Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speedometre needle flucuating...

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I've accidentally noticed on abot 2 occassions in the last month or so, that the speedometre needle drops to zero for about a second or two and then shoots back up again. I was travelling at about 60 mph the first time I noticed it and at 40 mph the second time. The car does not loose power and the revs stay the same.
    Anybody know what could be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

What car are you driving? Make/Model/Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

ford Focus 1.6 ghia 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

There is a signal generator in the transmission on these cars. More than likely there is a fault with yours.

Cheap enough to repair, you could probably do it yourself if you are comforrtable around engines, if not, bring it to a local garage and they should be able to replace it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I have seen this on a few cars, most likley a problem with the actual clocks themselves, you may just need to replace them, fairly easy to do, but the clocks themselves can be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Thanks, I was afriad the engine was going to seize up or somthing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have seen this on a few cars, most likley a problem with the actual clocks themselves, you may just need to replace them, fairly easy to do, but the clocks themselves can be costly.

I've seen this on a few Mondeo and Focus models. Fortunately the faults happened when under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

That happened on my dads car too, except it could cut out for a long time. He has the exact same car. The problem is with the sensor measuring the speed. It cost about 40 euro, and it easy enough to replace, but you gotta be under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had this problem with a 2000 VW Golf.I traded it in with this so dunno how it was repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Moanin wrote: »
    I had this problem with a 2000 VW Golf

Dodgy alternator can cause this on a MkIV(1J). Problems of that nature also occur with dash panel voltage regulators, but, IIRC, that was on MkII (19).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Fluctuating Speedo....try keeping your foot stable on the accelerator.... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement