Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Zoom whitening experience

• 15-11-2007 4:07pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had my teeth Zoom Whitened last night and I thought I'd share my experience for anyone thinking of having it done..

Firstly, it hurts, it hurts bad... The dentist who did it told me in my consultation that I may experience 'some sensitivity' during the procedure.. She really should have prepared me for what I had to endure.. It felt like someone was sticking needles into every nerve in every tooth in my head, she told me we could stop at any time and I could just raise my hand but for the money I paid there was more chance of me passing away in the chair than just walking out of there.. Anyway, so I had to endure this torture for 3 15 minute intervals to achieve the desired effect.. Now don't get me wrong, I am happy with the result and tbh I would do it again if I felt I needed it... But I wish someone had told me before I went in what to expect cause then it mightn't have seemed so bad.. Also they pack your mouth out with gauze and put a bib round your neck and mine had to be changed twice cause they were just soaked in my saliva cause my mouth was clamped open the whole time, definitely not the most pleasant experience of my life.. I spoke to a friend today whos sister had the same thing done a year ago and said it was the same for her so I'm not the only one.. Thank God..

Anyway, to anyone getting it done... Be prepared :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

xzanti wrote: »
    for the money I paid

How much does it cost?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

How much does it cost?

I paid €500 but that was a special promotional offer... well it was €400 for the whitening and €100 for the take home tray kit which was optional but I figured if I'm gonna do it I might aswel go the whole hog.. When I inquired about it at the same clinic last May it was €700..

Are we talking Hollywood smile??? Is it whiter than white?

Not quiet lol.. but she did tell me in the cosultation not to expect to be glowing in the dark.. I'm quite happy with them though.. Aparently I'm 6 shades brighter.. There are some before and after shots here, these should give you an idea of what you'd be looking at if you're thinking of having it done

http://www.locateadoc.com/gallery.cfm/Action/Gallery/GalleryID/2356

The pics look good. I might just look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A mild warning to people...I find tooth whitening moderatly effective and without long term side effects however dont trust pictures as the camera setting can cheat and have a vast effect on the colour, and your teeth being dry directly after a bleaching session will make them seem whiter. Your white filling and crowns will not change colour, the colour change is not permanent and will fade after about 18 months on average. Apart from that it is the most conservative way to brighten your teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd be a bit freaked out if I was in a lot of pain getting my teeth whitened!
    Isn't that a sign the enamel has been damaged?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

There are some before and after shots here, these should give you an idea of what you'd be looking at if you're thinking of having it done http://www.locateadoc.com/gallery.cfm/Action/Gallery/GalleryID/2356
    A mild warning to people...however dont trust pictures as the camera setting can cheat and have a vast effect on the colour...

from that site, check out these 'before and after pics' - same pics with a bit of photoshopping :rolleyes:
    http://www.locateadoc.com/gallery.cfm/Action/Gallery/GalleryID/3385

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sheanswers

I had this procedure the end of last month(April 08) and am serioulsy not happy with the results.I wouldn't say my teeth are white at all. Firstly yes it was very painful. I was told briefly that i would feel the same way i do when i eat something cold...my teeth aren't sensitive to hot/cold? I had terrible sensitivity for the remainder of the day, at least 10 hours of pain afterwards and i found that i had headaches for a week after? I cannot say if it was directly related but i usually dont suffer from them. Initailly i was happy when she gave me a mirror but to be honest i was so happy to get out of the chair and office. I think my teeth have returned to their initial colour after 3 weeks nothing to do with my diet or habits. I have telephoned the clinic this morning about my unhappiness and am awaiting some kind of response/remedy from the dentist, maybe they can give me the home kit to try but i do not intend going back for the laser treatment. I will post the outcome and if i am unhappy with their service i will post where i received the treatment because €400 is alot of money to throw down the swonny! i feel like i had to write this because i am so disappointed, how do other people do it? is it just better dentists or just plain better teeth?

I got the home kit aswel as the treatment, and it's just as sore tbh... I was in agony after using the kit.. Regarding the result, I did find the whiteness did fade a little after about a month, but I got Crest strips off Ebay and they seem to have brought them up whiter than the laser treatment.. Could have saved myself the bother tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sheanswers

thanks for your reply it actually makes me feel better that someone else has has similar experience i don't feel like such a mug afterall. So i went to the dentist and they have offered me the home kit which i think i will pass on it would cost me an additional €100 i think i am going onto ebay and get the crest strips!! veneers may be the way forward to that dazzling smile i so wanted!!!:)

sheanswers wrote: »
    thanks for your reply it actually makes me feel better that someone else has has similar experience i don't feel like such a mug afterall. So i went to the dentist and they have offered me the home kit which i think i will pass on it would cost me an additional €100 i think i am going onto ebay and get the crest strips!! veneers may be the way forward to that dazzling smile i so wanted!!!:)

Nah the Cresties should do the trick... I must advise however, take 2 neurophen a half hour before you use the strips cause they can hurt, and NEVER use the strips straight after brushing your teeth... Ouchies :o

Hmm if those crest strips are hurting you and you've stopped brushing your teeth before you use them...I think you should go see your dentist. That's not normal.

My teeth are sometimes slightly more sensitive after use, but the worst side effect I find is that they make me drool a LOT when I have them on my teeth :p

eth0_ wrote: »
    Hmm if those crest strips are hurting you and you've stopped brushing your teeth before you use them...I think you should go see your dentist. That's not normal.

My teeth are sometimes slightly more sensitive after use, but the worst side effect I find is that they make me drool a LOT when I have them on my teeth :p

Mine are extra sensitive and I know why... Don't need a dentist to tell me.. I asked the girl in City Dental if there were ANY circumstances under which you shouldn't get whitening done, she said 'no'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'd be a bit freaked out if I was in a lot of pain getting my teeth whitened!
    Isn't that a sign the enamel has been damaged?

I would be of the same opinion, even though my teeth could do with whitening especially with a family wedding in a couple of months. I'd like to know of anyone has info on the damaging effects, if any on teeth.

Mine are extra sensitive and I know why... Don't need a dentist to tell me.. I asked the girl in City Dental if there were ANY circumstances under which you shouldn't get whitening done, she said 'no'...

Well that's quite scary for a start - there are lots of reasons why you shouldn't get whitening done. If you have veneers, a crown, gum disease, tooth decay, if you are a smoker and can't stop smoking for a few days either side of a professional whitening done in surgery.

Even if none of the above affects you, home whitening can damage tooth enamel, damage your gums. Even whitening toothpastes shouldn't be used daily as they damage the tooth enamel (this is something I was not aware of until now, there's no warning on my Crest whitening tooth paste, and i'm going to curb my use of it now).

Quite scary that City Dental would give you such a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rustysaucepan

look closely at the two before and after shots. the before and after shots are identical apart from the tooth colour. every hair on his head is exactly the same before the procedure and after it. his smile is identical before and after....dont be fooled this is impossible..... they simply took one photo and digitally enhanced the teeth to glow white....scam this procedure

Licksy wrote: »
    from that site, check out these 'before and after pics' - same pics with a bit of photoshopping :rolleyes:
    http://www.locateadoc.com/gallery.cfm/Action/Gallery/GalleryID/3385

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

II got Crest strips off Ebay and they seem to have brought them up whiter than the laser treatment.. ..

What are crest strips and how do they work , i dont mean to sound very stupid asking this question but i really dont know??

What are crest strips and how do they work , i dont mean to sound very stupid asking this question but i really dont know??

