Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port's gone to the dogs

Options
  • 15-11-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

does anybody else think that portarlington has turned into a dump in the last ten years? im local, lived there all of my life, thats almost thrity years and i think that the town is just not what it used to be (obviously), but its just turned to an undesirable commuter hole, where you just dont know people anymore and lets face it its got a lot rougher.

not looking to start a heated arguement, but any views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i tink your kinda right lad,i,ve lived here all my life too and theres certainly been some serious changes for the worse and better i sopose, ya nearly know no one now when you walk doen the town,its nearly not even safe enough to walk down it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

yep thats generally the felling about the town alright. i remember when you knew everybody and the town was actually a nice place to live in. now you know nobody, and the place looks an absolute state.

The leinster express put it perfect when they described the town when they did the right up on it about on the tidy towns. The headline for portarlington read "suburb of dublin".
    I think that sums it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

It was kind of inevitable really. Urban sprawl and unplanned mess are two phrases I'd use to describe Port now.

I still have an interview I did with Ray Cribbin and Paul Mitchell prior to the local elections in 2004, and both were crowing on about how Portarlington will become a great community town, and how the council are being very carefull about where they give planning permission etc.

Bollocks.

I remember being in Navan about 8 years ago and commented on how it was a small town which had taken a lot of overflow from the Dublin suburbs. It didn't appear to have any real community as noone was there during the day, sure everyone was in Dublin working. Same thing is the situation in Port now. Kinda sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i think there was just no amenties put into the town to keep up with everyone that was comeing into it, our sewrage is goin to feck, every other day the towns flooded with **** and stuff,just look at portlaoise and tullamore, ya see how much they have come on in the past few years, we still have feck all

yep, the planning is an absolute disgrace. i was talking to a county council planner about 7 years ago in conversation and she said portarlington at that time was'nt able to deal with the sewage. since then nothing has been done. the town has been overwhelmed with housing, for pure profit and the town council members hav'nt seen to have done that bad out of it.

we dont even have a festival anymore and the local feel has just gone from the town compleltly.

question for anyone who knows... is it true that dublin corporation has rehoused a great many familys in private housing in portarlington, whilst locals have to pay massive house prices???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

dont know if dublin corporation are houseing people but there are houses let by "a council". I know of two houses in my estate which is a new estate about 4 yrs old.

As for the situation in port I agree. Im not originally from port but have lived in the contry for few years although originally a dub. If i had of known it was so much like Dublin I wouldnt have moved here. You would barely know your next door neighbour let alone who you meet on the street.

well i hope to be out of the town and in the country or moving further away from dublin in the next few years as i think the "communter belt" has ruined the town. Thanks for your views, undecided, its nice to see what people who are not originally from the town think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

I am familiar with Portarlington, although I am not from it. I think some very valid points have been made by other contributors regarding the over development of dormitary suburbs in the town in recent years.

Its a real shame, rich in pretty vernacular Georgian architecture, Portarlington could have been developed to a far higher standard had some thought been put into it. It's a naturally attractive town in terms of streetscapes with some interesting doorcases.

Instead, pre-existing features that had amenity potential were deliberately run down - while extra stress loads have been put on the town by the new estates. Increased population, particularly of teenagers/ young families, in a town with less amenities really does not make sense.

By amenities that have been down-graded or abandoned, I am referring to
      The Grand Canal branch that was filled in with a road put on top of it in the 80's; this was a real shame - canals can provide focal areas for a whole range of leisure and tourism activities, if the environment is appropriately interpreted. Instead, rather than a new road built adjacent to the canal, it was built on top - a cheap and nasty little solution. (Btw Portarlington wasnt the only town at this - it was also official plans in Dublin to fill all the canals in and do likewise). The Main Square and area leading to bridge: The natural focus of the town, a key feature of the planned layout with a fine Market House as centre piece that dates from 1800. Also here are the Odeon Cinema building, and what's left of Arlington House - where both Carson and Wellington were educated. Problem is Odeon is long since closed/ derelict, Arlington was let go to ruin and is now safely beyond rescue (maybe its already gone?), while the Market House is a shabby run down garage. Lovely :rolleyes:. Other prominent buildings in the area have also had aggressive development permitted in immediate attendant grounds (I'm thinking of a large late Georgian detatched house on the road to the station). Other features in the area that have not been utilised - Lea Castle comes to mind, with it's massive Cromwell-slighted ruins... Not many know about this place, and actually maybe thats as well as in the absence of a vistor mangement plan, its likely that it would only get thrashed. All the same, its an example of another potential amenity not being used.

All in all, imo the people in Portarlington have been cheated - all the pressures of celtic tiger development without the amenities of the town being brought up to match... if there's bugger all for youf/ community to engage in, can we expect any better than the now prevalent and tacky boy racer culture? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I originally moved down to Port (from Dublin) about 5 yrs ago now on the recommendation of a fellow Dub who moved down 5 yrs previously. The simple fact was I couldn't afford house in Dublin and to tell the truth I didn't fancy living in Dublin anymore after spending 4 yrs in Wexford. It's only when you leave Dublin you realise how mad it actually is, traffic, junkies, etc. To be far it was mostly the traffic that forced me out.

I love Port, still do. Maybe that's because I don't spend that much time in the town. It doesn't help that we've very few cops (but that's a problem everywhere now). I have a scumbag living next door to me but I just keep to myself and they do too even when they're knocking lumps out of each other.

I think it's easy to blame the Dubs but I agree with ODS the lack of amenities doesn't help and from my experience the majority of boy-racers in Port are from Port.

With reference to Cribbin and Mitchell they're two self serving bastards (and I've no problem saying that). I've dealt with them through our residents association and the stuff they promised to do for us. Needless to say we're still waiting. I think most people realised what the local councilors were like after the fiasco of the school site being sold for development and all our esteemed reps not uttering a word in protest.

Our estate is a fine mixture of dubs, locals, kildare and even non-nationals. We've only really had trouble in the estate twice in 5 yrs and that was actually caused by visitors. I think the majority of people in Port are grand but like everywhere else you have scumbags and if they're allowed get away with what they're doing, they'll just keep doing it.

Another reason for all the hassle lately can be summed up in one word - COCAINE! It's everywhere now and I think this has more to do with the recent decline in people's behaviour than anything else.

Roaster wrote: »

With reference to Cribbin and Mitchell they're two self serving bastards (and I've no problem saying that). I've dealt with them through our residents association and the stuff they promised to do for us. Needless to say we're still waiting. I think most people realised what the local councilors were like after the fiasco of the school site being sold for development and all our esteemed reps not uttering a word in protest.

I agree with you 110% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Roaster wrote: »

I also agree with this...i'm from Port born and bred and its gone to the dogs and none of our councillors have done anything!!! Its a shame that this town is on such a slippery slope!!

*cough*

So basically.. Port's gone to the dogs.

My brother is thinking of moving back down there with a couple of mates. His logic is that for what he's paying for a single bedroom in a house in Dublin he could have the best part of a 2/3 bedroom house down there. There's no arguing that.

I'm trying to explain the other points such as commuting costs, and the time spent commuting. The fact that unless you've a car, you'll be pretty much stuck in the town 7 days a week, relying on lifts, trains and a dodgy bus service. That you've no cinama round the corner, shopping centre down the road or the selection of college courses which are available part time in Dublin.

All that said, he still wants to move down. Ah well, at least I'll have a spare bed when I go down for weekends :p

connundrum wrote: »

So basically.. Port's gone to the dogs.

And then some.........:(

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Whilst i agree with the majority of this thread, i still have to say that im thanking the lucky stars i dont live in nearby similar towns like Mountmellick or Monasterevan. If you think Port is a dump then you dont know these dives at all. Both M/Mellick and M/evan are similar in size to Port but havent half the social outlets we do.

