Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Skirting Boards

Options
  • 15-11-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

first of all im useless with DIY

but i bought a house and put down wooden flooring ( laminate ) and old skirtings cracked in two when taking them off

so i bought new skirtings and have a circular saw that im using at 45 degree angle to cut the shirtings so the fit nicely together but the walls arent straight and the skirting is a small bit twisted so u always fighting a losing battle i have some questions

is there a cheap tool that made especially for cutting angles on skirtings ???

whats the best way to do them ???

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

For 'off' angles, I butt join one end of the skirting up to the corner (fix that lenght in place. Then I cut a 45 angle on the piece coming to meet that, when you cut the 45 angle it gives you a profile of the skirting which you can carefully cut with a coping say and then fit in place.

Or you can be a little creative, if there is an even gap in the joint you could cut a thin sliver of skirting and fit (glue) it into the gap, a bit of carefully applied wood filler, a bit of a sanding and you'd barely realise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You can buy a a plastic device in any diy store what wil allow you to cut wood such as skirting boards at any angle ,they are quite cheap to, i have one but forget what it's called.
    You can use a jigsaw to cut which is easier to use than a saw .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Anthony_1980

whats butt join ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Its when you take one wall for instance, and cut the lenght of skirting to fit that wall exactly, dont worry about joints on it, so its 'butting' up against the corners. Then the lenghts of skirting coming to meet that you cut your 45's to get the profile and then cut the shape with a coping saw. This method though will only work for 'internal 45's (thats what I call them anyway)

EDIT, actually you dont really need to cut a 45 first, if you have a small piece of the skirting that you can draw the profile on the piece to be cut that will do.

See below:
    http://www.uk-homeimprovement.com/diy/joinery/skirting.htm

thanks for that link

see when he penciled around the skirting onto existing skirting , he then cut with jigsaw

is that ok to do ? as in u dont need to cut aukward 45 degree angles ?

and who has a vice in there house come on :)

• Advertisement

Any respectable diy ' r will have a vice in his house /shed ......you should be ashamed of your self.

first of all i said i was useless with DIY so no excuses there

just want to know do i have to cut 45 degree angles while joining ??? or easier way

first of all i said i was useless with DIY so no excuses there

just want to know do i have to cut 45 degree angles while joining ??? or easier way
    Only kidding about the vice, you measure the length of skirting boards you wish to have cut ,you cut them individually as long as you allow a few metres little extra (in case of mistakes ) ,thats were the plastic angle cutter item i mentioned comes in handy , it allows you to cut clean and at the degree you wish ,with jigsaw or hand saw..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

So long as you are painting the skirting you can fill any small gaps with builders caulk, wipe off excess, allow dry and then paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

latchyco wrote: »
    Only kidding about the vice, you measure the length of skirting boards you wish to have cut ,you cut them individually as long as you allow a few metres little extra (in case of mistakes ) ,thats were the plastic angle cutter item i mentioned comes in handy , it allows you to cut clean and at the degree you wish ,with jigsaw or hand saw..

are you talking about a mitre box:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

where are you based? I could fit the skirting for you if your not far away...

Advertisement