still signal, otherwise, how are people to know where you're going? So, indicate, cuz at the end of the day, it's not going to do any harm indicating. :D

• Advertisement

Sorry people, been stucj to Assassins Creed all weekend!

Givyjoe - Depending on the exits, you're coming on at 6 on the clock, if the turn you want is after 12 then use the right hand lane. Otherwise, use the left.

:D

Thanks for the info. I think im doing it right, but just wanted to be sure, thing is though. there are 3 lanes approaching the walkinstown roundabout, at lest there is on most of the entrance/exits, and 3 lanes on the roundabout itself?! Anyone care to clarify!! Please!

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I think im doing it right, but just wanted to be sure, thing is though. there are 3 lanes approaching the walkinstown roundabout, at lest there is on most of the entrance/exits, and 3 lanes on the roundabout itself?! Anyone care to clarify!! Please!

Oh the genius that is the people that make these roundabouts!!! Some of these places should have intersections!

3 lanes, left for going left and straight (probably), the middle one for going straight and the right lane for going past 12 o'clock. There's 3 lanes on the roundabout so that people going past 12 can enter in the right lane, moe into the middle lane coming near their turn off, and into the left lane coming up to their turn off... Kinda confusing, i know!

Here, I made an attempt at trying diagrams (which i can only put in zip for some reason)... Hopefully it's fairly understandable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 karry1412

Thanks for the info! I'm doing my driving test in a few weeks so I'm grateful for any help I can get! :D

Did you read the hole post? Couple of "modifications" were made... Just a hint for the test, be prepared for no conversation! I found that the hardest, just sitting there in traffic saying nothing!

Wishbone, with regards to the roundabout, so it does! My bad, and i looked at that and all, and for some reason i still put it in, apologies (can you remove it? I can't edit anymore!).
    Done!

• Advertisement

It's purty!

Thanks for the info, but im not much of a diagram reader, plus the walkinstown one has another exit on it, not to worry, got a lesson on thursday do il clear it up then.

I tried! Ah well, best of luck when you've the test anyhoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    This is not true. Alot of people drive like this, but its not correct. Previous poster is right. Its the most annoying thing on the roads when it happens. There's even a diagram in the ROTR to explain this.

Hmm looks like they changed this in the latest version of the ROTR.
    It used to be extremely annoying/dangerous when people went straight on in the inside lane on single exit roundabouts, I never had a problem with it happening on 2 lane exits (unless the muppet changes lane as he exits..argh!)

there are 3 lanes approaching the walkinstown roundabout, at lest there is on most of the entrance/exits, and 3 lanes on the roundabout itself?! Anyone care to clarify!! Please!
    Thanks for the info, but im not much of a diagram reader, plus the walkinstown one has another exit on it, not to worry, got a lesson on thursday do il clear it up then.

Here's a picture of the 6 exit Walkinstown Roundabout for anyone who is not familiar with it.

WalkinstownRoundabout.jpg

Here's a picture of the 6 exit Walkinstown Roundabout for anyone who is not familiar with it.

WalkinstownRoundabout.jpg

They should rename that to a rediculabout!

They should rename that to a rediculabout!
    What about the "magic roundabout" in Swindon? :eek: :D

SwindonRoundabout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

:eek: WTF :confused:

SeanW wrote: »
    :eek: WTF :confused:
    The Magic Roundabout ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 6True9

I don't get why people cannot understand roundabouts...

"think of it as a clock" <--- BS. It's the number of exits between you and your intended exit that counts. Not the bloody time...

The rules of the road state that the left hand lane may be used for exiting on the first and second exit only. Period.

Right hand lane for every other exit, including if the second exit has a right hand lane. You cannot enter the roundabout in the right hand lane and exit on the second exit in the left hand lane... you must exit on the right.

People piss me off in Galway coming off of Bohermore in the left lane heading out the Tuam road (which is the third exit). And on the Headford road at Menlo Park Hotel in the left hand lane going out to Bothar Na dTreabh... (which is also third exit... and also in the 3 o'clock position according to the clock description)

Too many idiots on the roads anyways

• Advertisement

6True9 wrote: »

"think of it as a clock" <--- BS. It's the number of exits between you and your intended exit that counts. Not the bloody time...

The rules of the road state that the left hand lane may be used for exiting on the first and second exit only. Period.

Right hand lane for every other exit, including if the second exit has a right hand lane. You cannot enter the roundabout in the right hand lane and exit on the second exit in the left hand lane... you must exit on the right.

People piss me off in Galway coming off of Bohermore in the left lane heading out the Tuam road (which is the third exit). And on the Headford road at Menlo Park Hotel in the left hand lane going out to Bothar Na dTreabh... (which is also third exit... and also in the 3 o'clock position according to the clock description)

Too many idiots on the roads anyways

Where does it say for the first 2 exits? Seriously, i've the book here beside me, and the left hand lane is for "turning left " and "going straight". It says nothing about using the left lane for the first 2 exits. Look at the book again. Going left and straight on is the left hand lane, taking any "later exits" is the right hand lane, thus making the clock analagy a correct one.

http://www.irishmotoring.ie/cms/publish/car/rulesoftheroad/1.php

You seem to have a bit of that trouble yourself!
    6True9 wrote:
    You cannot enter the roundabout in the right hand lane and exit on the second exit in the left hand lane... you must exit on the right.
    If you are going straight/12 o'clock/second exit with 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off, the right lane may only be used to enter and exit the roundabout if:

You seem to have a bit of that trouble yourself!

