Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, i can see where it says that, so i've just sent them an e-mail to see what their view is on it... Stupid rules of the road...

Also, it says taing a left turn, which would be any turn before straight ahead, meaning that if there are two exits before straight ahead they would both follow the rules of a left turn... No?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Right, i can see where it says that, so i've just sent them an e-mail to see what their view is on it... Stupid rules of the road...

Also, it says taing a left turn, which would be any turn before straight ahead, meaning that if there are two exits before straight ahead they would both follow the rules of a left turn... No?

yeah, "straight ahead" and "left" are crazy "definitions" for a rule book.
    That goodness the book isnt even lawful. :rolleyes:

Hang on, you're the one assuming that straight ahead means the second exit, even if it's not straight ahead...

Hang on, you're the one assuming that straight ahead means the second exit, even if it's not straight ahead...

who decides whats straight and whats left?
    Its crazy, use numbers and make it easier for everyone to understand.

Ah, straight ahead, i wonder what that means... :rolleyes:

And numbers can't be used due to the different types of roundabouts in this country

• Advertisement

Ah, straight ahead, i wonder what that means... :rolleyes:

And numbers can't be used due to the different types of roundabouts in this country

roundaboutes8.th.jpgCan you honestly tell me that starting off at the unmarked exit you can tell whether 3, 4 or 5 is the "straight on" exit?

I dont see why you cant always use numbers?
    The first exit is always the first exit.[IMG]<a href="http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roundaboutes8.jpg&quot; target="_blank">[/IMG]

On a roundabout that size, there would, guaranteed, be one of those big green signs well before it showing the diargam. Use that to figure out which one is straight on. Now, the picture you gave there is too small for to see the numbers, but if i was coming up to that roundabout, the big green sign would give me an extremely goo dindication of which lane to use.

On a roundabout that size, there would, guaranteed, be one of those big green signs well before it showing the diargam. Use that to figure out which one is straight on. Now, the picture you gave there is too small for to see the numbers, but if i was coming up to that roundabout, the big green sign would give me an extremely goo dindication of which lane to use.

Well then I guess I will have to just disagree with you there.
    A newcomer to a roundabout would have to not only figure out which exit they want but also figure out if its straight or leftish or maybe even right?
    And, Im not even sure if all large roundabouts have this. Does walkinstown have this at each entrance? Does each exit on the sign have a place name or is it just the layout of the roundabout?

I think having a standard number system is better. Its more logical and would be the same for most roundabouts rather than unique to each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Geez Monke, Do ya do much driving around this country??..there are buckets of roundabouts like Greebos with feck all signage.

Regarding my use of the Tipp road roundabout, as far as I can make out from both books which are "supposed" to define the rules of the road, then entering the roudabout on the the right lane to take the third exit is correct.

All non standard roundabouts should have propper overhead sinage as to what lane leads to what exit.

And as Greebo said...all bets are off with traffic lights on roundabouts.

Be interesting to see what their reply to you is tho.

Any roundabout i've come across from my travels (Limerick, Cork, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry, etc) have been signed before it, supposed to be a regulation anyway. Any that i've come across that haven't been signed are dinky roundabouts. Usless little things they are and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

This is a major gripe for me. I know that it is both immature and aggressive, but when I come to a roundabout I apply the rules as they've been correctly posted here at each roundabout and if somebody tips me because they can't read/interpret a simple instruction properly then I could care less.

The mini-rounabouts are even worse, turning right across a main thoroughfare is a dice with death each time as cars coming against you are usually bombing it.

Despite my aggression, I've yet to be involved in any prang at a roundabout, but, especially going straight ahead, I'm involved in close calls with people honking me out of it every couple of days or so because the clowns go in the right lane.

What really galls me is that in this thread we've people who have obviously been doing it wrong for many years cannot bring themselves to accept that they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SeanW wrote: »
    What about signalling on Mini Roundabouts? I've recently changed driving instructors, and I got two different instructions on this, the first saying I should treat a mini roundabout the same a full roundabout when it comes to indication, with my new instructor saying I should only signal if I'm going to make a turn - which is what most people do on those anyway from what I see.

Your new instructor is correct. For a mini-roundabout, indicate left if you're taking the first exit, don't indicate if you're going straight ahead, and indicate right (and only right) if you're taking the 3rd exit/exit on the right.

