Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to start?! complete novice!!!

Options
  • 15-11-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey all;
    I've read a few other posts here and found them really helpful. I have a huge idea to pitch; have researched it and know that it would be in huge demand in Ireland, also it has not been set up by anyone else. My problem is that when it comes to business or anything got to do with it i'm clueless!
    In order to set up the business I would have to bring in a partner for 2reasons
    1. can't finance this on my own.
    2. am not trained to carry out my idea with potential clients.

Things i'd need to know is how could I get this plan off the ground?! I have not done out a buisness plan or anything like that, is there anyone I could go to speak to in relation to advice on this, business advisor etc..
    I'm situated in Cork so anyone in this area would be helpful.
    Thank you in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You've answered your own question kelly1979, you need to find a partner; someone who can help develop a business plan and marketing plan, advise on procedures and management tactics, and hook you up with people in the industry, investors, etc.

Are you in Cork city or county? I'd advice going to a CEB for advice, but I couldn't recommend the Cork City CEB, they don't seem to understand what they're actually supposed to be doing. East Cork CEB seems ok, from what I've heard.

Is this a meatspace or internetty idea? If the latter, I could probably give you a few pointers.

adam

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You will need someone who knows what they are doing in relation to a business plan.
    And try to get to know some people in the general industry and get their feedback thoughts on your idea (if u trust them).
    Make sure you can quantify potential earnings and returns if you are looking for an investor. And make sure they make sense. Do not over estimate what u think u can earn.

Try getting a few friends to trash the idea out. They may see some potential issues with your idea you may have overlooked.

Do you have any experience in the area?

I would also recommend the County Enterprise Boards. Not too sure which ones in Cork are good as I'm only here a few months:eek:

Also in relation to the Investors how much might you be looking for?
    Drop a PM if you want

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Look to at whether it is really as profitable as you think it will be. Get an idea of the sort of scale you would need to get to to give a 30 percent return per annum on investors' money and partners' time and effort.

It really sounds like you need a couple of partners, not just one. Think about this and how you can give the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

hey all;
    thank you all so much for your help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

As a start up, I would also go to Enterprise Ireland and see if I can get any funding or support, such as marketing feasibilit study etc.

Simona

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Enterprise Ireland won't talk to you beyond a (very polite and possibly quite informative, to be fair) PFO if you don't intend employing more than 10 people, and trading internationally. They'll advise you to go to your local CEB.

Advertisement