If you are going straight/12 o'clock/second exit with 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off, the right lane may only be used to enter and exit the roundabout if:

So does that mean that you must use the left lane for the first two exits? i.e. Going left and going straight....? And the right lane for every other exit... Wow... I was so far off the mark by stating exactly that...

Ah, you were wrong, according to your initial statement you are saying that all roundabouts have only 1 turn before straight ahead. There are some roundabouts which have 3 exits before straight ahead, so, if there is 3 exits, then straight ahead, should i use the right lane to take the third exit even if it is before straight ahead? According to you, yes. You were wrong.

Ah, you were wrong, according to your initial statement you are saying that all roundabouts have only 1 turn before straight ahead. There are some roundabouts which have 3 exits before straight ahead, so, if there is 3 exits, then straight ahead, should i use the right lane to take the third exit even if it is before straight ahead? According to you, yes. You were wrong.

Pretty sure any roundabouts with 3 exits before the straight ahead would be lane marked due to their size.. in which case follow the markings... i'm talking about smaller regular roundabouts

Pretty sure any roundabouts with 3 exits before the straight ahead would be lane marked due to their size.. in which case follow the markings... i'm talking about smaller regular roundabouts

The problem with lane marked roundabouts is that there is no easy way to mark them.
    Most of the time they just put 3 concentric circles (for 3 lanes) around the roundabout but then you get eejits who stay in the inside lane the whole way around and then try to cross 2 lanes to exit...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Woooohoooo My pet hate!!!

In the older rules of the road, To take either one of the FIRST TWO exits (nothing to do with going straight ahead/12oclock or anything) you enter on the left lane, indicator on if you are taking the first exit, indicate after passing the first exit if you are taking the second exit. ALL other exits mean you take the inside lane, indicating right.

Classic example in on the Tipp road out of Limerick, roundabout with the 3rd exit going straight on, most people take the left lane, which to my mind is wrong, and blow you out of it if you take the inside lane.

Heres the thing tho, the new shiny rules of the road don't say anything about this and couldn't be any more vague if you tried. But as far as I'm aware the law hasn't changed. But this is a good topic as an insurance company could leave you well high if you are technically in the wrong.

I'll scan in the pertinent pages from the old book when i get a chance.

Regarding the marking of lanes, marking them on the road at/near the roundabout is nothing but a cheap joke. Overhead signs should be used.

phew...that was good.

Xennon wrote: »
    Woooohoooo My pet hate!!!

In the older rules of the road, To take either one of the FIRST TWO exits (nothing to do with going straight ahead/12oclock or anything) you enter on the left lane, indicator on if you are taking the first exit, indicate after passing the first exit if you are taking the second exit. ALL other exits mean you take the inside lane, indicating right.

Classic example in on the Tipp road out of Limerick, roundabout with the 3rd exit going straight on, most people take the left lane, which to my mind is wrong, and blow you out of it if you take the inside lane.

Heres the thing tho, the new shiny rules of the road don't say anything about this and couldn't be any more vague if you tried. But as far as I'm aware the law hasn't changed. But this is a good topic as an insurance company could leave you well high if you are technically in the wrong.

I'll scan in the pertinent pages from the old book when i get a chance.

Regarding the marking of lanes, marking them on the road at/near the roundabout is nothing but a cheap joke. Overhead signs should be used.

phew...that was good.
    Ditto.

My understanding is/was the same as yours. The only way I can make sense of the larger roundabouts is that as you pass an exit you move left until you essentially fall off the roundabout at the correct lane. If everyone is in the correct lane then you cant cut anyone off as anyone to your left will be taking an earlier exit.

however stick some nice traffic lights on the roundabout and all bets are off as it becomes impossible to change lanes.

Nice.

6true9, xennon used the tipp road roundabout as en example of a regular sized roundabout with 2 exits before the straight ahead, and there's no road markings, so it would mean your theory is wrong.

Xennon, the new rules of the road state that if you're going straight (which in the tipp road roundabout is the 3rd exit) you stay in the left lane, so those people are quite right in blowing you out of it.

• Advertisement

6true9, xennon used the tipp road roundabout as en example of a regular sized roundabout with 2 exits before the straight ahead, and there's no road markings, so it would mean your theory is wrong.

Xennon, the new rules of the road state that if you're going straight (which in the tipp road roundabout is the 3rd exit) you stay in the left lane, so those people are quite right in blowing you out of it.

Im going to go out on a limb and make the assumption that
    "Unless road signs or road markings indicate otherwise, follow the steps below, when taking the first exit, going straight ahead or taking later exits off a roundabout."
    is in regard to 2nd exit
    i.e first, second or later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement