Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Mobiles/PDA's forum..appeal!!

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Recently got banned from Mobiles/PDA's forum for posting on a subject which turned out to be banned.
    I was posting on the use of a blacklisted phone in the UK and would it work on Irish networks. To me at the time it seemed like a reasonable thread.
    Unfortunately one of the rules state
    No warez, cracks, unlock codes for stolen devices, etc. to be either sought or given.
    I didn't think that blacklisted phones were only phones reported stolen which would make my thread come under this rule.
    my original post said

"Hopefully someone has had experience with this here

If a phone is barred/blacklisted in the UK can it be used on any of the Irish networks?
    I know of someone who bought one and it worked in Australia..
    Any Ideas?"

When i went back last night to check to see if my thread had replies i had a reply from a mod over there called "The Corinthian" saying "It means the phone is stolen. User banned. Thread locked"
    TBH i was pissed off at this and sent the said Mod a PM saying a warning would have been nice first and asking how long my Ban would be for. (i also called him an ass in one of the sentences, just trying to be honest here i was pissed off)
    he replied saying i was banned for good and don't bother responding to his PM
    I think a permanent ban is a little harsh and i have since apologised in a PM to the Mod but he refuses to reinstate and invited to bring this up on the feedback forum.

To me the rule is very vague. I wasn't aware as i said above that I didn't think that blacklisted phones were only phones reported stolen, as i gave an example to the Mod that a friend had lost a phone, reported it LOST
    And then when moving to Australia he found it again and used it there.

Thats about it really

Appeal Entered...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

First off, have you got a link to the thread?
    You can log out and view it, or use a different browser.

Secondly, abusive PM's are never a good idea.

Thirdly, have a look at the forum charter. You'll probably get a good explanation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You called the mod an ass? What did you think that would accomplish? Personal abuse is not allowed here and abusing someone by PM will get you site-banned. You should consider yourself lucky he didn't report the abuse to the admins or smods.

Secondly, abusive PM's are never a good idea.
    Yeah i know that, i was just a bit annoyed, because its the only forum i really post in.
    Thirdly, have a look at the forum charter. You'll probably get a good explanation there.

To be honest i think the rules on the subject on which i was posting are vague to say the least

thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

To ban you was fair. You were asking about information on a stolen phone.
    It might not be spelled out in the charter but it's pretty obvious you shouldn't be asking those kind of questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

pajodublin wrote: »
    To me the rule is very vague. I wasn't aware as i said above that I didn't think that blacklisted phones were only phones reported stolen,

Ignorance is no defence, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A ban is probably warranted, but the guy only has 54 posts and probably doesn't even know what a Charter is. A much more beneficial solution would have been for the Mod to PM the noobie without resorting to a ban.

To ban you was fair. You were asking about information on a stolen phone.
    It might not be spelled out in the charter but it's pretty obvious you shouldn't be asking those kind of questions.

Pythia - well obviously i don't think its fair or i wouldn't be posting here.
    It was an information gathering question that was misconstrued as illegal activity.

How are you to know the phone is stolen?
    And you Seriously think a lifetime ban is fair??? SERIOUSLY??

ned78 wrote: »
    A ban is probably warranted, but the guy only has 54 posts and probably doesn't even know what a Charter is. A much more beneficial solution would have been for the Mod to PM the noobie without resorting to a ban.

Thanks Ned
    Thats all i asked for in the first place.

No warez, cracks, unlock codes for stolen devices, etc. to be either sought or given.

Now it may be that the phone was reported stolen and then found, but the mods there can't really tell if that is true or not.
    The only way around that would be to get the person who reported it stolen to call whatever phone company and get them to unblock it.

As for your ban, I suggest you PM the corinthian and apologise for the abusive PM and ask for a bit of leniency on the ban.

It might not work, but it's worth a try.

• Advertisement

Terry
    have done this and to no avail

Terry - Have just PM'd the Mod in question with apologies and such but TBH i cant see anything coming of it.

