Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will life be like in the year 3000

• 15-11-2007 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

TRY imagining what the world will be like in the year 3000.

How will we work, play, propagate, communicate, worship, wonder? What forms of bodies will we have? What will our cities look like? How many nations will there be? How long will we live? What technologies will be available to us? What about family, business, government, education? How deep into space will humans have ventured? How many people will live on Earth? will the M50 be finished ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Your great great great granddaughter will be mighty fine. So Busted tell me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

The Matrix? I got first dubs on Neo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

the world will end in 2557 a year before I was due to be thawed out

sad fact but true:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

will the m50 be finished ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

roughan wrote: »
    The M50 was finished many years ago. In fact, it's there right now I'm sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

will the M50 be finished ??

lol!

id say life will have changed quite a bit....think wat it wuda been like int the year 1000!!
    we probably wont be here tho...hang on these posts might be..

hi guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The world will be super politically correct. Breathing in the wrong direction will earn you a fine and you'll be put on some register.

Also, jetpacks and simian overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

We'll all wear silver one piece suits, we will have holiday homes on the moon, dinner will be a little pill, and we'll have darlek-style robots to do our housework while we fly around in our hover cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There will be hover cars and we tourist on Mars. Every meal is taken as a pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Savman wrote: »
    The M50 was finished many years ago. In fact, it's there right now I'm sure of it.

try driving on it on thursday at 6pm and you will know what i mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep.. I'll be happy as long as monkeys are ruling the Earth by then.

try driving on it on thursday at 6pm and you will know what i mean
    I have, and it's definitely there.
    Unless of course you mean the upgrade works which are already well underway. I shouldn't think it'll take them 93 years to build a bit of road.

The fish in the link below will have evolved fully by then and will be the new rulers of earth

not some damn banana eating monkey
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071114/sc_nm/belize_fish_dc;_ylt=At0ScRsYNIqR3jkarI2Dp3ys0NUE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I shouldn't think it'll take them 93 years to build a bit of road.

hes giving them 993 so they should be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Savman wrote: »
    I have, and it's definitely there.
    Unless of course you mean the upgrade works which are already well underway. I shouldn't think it'll take them 93 years to build a bit of road.

Don't you mean 993?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Y3K bug..... start preparing now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Who Gives a ****.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

By then we will have discovered that we are, in fact, each an intricate part in a huge galactic machine. The earth will become the universes largest manufacturer of desktop fans, and the other sentient creatures in the universe will rejoice that our planet finally became good for something, while enjoying a cooling breeze from their fine new fan.

At that point, the human phrase "global warming" will become the most celebrated piece of irony in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't be so stupid, we're not talking about science fiction here!

Sorry 993 :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sometimes it actually makes me a little sad that I won't be around to see the future, unless I freeze myself, futurama style.

Although, I don't think the world will be a nice place in 1000 years time. It'll probably be like 1984, or 3084. I'd still like to see though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 roadrunner41

Im not too sure if ill live that long, but so far so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How will we work, play, propagate, communicate, worship, wonder? What forms of bodies will we have? What will our cities look like? How many nations will there be? How long will we live? What technologies will be available to us? What about family, business, government, education? How deep into space will humans have ventured? How many people will live on Earth? will the M50 be finished ??

When the Microwaves and Time Machines forum gets the green light, we will get you your answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Really impossible to answer.

Go back and ask a Viking what he thinks the world will be like in 2007? The changes that happen in a THOUSAND years are vast and un-nameable.

Go back to the start of the 20th Century. 1907.

Things were so much different even then, and that's only a hundred years ago. No body then could have predicted the Internet, commercial passanger flight that would have you on the other side of the world in less than a day. Televisions showing live action from sports games taking place on another continent, in full colour? Unheard of a mere forty years ago.

Although, I will say this.

Look at Back to the Future II. The video phones that they had in that in 2015, we aren't very far from every home having that kind of thing in them, so I still hold out hope for Hover Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

eroo wrote: »
    Who Gives a ****.....?

The person who started this thread does.

Personally I think the human race will be wiped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I'd love to go back to the 60s when it wasn't commonplace to have either a telephone or a television in your home and ask people what they think it will be like in 40 years.....I wonder would they have imagined internet/email/mobiles/not walking to school etc etc...I'm sure they would have thought by 2007 we'd all be driving cars that coudl fly etc.....

I can't wait for tomorrow, nevermind the future byond that :D but I'd imagine, life, for me won't exist in the year 3000!

