Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Cough in Galway?

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Just heard from a friend that her vaccinated dog has kennel cough. Apparently there is a strain that is resistant to the vaccine and it is, as she put it, "all over Galway". Does anybody know anything about it? Am a bit worried.
    So what can I do? It's not exactly easy to prevent my dog from meeting other dogs :rolleyes:

C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Why not try ringing a few local vet or animal places and see if they have heard anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Got on to the vets today. Apparently there are several strains of kennel cough and the vaccine only protects against the 3 most dangerous.
    He also confirmed, that several dogs have been taken ill and its an unusual form they haven't seen so far. He then went on to say that it is nothing to worry about, really.
    Well, might have to worry about being hit with a bill from him if my dog catches it ;).

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

yeah my dog got kennel cough a little while ago (not your crazy Galway one though) He got it off my parents dog who had been in the kennels but had been vaccinated so she was alright.
    I really think vets should explain the kennel cough vaccine better when doing them. We didn't know that there were a good few different strains so the dog isn't protected against all of them, and that the dog can still carry it and infect other dogs without getting the cough itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Running a rescue I have had many cases of KC but the worst and most treatment resistant cases I have seen were in dogs who have been in certain pounds.

Not all vacc gives you a safeguard that your dog will never contract a disease, many Parvo cases are known in Parvo vacc'd dogs. Viruses always develop.

Advertisement