If he refuses to reinstate me what are my other options
    (other than registering again with a new user name) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

(other than registering again with a new user name)

Jus a bit of a heads up, you get sitebanned for that.

krazy_8s wrote: »
    Jus a bit of a heads up, you get sitebanned for that.

TY K8
    i meant it in Jest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Terry - Have just PM'd the Mod in question with apologies and such but TBH i cant see anything coming of it.
    Be patient. Some of us work for a living.

Had you approached me originally in a calm fashion I would have been more inclined to accept your explanation. Seriously, whether in the Real World or the Interweb, hurling abuse at people is just the wrong way of going about things. After all, if a cop pulls you over do you think calling him or her an ass will engender them to let you off with a warning?

Additionally, given most shills and spammers have low post counts too, being a 'noob' is a wafer thin excuse at best, IMO. And, as Pythia points out, ignorance is not a valid excuse.

Apology accepted. Reduction to a two week ban. PM me after that time to get it lifted.

I was being patient, by the way you signed off your last PM i didnt think you would reply
    No further discussion via PM will be entertained by me at this stage.
    Had you approached me originally in a calm fashion I would have been more inclined to accept your explanation.
    I dont think you would, you said in your first PM to me that it was a permanent Ban and even if there was any hope left it was gone because of the original PM i sent. So basically i was banned no matter how i approached you.
    Additionally, given most shills and spammers have low post counts too, being a 'noob' is a wafer thin excuse at best, IMO. And, as Pythia points out, ignorance is not a valid excuse.
    You do a search on my posts and tell me have i ever spammed. And i wasnt ignorant at all. It was a reason that you were too quick to dismiss.
    Apology accepted. Reduction to a two week ban. PM me after that time to get it lifted.
    Will do.

Just because i apologised (which i agree i did owe to you) it does not mean i don't get to explain myself which i felt i have done on this thread.

But TBH 2 weeks still seems unfair
    (i know what you all are thinking, take the 2 weeks and let it lie)
    Just an opinion

And by the way
    Originally Posted by The Corinthian:

Are you trying to say i Don't work for a living
    oh how i would love to compare jobs with you

I just cant help myself
    Im a human with opinions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

And by the way

Are you trying to say i Don't work for a living

I just cant help myself
    Im a human with opinions

He's busy with his job is all he was saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Don't go and make me change my mind now with your need for vindication.
    Heh. Trust me, it's unlikely you want to.

Don't go and make me change my mind now with your need for vindication.
    Trust me im not trying to make you change your mind, i meant my apology as i state above, i just thought the punishment was a little harsh
    Heh. Trust me, it's unlikely you want to.
    and why would that be then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just an opinion
    Its an opinion alright but given the fact that the ban was permanent and now reduced to 2 weeks I would suggest you let the matter drop now.

Never piss on a dog while you have your hand in it's mouth ;)

Mods

this can be closed now

All is resolved

thanks

I was being patient, by the way you signed off your last PM i didnt think you would reply
    No further discussion via PM will be entertained by me at this stage.

I dont think you would, you said in your first PM to me that it was a permanent Ban and even if there was any hope left it was gone because of the original PM i sent. So basically i was banned no matter how i approached you.

You do a search on my posts and tell me have i ever spammed. And i wasnt ignorant at all. It was a reason that you were too quick to dismiss.

Will do.

Just because i apologised (which i agree i did owe to you) it does not mean i don't get to explain myself which i felt i have done on this thread.

Just an opinion
    And you were doing so well.

I would suggest a bit more civility the next time a mod shortens a ban for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I want to know what you do for a job now....well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

He's a stunt double for Sonnenblumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

armies_of_exigo_fall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hold on a minute!

This guy's been given latitude because he's a noob? He's been posting here since 2005. If he hasn't read a charter in 2 years, he's no excuses.

Just when things seem sorted, some w*nker comes along and throws a spanner in the works!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

He joined the same time as me ... can I get a list of some shit I can get away with? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Mods

this can be closed now

All is resolved

thanks

So much resolution in one day... wowsers

and closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement