Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Agricultural Vehicles on Motorways?

Options
  • 15-11-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

So, twice this week I've been held up by a tractor on the southbound M1 between Balbriggan and Donabate, couldn't have been doing much more than 35mph and in rush hour traffic (shortly before 9am). Aside from the obvious dangers of something going that slowly on the motor way, the delay is seriously frustrating and causing other road users to do some silly things trying to move into very small gaps to get around it etc.

Question is, is this actually illegal? Or just very inconsiderate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

as long as the vehicle is over 50cc and can do more than 50km/h

its legal

live with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

How is it inconsiderate?
    If they satisfy the criteria specified by pa990, they are as entitled to use the motorway as you are. Just because they travel slower than you might like doesnt make them inconsiderate. Do you think the same of trucks or electric cars that cant match your speeds? What about those towing a trailer and restricted by law to 80kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agricultural vehicles are prohibited from using motorways in the UK, and as far as I know, in every other European country. Why they're not prohibited here also is anyone's guess, but as long as it's considered legal by those that make the laws, then there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately.

Personally, I'd take that 'vehicles capable of 50km/h or more' clause, and either increase the minimum speed to 80km/h, or just scrap it altogether and introduce a legally enforceable minimum speed limit.

Alun wrote: »
    Personally, I'd take that 'vehicles capable of 50km/h or more' clause, and either increase the minimum speed to 80km/h, or just scrap it altogether and introduce a legally enforceable minimum speed limit.

Cant see a legally enforceable minimum speed limit ever coming in with this countries love of roadworks/hedgeclipping/etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I can't see how a tractor on the motorway is a problem. If there is traffic (the M50) its no slower than the cars. If there is not much traffic, you can overtake it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has someone stolen the overtaking lane from that section of the M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

High&Low wrote: »
    I can't see how a tractor on the motorway is a problem. If there is traffic (the M50) its no slower than the cars. If there is not much traffic, you can overtake it...

Motorways are designed such that there should be no sudden changes in conditions, that is why it is safe for them to have a higher speed limit. On a reasonably busy motorway where traffic is travelling at between 100km/h and 120km/h, when the traffic meets a tractor trundeling along at 50km/h, suddenly the capacity of the motorway is halved. It becomes backed up very quickly and massively increases the risk of accidents. Think of it as a partially blocked pipe, you get a build up in pressure behind the blockage and the results can often be catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As far as I know, (someone please correct me) there is only one model of tractor capable of / rated for going faster than 50 km/h and that is the JCB Fastrack.

So to my reckoning, unless it's a Fastrack, it's got no business on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

MGrah wrote: »
    So, twice this week I've been held up by a tractor on the southbound M1 between Balbriggan and Donabate, couldn't have been doing much more than 35mph and in rush hour traffic (shortly before 9am).

How can you be "held up" on a motorway, by ONE tractor??:confused:

Step 1 - Check mirrors
    Step 2 - Indicate (right:cool:)
    Step 3 - Pull out
    Step 4 - Accelerate to required overtaking speed.
    Step 5 - Once passed, pull back in to left lane.

peasant wrote: »
    As far as I know, (someone please correct me) there is only one model of tractor capable of / rated for going faster than 50 km/h and that is the JCB Fastrack.

So to my reckoning, unless it's a Fastrack, it's got no business on the motorway

Quite a few contemporary tractors have gearboxes exceeding 50k. Also, putting longer wheelbases or deeper tyres on can significantly increase speed of those capped at 50kph up to 55kph just by having a longer circumference to travel per rotation. Many tractors are also limited by the garage and can be "opened up" to reach higher speeds. The tractor only has to be capable of reaching 50kph. It doesnt have to consistently adhere to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I thought it used to be vehicles must be capable of traveling at > 50MPH on a motor way??

Which i would assume would translate into 80kph? Has this changed? i would assume this stayed the same when we went to metric speed limits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nope, it's definitly 50cc and 50km/h

So I can't take my 50cc moped on the M1 :(:eek:

I thought it used to be vehicles must be capable of traveling at > 50MPH on a motor way??

Which i would assume would translate into 80kph? Has this changed? i would assume this stayed the same when we went to metric speed limits...

It was never 50mph in Ireland. It used to be 30mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Quite a few contemporary tractors have gearboxes exceeding 50k. Also, putting longer wheelbases or deeper tyres on can significantly increase speed of those capped at 50kph up to 55kph just by having a longer circumference to travel per rotation. Many tractors are also limited by the garage and can be "opened up" to reach higher speeds. The tractor only has to be capable of reaching 50kph. It doesnt have to consistently adhere to it.

+1

One can buy a 50k box for most tractors or have the limiter taken out.

Even the fast trac is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Today I passed a tractor which was pulled over on the M1 by the traffic corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

peasant wrote: »

I'll be very happy to correct you! Many modern tractors are capable of speeds in excess of 50kph. For example, most of the larger modern Fendt tractors would be capable of speeds way in excess of the bottom limit.

DublinDilbert - it's back to school for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

[drunken post] That would be some tractor to be travelling at 50mph. This tractor bashing on boards really has to stop, they are essential vehicles on the roads, they don't travel as quickly as other vehicles....GET OVER IT![/drunken post]

Driving along the M50 this morning I saw loads of tractors and diggers!

kbannon wrote: »
    Driving along the M50 this morning I saw loads of tractors and diggers!
    ...at the roadworks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You can fit whatever you want to it, the garda won't give a hoot. With no way to prove that it can go over 50kph and your obstructing traffic they'll ticket you and tell you to get off the motorway.

Souping up your tractor with no way to prove it is useless, the cop has to go with the premise that it can't reach 50 kph rather than it can.

Motorbikes have a certificate of restriction you can show to a Garda to prove its restricted.

However saying that Tractors are a necessity in some ways, construction companies are using them to get around paying expensive road tax.

Lane changing on any motorway should be kept to a minimum.

What happens to all the traffic coming off a slip road that are joining the motorway behind a tractor doing 30-40 kph ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kbannon wrote: »
    Has someone stolen the overtaking lane from that section of the M1?

yeah - duh, they put a tractor in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

woah woah woah - where to start - so many points people made - I'll do my best....

How is it insconsiderate?
    Assuming it's legal etc, it's inconsiderate to drive it down at least a 5 mile stretch in rush hour, waiting 30 mins until after 9am would be considerate, assuming it's legal.

Has someone stolen the overtaking lane?
    Nope.

How is it a problem?/Why not just overtake it?/considerately laid out instructions on overtaking...
    It's a problem because as another poster said, it effectively removes one lane from operation at that point in the motorway, but it's not just that...the M1 generally moves on that stretch at 110 - 120kph in the overtaking lane, and 100+ in the driving lane, reducing the driving lane to 50kph for that spot causes everyone in the driving lane to either slow down to 50kph or overtake, when one person can't immediately overtake at some point they will have to slow down and then they will eventually move into the overtaking lane at 50 - 70kph causing both lanes to slow, with traffic building behind it. This is a problem and I would guess caused me close enough to a 5 minute delay on each occasion (doesn't seem that long when you put it like that does it?). Of course there's always the 80kphers who love the motorway network - but that's not the tractor drivers fault. Moving these guys from the driving lane to the overtaking lane adds to it.
    Seriously I can't understand this question from people who obviously drive - have you never seen the effect that even a slow moving lorry at about 80kph can cause to a fast moving motorway?

Hope I covered everything - on a general note, far be it from me to bash tractors, I just think they should be kept off one of our busiest stretches of motorway during rush hour (possibly completely). This board always gives me a laugh how, no matter what the topic of someone's gripe, there's always others who will take an aggresive opposite view. Maybe it's just that driving styles are such a emotive topic, or maybe there's a bunch of people who just enjoy telling people to get over it, live with it, I have my rights etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

woah woah woah - where to start - so many points people made - I'll do my best....

Assuming it's legal etc, it's inconsiderate to drive it down at least a 5 mile stretch in rush hour, waiting 30 mins until after 9am would be considerate, assuming it's legal.

Nope.

How is it a problem?/Why not just overtake it?/considerately laid out instructions on overtaking...
    It's a problem because as another poster said, it effectively removes one lane from operation at that point in the motorway, but it's not just that...the M1 generally moves on that stretch at 110 - 120kph in the overtaking lane, and 100+ in the driving lane, reducing the driving lane to 50kph for that spot causes everyone in the driving lane to either slow down to 50kph or overtake, when one person can't immediately overtake at some point they will have to slow down and then they will eventually move into the overtaking lane at 50 - 70kph causing both lanes to slow, with traffic building behind it. This is a problem and I would guess caused me close enough to a 5 minute delay on each occasion (doesn't seem that long when you put it like that does it?). Of course there's always the 80kphers who love the motorway network - but that's not the tractor drivers fault. Moving these guys from the driving lane to the overtaking lane adds to it.
    Seriously I can't understand this question from people who obviously drive - have you never seen the effect that even a slow moving lorry at about 80kph can cause to a fast moving motorway?

Hope I covered everything - on a general note, far be it from me to bash tractors, I just think they should be kept off one of our busiest stretches of motorway during rush hour (possibly completely). This board always gives me a laugh how, no matter what the topic of someone's gripe, there's always others who will take an aggresive opposite view. Maybe it's just that driving styles are such a emotive topic, or maybe there's a bunch of people who just enjoy telling people to get over it, live with it, I have my rights etc?

I can imagine the guys with John Deere hats jumping up and down in their seats right now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

It also says no "slow moving vehicles". If the tractor is moving slowly, I think it might make it break the law. To note though, it must have a flashing orange light if it is goign to go slow; otherwise it definately breaks the law.

You often see tractors on the N1 form Newry-Dundalk; recently I seen some NI tractors on it, in the main lanes. The ROI ones are usually good enough to use the hard shoulder.. but when they were in the lanes it was causing a huge queue behind them!!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Nope.

Yup, I'm with you on this one. Slow moving vehicles on motorways are just rolling road blocks and cause huge disruption. I've even seen these tractors trundling along the middle lane of the N7 between Naas and the Red Cow oblivious to all other motorist around them.
    Anyone who says that these type of agricultural vehicles have every right to use these type of roads have no concept on of how motorways should work. Would you see them on motorways/autobahns in England or the continent? From my experience no. But sure this is Ireland and we do things differently.

MDTyKe wrote: »
    it must have a flashing orange light if it is goign to go slow; otherwise it definately breaks the law
    This is a major problem in this forum - ignorance of the law!

MDTyKe - it is illegal to operate a flashing amber beacon on a tractor on a public road unless the tractor driver is operating hedge cutting equipment or involved in road construction/maintenance! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

MDTyKe wrote: »
    The ROI ones are usually good enough to use the hard shoulder..
    Isn't it illegal to drive along the hard shoulder?

...and it earns one points!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

yellow012 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm with you on this one. Slow moving vehicles on motorways are just rolling road blocks and cause huge disruption.

Why the Fack do you not get out of my way then when I want to get by you?

And don't lie, as a motorcyclist, I can categorically state that you do get in my way.

Go on, clear off, you don't deserve the tarmac that could be occupied by at least 2 motorcycles.

Disruption caused by a tractor or two? You should try driving when there are a hundred thousand of you "blocking" _my_ way.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

nereid wrote: »
    Why the Fack do you not get out of my way then when I want to get by you?

And don't lie, as a motorcyclist, I can categorically state that you do get in my way.

Go on, clear off, you don't deserve the tarmac that could be occupied by at least 2 motorcycles.

Disruption caused by a tractor or two? You should try driving when there are a hundred thousand of you "blocking" _my_ way.

:rolleyes:
    :D

Advertisement