Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual Fox

• 15-11-2007 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Did anyone here ever see/shoot a Silver fox, Cross fox, black or albino? I missed a silver fox last year while out lamping and shot a cross fox a few weeks back, which is away being stuffed at the moment i will post some pics when i get a chance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Would they be the descendants of old fur farm escapees or releases ? I thought silver foxes were more of an Arctic and Scandinavian animal. Maybe Peter might enlighten us a bit on their background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

more wikipedia stuff for yiz -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

What is a cross fox??

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Dont have much time to reply. But ya silver foxes are mutations of the American red fox selectively bred for fur farming. The American red fox is thought to be the same species as the European red fox. Mutations of course can also naturally occur here.

Would be great to see the pictures

Will post more when I get the chance, have to jet to Cork to disect some roadkill pine martens and otters.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Cross fox is another colour variant of the red fox. It has a black stripe along its spine and shoulders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ruger.220swift

The cross fox i shot had black legs, black underbelly, chest and chin, black stripes on his face, black ears and tail with a white spot, and the remainder red with black hairs through the fur. Nice unusual one thats why i got him stuffed. Missing the silver one still haunts me.... he should be on the mantle piece, well some day i might get another chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

have you a picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ruger.220swift

I have 2 at home will try get them up tommorrow. google cross fox in images and you will see one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Was told of a silver fox near where I live but I think it was a rise to get me shooting in a different spot by another lad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Black fox shot in U.K. by 'Shooting Times' reader.

BlackFox.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

WOW i;d have to say i'd be thinking twice before pulling tha trigger as i'd hate if it happened to be someone much love'd mut....but its a trophy ...must be rare Neo researcher ???

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

Alright who used the black polish!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sfinn wrote: »
    Alright who used the black polish!!!:D

Was wondering that myself :confused:Especially when I saw Shooting Times mentioned :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

it looks exactly like my mates dog.. tail and all... now that i think of it, maybe its not a dog :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

What is a cross fox??

hes the one that snaps as you approach:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

maglite wrote: »
    hes the one that snaps as you approach:p

hmm ...the wife snaps and she was a fine fox when i met her and still is (she reads these boards)but barks much easier now days .....red heads you either love them or hate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Red Fox is most commonly a rusty red, with white underbelly, black ear tips and legs, and a bushy tail with a distinctive white tip. The "red" tone can vary from crimson to golden, and in fact can be brindled or agouti, with bands of red, brown, black and white on each individual hair when seen close up. In North America, the red fox's pelt has long, soft hair, whereas the fur of European red foxes is flatter and less silky.[5]

In the wild, two other colour phases are also seen. The first is silver or black, comprising 10% of the wild population and most of the farmed. Approximately 30% of wild individuals have additional black patterning, which usually manifests as a stripe across the shoulders and down the centre of the back. This pattern forms a "cross" over the shoulders, hence the term "cross fox".
    I'd be very surprised is black and silver foxes were 10% of the wild population, certainly not in Ireland, could it be this high in the states?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Wonder if there is any chance Mr. black fox might have somthing to do with the large cat sightings, seen up and down the UK and Ireland?

Any idea where he was shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I shot a fox last year and when I went to get it I swore I had shot a german shepherd with a bushy tail. The clouring was all the same.

Can a fox breed with a domestic Dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Shooting Times & Country Magazine
    18th December 2003
    Letters to the Editor

blackfox-1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement