Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with dam E220 usb modem please

Options
  • 15-11-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey
    This fuping thing is driving me nuts for a while now. First, the pc won't boot unless i unplug the thing, when pc is up and running i plug in the usb modem click on icon to start, app starts up and does 3 things,

1, Can't find wireless device, 2, Finds wireless device but can't initialize, thus reverting back to step 1. 3, Starts up no problem 4 bar hsdpa signal, click connect which it does but them falls back to a 3g signal and then gives an error about not finding wireless device.

This is happening on the o2 network btw. Any advice welcome before i loose it with this thing please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

The modem exposes itself as a cdrom drive during POST, so its more than likely trying to boot off it which it cant. Disable booting off cd in your bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

lynchie wrote: »
    The modem exposes itself as a cdrom drive during POST, so its more than likely trying to boot off it which it cant. Disable booting off cd in your bios.

bios is set to look for only one device at booth .i.e me h/d, still, thats not the main pain in the arse, its 1, 2, & 3 which are the real pain.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times its not funny anymore. I'm having to revert back to using my 3 modem of the same model with no such problems but its from 3 so im not gona say much more on that if you don't mind, close enough to the edge as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The reason its seeing the usb device as a cdrom drive is because the firmware needs to be updated on the usb device. I had this problem when I used the 3 usb modem. If you go into my computer and keep an eye on the device it will come up as 02 modem but then will disconnect.

see more http://www.betterthan3g.com/clients/g35g/uploads/File/E220%20Vista%20Upgrade%20Procedure.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

What operating system are you using???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

JMURPHY3 wrote: »
    What operating system are you using???:D

Sorry, forgot to mention that minor detail. Its XP Pro SP2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

I had sililar probs with my O2:D modem.....leave modem plugged in after installing.With XP it may take a minute for XP to go to the login screen, this is just XP setting up the modem....I did same thing when I initially got my modem.
    When you have booted the modem will be found again and the cd drive and interface also.These new hardware found may come up twice and teh the cd rom with modem should autorun the setup program for the modem.I am suing the mobile partner software and it runs ok for me....Downloaded this from HUAWEI webpage.....Try above and see how you get on.
    It took me nearly a month to get my modem to go properly......I found that the pc had to be free of viruses and also spyware(Spyware seems to hijack the modem easily).I installed Komod0 4 firewall and have had no probs since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 trollfiddler

Hi,

I was having the same problems with my O2 modem on XP SP2. I downloaded the latest Huawei software as recommended but now it fails at the authentication step! Anyone know what the problem might be? It accepts my PIN OK and finds the O2 network, but won't log me in when I hit connect. Also, I don;t see the option for 3G network that you get in the O2 software.

Thanks,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

I had an E220 from 3 and I took it back within 14 days and got another one. When I got the new one home it wouldn't work. Had to remove all traces of the previous install - needed to use regedit (using Huawei and HSDPA as search strings) to do this as the unist routine doesn't do the job properly, settings for the previous install were still in the registry after it had run. As soon as all traces were removed I plugged the new modem in and it autoplayed its install routine and worked fine.

OK thanks Sean, will give it a try.

Go raibh maith agat.

No luck. Deleted everything in the reg to do with the modem and software, deleted any dirs left around, made sure all the profiles were gone. Removed the modem from device manager, unplugged it. Rebooted. Plugged back in modem. Found the hardware, installed the software. Created a new profile.
    Same as before, finds the network, indicates a signal strength of 5, registers with network, does everything in lightning fast manner and then croaks at authentication. I get error 619 can't connect to remote host, closing port.

<edit>Is there anywhere to download the original o2 software from?</edit>

Help! Please :-(

• Advertisement

Well duh! I've got it working with the help of this thread
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=75615

I used the modem init command to set the slot to 1 and it connects every time now and doesn;t give me "modem in use" errors when I reconnect.

Big problem is that it is crawling at 1 or 2k a second! Can anyone tell me how I can get the O2 3G bands with this software? There is no option for it on the "type of network" selection list.

Thanks.

I'm only really talking to myself on here in case it helps others in the future. So an update, the modem init command is working just fine, great connection every time. I'm getting 91 -97 % signal strength here in Charlestown Mayo and HSDPA. There's obviously high contention here because the network strength is great but the fastest speed test I can get is 1.2 Mb (bits). So that's 50% faster than my Eircom FWA broadband but still only one third of the advertised speed. So I'm going to get onto O2 support to see what's going on.

Hope this rambling helps someone some time.

Hmmm, O2 don't seem to care. They said it's probably contention (down to 30KB most of today!). They're going to get someone to look at the mast, but they said if I don't like it take the modem back to the shop and get my money back. I think I will if things don't improve by tomorrow. 30K is a bit different to 3.6 MB!

Well today is here and guess what? Yes, I'm getting burst rates of 3Mb and a fall-back rate of around 1.5 or 2 Mb for longer downloads. So looks like they had a problem at the mast/router end or they were being too enthusiastic with their bandwidth throttling. I'll give it another week or so and see how things go.

To paraphrase my fix - Got the Huawei software to replace the O2 software, set up a modem init string, called O2 to check the mast.

Throughout all this O2 were totally useless and totally disinterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Well today is here and guess what? Yes, I'm getting burst rates of 3Mb and a fall-back rate of around 1.5 or 2 Mb for longer downloads.

Oh you make me too jealous. 3 are also totally useless and totally disinterested but we all crawl along at less than 1Mbps. Still if those speeds can actually be had from an E220 it looks like 3's network topology is our problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Throughout all this O2 were totally useless and totally disinterested.

In what way? You informed them of a problem and it looks like the speeds have improved one day later. That's better then I've ever heard from any ISP in this country. They also told you it could be contention, very likely given the nature of 3G. This is something no operator has any control over as they can't control how many people are in any cell at one time.

The reps on the phone can't do anything about slow speeds anyway, all they can do is make a note of it so it can be checked out.

Well great speeds all morning but looks like the Friday afternoon crowd are away free from work. Burst rate down to 2Mb and transfers back around 500K.

The lack of help or interest I mentioned was with regard to trying to sort out my problems getting the modem connected originally. Having worked in IT for 20 years I don't expect anything from help desk staff if I can't figure it out myself. However they passed it on to their back-room boys and I never heard from them again. After finally getting the thing working on my own the help desk told me to b*gger off and get my money back if I didn't like the speeds. Not the most enthusiastic help I've ever recieved. It's only because I kept moaning they agreed to check the mast.

However, today is my last day to return the modem or the 7 day window is gone. It looks like I'll be able to get my heavy downloads done in the mornings and just do easy stuff like emails in the afternoon. Especially as they are promising double bandwidth next year from what I read. So I guess I'll risk a year's sub and keep the stuff now it's partially working.

OK, when you create a profile using the HUAWEI modem software you need to select the "static" checkbox for the APN and then enter "open.internet" as the APN in the box underneath. Then get rid of the modem init string described above. That will get you onto the correct internet connection and also allow port forwarding to take place for software like Azureus etc. You will find torrent download speeds increase dramatically along with your general speeds.

Advertisement