The testers will accept either form of indication, but the latter form is easier for you and clearer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

if somebody tips me because they can't read/interpret a simple instruction properly then I could care less.

When given a choice between avoiding a potentially dangerous situation and standing on your rights / the rules of the road, your rights / the rules should always come second.
    What really galls me is that in this thread we've people who have obviously been doing it wrong for many years cannot bring themselves to accept that they are wrong.

Can they not defend their driving by saying that while it might lead to close calls, it hasn't caused an accident yet?

bonkey wrote: »
    yet?

There's the word! That sums it all up, they haven't caused an accident yet. They wouldn't cause an accident at all if they went around it properly in the first place!

And someone can't defend driving wrong anyway! There is no defence for driving wrong, none!

Any roundabout i've come across from my travels (Limerick, Cork, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry, etc) have been signed before it, supposed to be a regulation anyway. Any that i've come across that haven't been signed are dinky roundabouts. Usless little things they are and all.
    True, but those signs don't depict which lane is to be used for which exit.

You look at the sign, if the road you intend to take is before or is the road at the top of the sign, which looks straight on from where you're coming, use the left lane (unless road markings depict otherwise).

Sorry I have to disagree with you there, lemme get the rule book. I dont mind being wrong, as long as we can get a definitive result.

The rule book contradicts itself. In one section it basically says that straight ahead is the 2nd exit, and that the right hand lane is for the third and any consecutive exit.
    "when taking the first exit, going straight ahead or taking later exits off..."

But earlier on it says that you use the left lane to go straight but don't indicate until you ahve passed the exit before the one you wish to take, basucally saying that there can be more than one exit before straight ahead, meaning you need to stay in the left lane.
    "Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want."

Edit: Just emailed the Road Safety Authority to clear this one up.

This tells us that all roundabouts should only have 4 junctions. :rolleyes:

The older rules of the road book was more definitive, stating that the left lane was for the first two exits only. All other exits use the inside lane.

Now surely there would have been some form of an announcement if this was to change?

Surely it would have been in the book regardless. It contradicts itself. It says one thing in one paragraph, and something else in another. They would ahve to include what either of us are saying (whichever be true) because new drivers won't have the old book, so they will be going on this book only.

• Advertisement

Thats asking me to download something which i don't know what it is, so i aint downloading it. But is that the one with the 5 roundabouts going around the big one (which goes in the opposite direction)?

Yip in Swindon

I (obviously) haven't been on it, but i'll tell you one thing, i'd be cacking myself if i came up to that!

This is what was stated in the copy of the rules of the road, that I and the majority of other drivers would have studied to pass the test.
    Ireland probably has more roundabouts than any other country, although they are considered relatively safe, accidents are not uncommon.

You should:

* Yield to traffic approaching from your right if they are already on the roundabout.
    * If leaving by the first exit: approach and enter the roundabout in the left-hand lane signalling a left turn and proceed to leave the roundabout at that exit.
    * If leaving by the second exit: approach and enter the roundabout in the left-hand lane but do not signal until you have passed the first exit, then signal a left turn and leave at the next exit.
    * If leaving by any subsequent exit: approach and enter the roundabout in the right-hand lane signalling a right turn. Keep in the right lane (i.e. the lane next to the centre). As you pass the exit before the one you intend to leave by, signal a left turn and, when your way is clear, move to the other lane and leave at the desired exit.

taken from;
    http://www.pan-europe.utvinternet.ie/local/ireland/rules_of_the_road.htm

I'm extremely interested in what the rsa's answer is going to be to my email now! What rules of the road was that? I had the old one but i can't even remember there being anything about roundabouts in it...

I'll scan in the relevant sections when it gets home. Its in the car at the moment which is off on other duties. It was the rules of the road previous to the one Gaybo sent us.

The white one with a drawn picture of a guy on a bike (with other stuff)?
    Like the one in this but with blue where the green is?

From this book:

Untitled-2copy.jpg

The page I am referring to is:
    Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 6True9

Xennon wrote: »
    The older rules of the road book was more definitive, stating that the left lane was for the first two exits only. All other exits use the inside lane.

Which still stands as far as I'm concerned. Makes perfect sense too, traffic would move easier because you can exit the roundabout without some gobsh*te coming up your inside

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement