Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port's gone to the dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

roaster from what I know there is a group set up fighting for these kind of issues in port.

Steveoman I lived in smaller towns than this and that sort of sh*t is everywhere! It's not nice to see happening but it is the way society is people have little or no regard to others!

As for garda that is really going to have to be looked at! Just before xmas the offices of matt dunne and permnament tsb were broken into. I don't know details of what was taken, but remember thinking to myself they knew exactly what they were doing as would have taken gaurds 15 mins to respond to alarm! ALOT can be done in 15 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Roaster wrote: »

Oh I just to reiterate from my earlier post, I love Port. It's just a pity there's so many locals ;)

why is that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 livesinport

Hi newbie here. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this plan to build tesco on the flood plains?

absolutly ridiculous. thats field has flooded every year since iv been a child. but like evrything else in town, just throw it up and let the townspeople complain about it after

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Hi newbie here. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this plan to build tesco on the flood plains?

Brilliant. I think its unreal that this is even being considered. Can you imagine the conversation:

Tesco: Where'll we build our new store lads?
    Ray Cribbin: Well, I've some prime lands out here in the flood plains..
    Tesco: Ah yeah? I can't see any problems with that plan!
    Ray Cribbin: lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 livesinport

That's probably exactly the conversation they had

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

when is tesco getting built? i've been hearing this for years

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Supposed to be on a site off the 'new road' just after the weighbridge inn. thats where permission was refused for it previously in 2006. There hasnt been another application AFAIK... so it will definitely be at least a year before we seen a tesco in port.

I personally dont see an issue with tesco building on the flood plain, once its properly engineered to do so. The issue is how much of a precedent it will set for houses to be built, which i dont think will be significant. Tesco will be a standalone use and they will have to develop and retain the site themselves. Its different for houses, where eventually the council have to 'take in charge'.

Dont be fooled, the flooding issue is not something that can be protected against, the damage is already done by the numerous housing developments that have been granted permission over the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anniecm

Honey you are so totally right i left port in 1996 and since then everytime i come home (it will alway be home to me) i see how things have slumped. Ok there are new houses everywhere and new shops etc but it doesnt change the fact that the place has gone downhill. i come home on a regular basis as i live in north wales so its jump on stena and i am home in an hour but things have changed and there is too many non laois and biffos around - i am a biffo. its so sad as when i lived there it was so easy going and a nice place to live. when i go home to me mas now all i see is the usual suspects who time has forgot doing the things they did when i lived at home and high society ie the dublin commuters who live there but dont contribute to the town. its a mini london

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Port is still a very nice place to live.Yes its busier now and a lot of new people have moved into the town but how is that a bad thing ? I don't feel that the town has gone down hill, rather the opposite would be my opinion and if we could have strong political leadership perhaps then industry could be developed that would in turn create local additional employment.
    Local forum groups and all local political parties and any representative body that can further the cause for industrial development in the town should be encouraged and supported.
    I believe that there's lots of room for improvement but also that the town is very much on the up and is a work in progress.

• Advertisement

Is Station Road now a no-go area at night?

My brother was set upon by three young lads about a month ago, and recently a friend was kicked around the place by 5 guys - all at the roundabout at the bottom of Station Road.

A friend who hadn't even heard of the two above incidents warned me not to walk down there on my own after closing time. Now I've a nasty habit of bringing trouble onto myself at the best of times, but whats going on down there?

Sorry hon, i didnt mean it as a bad thing what i said. all i meant was that was when i lived there we all knew where we stood. as you so correctly said its politics. I think that Port has so much more to offer but it is been restricted by a higher platform to what it can and cant do. Believe me i live at the foot of Snowdonia and life can be fun but if you live and work here - here is manic everybody rushes around. What i meant was when i lived in Port life was so easy going. i could walk down the street and know everyone but now it is different that is all i meant. i wish sometimes i was still in Port but my life is here now and i get home quite often.

Hon i lived in port until 1996 and station road has always been a no go area after darl. There is no stree lighting(although this might have changed by now) . My little brother got the same treatment as your friend after walking his girlfriend home. Basically it is too near the hotel so the best advice which worked for us in the 90's as my friend lived in Seskin - get a taxi to Odlums or the Railway Bar (if it is still there) and proceed with your journey. Its **** i know but it is better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps xx

Where has Terry Leonard gone - he was the best guard around. When I was home I didnt rate him but being older now i can see where he was coming from, I was a leader in the local scouts and he came and gave to the kids a quite frankly scary reason not to to drugs. It worked. I am interested to know where he has gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i live pass the station road for the last 30 years and i have been walking home every night from the pub or club for the last 10 to 15 years and i have never seen trouble there or have never got in trouble there, and when i go out now i still walk home every night and never see any trouble, am i blind or what?????

ports best wrote: »
    i live pass the station road for the last 30 years and i have been walking home every night from the pub or club for the last 10 to 15 years and i have never seen trouble there or have never got in trouble there, and when i go out now i still walk home every night and never see any trouble, am i blind or what?????

blind drunk????? :D

good reply syd and that probably is the most obivious answer why i dont see anything

anniecm wrote: »
    Where has Terry Leonard gone - he was the best guard around. When I was home I didnt rate him but being older now i can see where he was coming from, I was a leader in the local scouts and he came and gave to the kids a quite frankly scary reason not to to drugs. It worked. I am interested to know where he has gone?

Terry lost his sight in one eye so he did and had to retire from the force.

he still lives out near monasterevan AFAIK.....

never had any run-ins with him thankfully..... he was part of the 'old brigade' along with Malone, Deere and Kiely...... decent lads...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    he still lives out near monasterevan AFAIK.....

never had any run-ins with him thankfully..... he was part of the 'old brigade' along with Malone, Deere and Kiely...... decent lads...

yeah in hindsight now, they were just doing their jobs

• Advertisement

Deere and Kiely...... decent lads...

Saved my life, I'll always have time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Deere and Kiely...... decent lads...

+1

how was that connundrum?????, they done a good job around town i sopose, kiely is still around isnt he

ports best wrote: »
    how was that connundrum?????, they done a good job around town i sopose, kiely is still around isnt he

Long story, but at the end of it - I did something very stupid which could have cost me a lot, and they were sound about it. Lesson learned etc.

Often had pints with Kiely at Offaly matches.

guard deere was very good to me before aswell when he could have rightly threw the book at me so +1 from me aswell!

i had a few pints meself in dereens in cloneygowan with him, i would not be drinkin with him at any offaly matches now;)

Advertisement