We have probably one of the largest ratios of pubs to population of any town in Ireland... on last counting i think it was up to 22 drinking holes. We have an exceptional swimming pool, which was always to the envy of other towns, even in its previous state. We have a decent and accessible community centre, two top quality GAA pitches, one with soon to be top quality clubhouse, a rugby club, soccer club, angling club, equestrian schools, and arts school, two excellent golf courses (one affordable!:)), a wide range of restaurants and cafes and two nightclubs *cough :o*
    It was always the case of 'houses come first, amenities come second'... thus we will have a new school soon on station road, the secondary school has been extended recently.

The town is badly in need of amenities such as a cinema, a bowling alley, a shopping centre or business area akin to tullamore. There was one planned for sandy lane but unfortunately never came to fruition. But it must be mentioned that these are accessible at most 20mins away. I wont bore you about the lack of facilities we had when i was growing up.

Now you can deconstruct my arguement as much as you want but hand on heart i am honestly happy to live in Port today... i know it will continue to expand (amenity and business wise).

sydthebeat wrote: »
    on last counting i think it was up to 22 drinking holes. We have an exceptional swimming pool, which was always to the envy of other towns, even in its previous state. We have a decent and accessible community centre, two top quality GAA pitches, one with soon to be top quality clubhouse, a rugby club, soccer club, angling club, equestrian schools, and arts school, two excellent golf courses (one affordable!:)), a wide range of restaurants and cafes and two nightclubs.

Whilst not wating to deconstruct your argument, I will say that everything you've mentioned above is true. The only problem is that when I first moved to the Port area 13 years ago, 99% of the facilities you've mentioned were already there (don't know about the art club - probably because I wasn't looking :o).

Whilst I'm happy that they're improving the existing facilities i.e. swimming pool, rugby club house, gaa club house etc. The still appears to be nowt new, apart from a billion new houses and apartments.

I'm unconvinced that the town will grow and prosper, as it has pretty much been stagnent for the past 10 - 15 years.

That said, its a helluva lot better than Mountmellick/Monesterevin, and even Offaly towns like Edenderry/Dangain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Hi there I was thinking of moving to Portarlington. I'm from Drogheda. Do you think this might be a mad move. I was looking at a place around the Oaks. I got talking to some local people when I went looking and they seemed really sound.
    I didnt get that feeling when looking in Port Laoise. Any suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

hey shortcorner,
    i moved into port last march and i have to say its a lovely place. i dont think its dangerous at all and the amount of young people moving into the town has made it a more youhful place. i work in monasterevin and i love coming home to port. the pubs are nice and comfortable and i feel there is still i lovely community feel. i have had no reason to think its a bad place to be at all.

lads imho, i think its a lovely town and i dont think there's no community spirit at all. :)

well iv lived in portarlington all my life and from experience in being a kid to adult growing up in the town, i think it has turned into a complete dump. anyone who has always lived in the town will tell you that two. But if you looking for a "dublin" town in another county, this is definitly the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Yes before becoming a "commuter hole" port was considered the utopia of Ireland, looked upon with envy by residents of other midlands towns as the land of milk and honey. Damn you blow-ins for ruining it :mad:

LMFAO @ chuckprophet!!!

just aswell you dont run the country so cos you probably wouldnt let any foreigners in if you peeved over non locals moving into port!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

I'm a local and I love living in Portarlington.Yes the population has exploded in recent years but that creates potential of prosperity and opportunity to meet new people.We need strong local representation at council and Government level,and whether it be through local forums,local groups or local representatives we should ensure that the powers that be are constantly reminded that Port needs new services and facilities and infrastructure and retail units and car parks etc etc to cater for increased and growing population.
    I have never experienced fear or anxiety in Port. and have always thought of it as a safe place to live and rear my family.Undoubtably at times it pays to be cautious and aware,like in every urban area,but that could be said of many other towns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Port will eventually prosper in retail and amenities. The population has expanded hugely in the last few yrs and will probably continue therefore the infrastucture will be developed to cope with growing population. Lets face it we're not doing too badly for a small town! My only major concern is the lack of garda pesence in the town. I think it's being left wide open and if it doesn't improve could end up being a disaster!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

undecided wrote: »
    My only major concern is the lack of garda pesence in the town. I think it's being left wide open and if it doesn't improve could end up being a disaster!