They come in little sachet things, they're little strips of delicate plastic coated on one side with a whitening substance, you get different size strips for top and bottom sets, put the correct strip over each set and envelope them over the teeth, leave on for a half hour at a time and remove.. They're made by Crest obviously and you can buy them from America, Ebay is the best and cheapest place to find them.. I found them great :D

Best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thewoolielad

I am attending a dentist in Belfast and asked him his views on Zoom laser whitening and get this he said it does not work. he had the system in his practise for 6 months and was fully trained on it and said it is a pure scam! he said it is physically not possible to recieve pearly whites when you have zoom for 45 mins and any gains only last about a couple of weeks. Most dentists who carry out this procedure will tell you anything he says and after the zoom they give you trays and gels to take home...he said if zoom is that good then why the hell do you need trays and gels to "top up" as they will have you believe. anyway not to be ranting on but he got rid of the system from his surgery and now uses a system of trays and gels known as Polanight. I have been trying for a few nights now and can honestly say it works cause one of my teeth is a crown and this does not whiten as natural teeth do and so i can judge how white my teeth are getting...already about 4-5 shades ( after 2 nights) and i have 2 weeks to go. so save your money and get the gels and trays they are the best method. oh on a side note i am getting crowns and veneers for half price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

The OP spend €500 on whitening! :eek::eek:

And it is well-known now that some whitening methods do more harm than good.

Why would you not just get a descale and polish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aminaadan

I am delighted that I read all these mails first as it gives me a great indication of what to expect. I think I will go for the deep scale and polish followed by the crest strips and even the ole pearl toothpaste is worth another go !

if there are any updates then would love to hear them !

I am attending a dentist in Belfast and asked him his views on Zoom laser whitening and get this he said it does not work. he had the system in his practise for 6 months and was fully trained on it and said it is a pure scam! he said it is physically not possible to recieve pearly whites when you have zoom for 45 mins and any gains only last about a couple of weeks. Most dentists who carry out this procedure will tell you anything he says and after the zoom they give you trays and gels to take home...he said if zoom is that good then why the hell do you need trays and gels to "top up" as they will have you believe. anyway not to be ranting on but he got rid of the system from his surgery and now uses a system of trays and gels known as Polanight. I have been trying for a few nights now and can honestly say it works cause one of my teeth is a crown and this does not whiten as natural teeth do and so i can judge how white my teeth are getting...already about 4-5 shades ( after 2 nights) and i have 2 weeks to go. so save your money and get the gels and trays they are the best method. oh on a side note i am getting crowns and veneers for half price

Sorry to disagree with you but it definately made a huge difference to the colour of my teeth, without a doubt... Here's a picture of me at a wedding last month, My teeth were a LOT yellower than this before the treatment.. I would never have smiled for photos before..

52906188vd9.th.jpg

I'm the girl obviously..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

Sorry to disagree with you but it definately made a huge difference to the colour of my teeth, without a doubt... Here's a picture of me at a wedding last month, My teeth were a LOT yellower than this before the treatment.. I would never have smiled for photos before..

52906188vd9.th.jpg

I'm the girl obviously..

I take it the guy on the left didn't use Zoom and hence why he has his mouth closed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Whitening should never hurt, only temporarily increase sensitivity

If pain is involved, then you have underlying problems, so I'd suggest anyone gettin this done to get a check up and sort out any probs u have FIRST

no point in havin pearly whites if ur teeth are in bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

xzanti, lovely pic first of all :D
    Your teeth look lovely and white in that pic.
    How long did you use the strips before you saw any effect?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

I had the zoom treatment too a few years ago and it did seem like my teeth were whiter for a couple of weeks then they just went back to normal then last year I discovered the crest white strips and I find them just brilliant I used them after I had a check up at the dentist and a cleaning etc.. and they worked in about 4 days I could see a difference after the 2 weeks all my friends were commenting on how white they were I use the 5 min daily care ones now just to keep them white (I often forget to use them) and they are still grand so if you have family in the US get them to send them to you otherwise get them off ebay.ie. HTH.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Poirot

I paid €500 but that was a special promotional offer... well it was €400 for the whitening and €100 for the take home tray kit which was optional but I figured if I'm gonna do it I might aswel go the whole hog.. When I inquired about it at the same clinic last May it was €700..

I think that is crazy money to pay when you can get good effective home kits for a fraction of the price.
    I used a tray and gel kit that I found on www.hairagain.ie for 19.95 Euros.
    Great result without that Tippex look.

Poirot.:D

Advertisement