Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Octavia Estate 1.6Fsi

Options
  • 15-11-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Im thinking of getting one in january 1.6fsi ambiente, anyone have one and whats there experience with them. Also if i do get it im getting an Mph dominant speedo on it, will it de-value the car as plans on driving in england when i have full lisense please god:D and I cant get my head round km's and kph speedo's still at 19 yrs old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think that 1.6FSI engine is being discontinued... well at least it is across the VW and Audi range, so I'm sure same will apply to Skoda. Its being superseded by the new 1.4 TFSI.
    The 1.6 FSI is "adequate", but certainly a lot better than the old 8-valve 1.6...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Why on earth would you want a skoda estate at 19?Lol .. Anyway , whats there to get your head around with KPH , its not rocket science - just a metric for measuring distance/speed. And i dont think you get a choice in MPH dominant speedo or not

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Unless you really have something against diesels I would go for the 1.9tdi over the 1.6fsi everytime. Nicer to drive, more economical (55-60mpg) and when you eventually go to sell it on it will be worth a lot more. Skoda customers in Ireland are a conservative lot and are only interested in 2 engine sizes 1.4 petrol or 1.9tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the 1.6 FSi is being replaced by both the 1.4 litre and 1.8 litre TSi engines. At least it is in the rest of the VAG range.

Standard 1.4 TSi engine has around 120bhp which is 5bhp more than the existing 1.6 FSi. The 1.4 litre is also more fuel efficent and has lower Co2 emissions. Should be taken into account especially with possible motor tax and VRT changes just around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 skodacbradio

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want a skoda estate at 19?Lol .. Anyway , whats there to get your head around with KPH , its not rocket science - just a metric for measuring distance/speed. And i dont think you get a choice in MPH dominant speedo or not

I need it as big family plus i prefer bigger cars, I know but I just dont use metric at all in life or business, I can get a MPH dominant speedo and so can anyone else because of some EU law that the car industry has to abide by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I need it as big family plus i prefer bigger cars, I know but I just dont use metric at all in life or business, I can get a MPH dominant speedo and so can anyone else because of some EU law that the car industry has to abide by

There is a bit more to it than just replacing a KPH speedo with a MPH speedo on VAG cars I think. Afaik I read somewhere that the ECU has to have software downloaded for the recalibration. Not a straight forward swap. Not worth the trouble imo.

Might be easier to source a car in the UK or NI which will already be calibrated in MPH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Get with the programme... km/h not kph ftw:D.

FWIW all Irish spec cars are in km/h. Unless you want to buy a UK spec model you're "stuck" with km/h.

All recent VAG cars in kilometres can have the mileage changed to miles and they can all read out fuel consumption in mpg too(where a trip computer is fitted), just look at this Passat, so I don't see what the issue with a car in kilometres is. You can have the best of both worlds that way, speedo in proper units, and distance etc in miles.

In fact most metric cars can at the very least allow to set the unit for the trip computer. Toyotas/Lexus, Fords, Opels do this anyway. And the German makes(bar Opel), anything from VAG(which includes Skoda and Seat), Jags, some Fords, Toyotas/Lexuses, PSA(Peugeot/Citroen), also allow you to change the mileometer to miles too. I presume anything from Britain aloows you to do this(since they have metric marters and have a big song and dance whenever any attempt to modernise whoops I mean change their way of thinking is made) too.

Anyway, far more important is to back up what the others said, get the new 1.4 TSI engine, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, I think it does around 5 mpg more than the 1.6 FSI, 33 lb ft extra torque(155 lb ft at only 1500 rpm) and 7 extra bhp over the 1.6 FSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How the hell at 19 could you afford that??!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Holsten wrote: »
    How the hell at 19 could you afford that??!?!

? it's €25,000 ish . It's hardly Ferrari money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

...with that kind of money you should be beating the hot young ladies off with a stick ... not have them laughing at you thinking you're a pensioner!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 skodacbradio

Rite lads have it sorted e-mailed skoda asked about mph clocks answer is a big yes on them, where the money is coming from wel the credit union, lastly i would really like a jeep,levin,twin-cam,lancer or any other boy racer car but i cant unfortunately least not for a few years.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Rite lads have it sorted e-mailed skoda asked about mph clocks answer is a big yes on them, where the money is coming from wel the credit union, lastly i would really like a jeep,levin,twin-cam,lancer or any other boy racer car but i cant unfortunately least not for a few years.:mad:

why in gods name are you spending 25k on a new car at 19 ?

The depreciation alone is going to be nuts in the first 5 years.

Why not buy a 03 / 04 model and spend the money your saving on your kids ?

Advertisement