+1. I was shocked learn that the Garda Station isn't manned 24hrs a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

When I was there on Sunday morning. The Garda car must have circled the town about 5 times in the space of 1 hour. Maybe this is when they work lol

well i think its ruined the town. my little brother was walking his dog town town last week when some lad kicked his dog and his buddy who was with him punched my brother when i he tried to stop him. needless to say the lads were not originally from the town. he went to the guards, but as he could'nt identify them there's nothing that could be done. they said as soon he see's those lads again he has to call the guards straight away. the guards blamed certain eliments from dublin who were moving down. the problom is it will be the portlaoise guards he has to call as the station is not manned during the day. it just goes to show you that a young chap reared in a town can't even walk down it now witout being attacked. yeah its a great place alrite.

I have no prblem with expansion etc, but i cant agree with all of this if nobody was wiling to take on board the concerns of the locals. & years ago a report was published about how the towns sewage system was unable to cope with the current infrastructure in the twon. that was 7 years ago. how many estates have been pput up since then???? to make it worse i have just learned that not as the porblom was never addressed the now have had no choice than to give the go ahead to pump raw sewage into the river barrow at the lee end of town. it has also transpired that they have been taking water samples up river from the waste disposal pipes to get away with it, the pollution wasnt picked up. Trust me the place is a joke

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stevoman wrote: »
    well i think its ruined the town. my little brother was walking his dog town town last week when some lad kicked his dog and his buddy who was with him punched my brother when i he tried to stop him. needless to say the lads were not originally from the town. he went to the guards, but as he could'nt identify them there's nothing that could be done. they said as soon he see's those lads again he has to call the guards straight away. the guards blamed certain eliments from dublin who were moving down. the problom is it will be the portlaoise guards he has to call as the station is not manned during the day. it just goes to show you that a young chap reared in a town can't even walk down it now witout being attacked. yeah its a great place alrite.

to be fair steve, this kind of thing happens everywhere... its endemic in society.. its not just a port thing or a blow-in thing. I remember when i was younger that if you say certain lads from certain estates you had to cross the road or youd get spat on and insulted.... . Yes, the (lack of) garda presence is a problem which needs to be resolved... but we do actually seem to have a larger number now than we did previously.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    to be fair steve, this kind of thing happens everywhere... its endemic in society.. its not just a port thing or a blow-in thing. I remember when i was younger that if you say certain lads from certain estates you had to cross the road or youd get spat on and insulted.... . Yes, the (lack of) garda presence is a problem which needs to be resolved... but we do actually seem to have a larger number now than we did previously.

true, but in this day and age i think a police station thats is actually open no longer than from 7.30 to 8.30 each night is ridiculous.

im in shock to hear that to be honest about ur brother. i walk regularly around port and i have never seen or heard anything like that happen. there are a few youngsters and teens who hang around the town but ive never heard anything bad from them. thats terrible to hear though.

the whole sewage thing is ridiculous. that is something they wil have to look into because the river cant be polluted like that.

Ruby-J wrote: »

the whole sewage thing is ridiculous. that is something they wil have to look into because the river cant be polluted like that.

last year the angling club in town took samples from the river as they noticed that there were no longer any trout in the waters. the actually found it to be one of the most polluted rivers in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

The only way to address this is to let councilors, TDs, etc. know what you want done now and tell them even though 3 years away sounds like a long time it's not, and if there isn't progress made before the next round of elections than you and your cronies can forget about getting my vote.

I did this with Tom Parlon about 6 months before the last elections and whilst he didn't get back in (and I'm not his greatest supporter) we got the outstanding works in our estate finished due to pressure from him onto the developers and council.

By the way just getting back onto the Garda issue. I had to laugh listening to Trevor Sergent on Q&A last night saying that most towns now have a great community spirit and that this is down to local policing. Seriously, what drugs is he on? I'm in the town most weekends and I cannot recollect the last time I saw a Garda walking the beat.

Oh I just to reiterate from my earlier post, I love Port. It's just a pity there's so many locals ;)

Advertisement