DesF wrote: »
    Look at Back to the Future II. The video phones that they had in that in 2015, we aren't very far from every home having that kind of thing in them, so I still hold out hope for Hover Boards.

I'm surprised people haven't started wearing two ties into work yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

How will we work, play, propagate,...
    Taking a mighty wild stab in the dark on this one, maybe the same way we did 1000, 2000(aside from a slight anomaly by a woman called Mary in Bethlehem) and 10000 years ago;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

There will be no need for cars as we will just "beam" ourselves around the place. And we wont need to go to the toilet anymore cos we can just "beam" it out into space. This is why there is no toilet on star trek. Space is pretty big so we wont mind poluting it but we would have sh1t floating all over the place. You could have a close encounter of the turd kind if you're not carefull.

• Advertisement

Ice_Box wrote: »
    There will be no need for cars as we will just "beam" ourselves around the place. And we wont need to go to the toilet anymore cos we can just "beam" it out into space. This is why there is no toilet on star trek. Space is pretty big so we wont mind poluting it but we would have sh1t floating all over the place. You could have a close encounter of the turd kind if you're not carefull.

I always thought the star trek world was full of sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Am I the only pessimist around here?? I have little faith in the human race. In the year 3000 we'll be back in the stone age or medievel tech level at best. World War 3 over oil or other natural resources will see to that. It will be a war of attrition and they've got a lot more people than us.

The future is Yellow (Peril) :D

Like Eisnsten said, "I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought but WW4 will be fought with sticks and Stones"......or words to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

DesF wrote: »
    Really impossible to answer.

Wha? No way! Get right outta town!

I don't think robots will become a big deal, I'de say cloned humans will be used as servants / sex slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there will be 7 countries. 3 of them will be named after myself and follow my political ideology. another will be at civil war over differences in the interpretation of my (intentionally ambiguous) writings. the rest will merely be dumping grounds for those daft enough not to follow my "path".

only places close to the equator will be inhabitable due to the ice age, and because of the restricted land mass avilable for growing crops the great famine of 2874 will have killed 1 billion of the population with the rest having emigrated to klark^j'noy 7, bar the 1 billion on earth too stupid or poor to have emigrated.

the sun will have expanded slightly, mainly due to all the garbage we dumped into it after 2047 with the invention of the anti gravity spammatron. oh and the earth will begin to lose it's structural integrity due to the matter lost as the ability to dump in space will have provoked extremely wasteful habits...

and boards will be 47 forums off the magical number 16^16 number of forums. oh and we will all have moved over to counting in hexadecimal. there will still be anti immigrant threads in AH, but posted mainly by the people of klark^j'noy 7. Ruubot will be still active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Humans won't be around in 3000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

FFS, 3000?

I'll be happy to make it to 2500.

• Advertisement

Slow coach wrote: »
    FFS, 3000?

I'll be happy to make it to 2500.
    I bet you don't though.

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    I bet you don't though.

Poppycock!

Slow coach wrote: »
    Poppycock!
    haha - I bet you meant 2050 - would you like to buy a scratch card with negative numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love how people think that a nuclear war would be the be-all and end-all. Humans and every other species on this planet are surprisingly robust. Nuclear winter is only a theory and ultimately nobody has anything to gain by dropping hydrogen bombs. What good is winning a war if you're dead?

Krakatoa, the volcano, exploded with about four times the force of the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated. World temperatures dropped by a measly 1 degree for a couple of years.

We always estimate our own importance and impact on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

why should i care? I'm not gonna be there:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

LovelyTom wrote: »
    why should i care? I'm not gonna be there:rolleyes:
    Then why ever get involved in any conversation that doesn't directly involve you, Mr. Cynic? It's a discussion board - that's the nature of it: someone makes a topic posing a question, and we DISCUSS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

seamus wrote: »
    I love how people think that a nuclear war would be the be-all and end-all. Humans and every other species on this planet are surprisingly robust. Nuclear winter is only a theory and ultimately nobody has anything to gain by dropping hydrogen bombs. What good is winning a war if you're dead?

Krakatoa, the volcano, exploded with about four times the force of the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated. World temperatures dropped by a measly 1 degree for a couple of years.

We always estimate our own importance and impact on the planet.

1 degree can have climate altering effects.
    now picture that explosion and multiply it by about 100. nuclear attack is very possible. if that explosion caused 1 degrree drop, then what would happen if the average temps dropped by say 10 or 20?

not to mention the amount of radioactive material and dust in the atmosphere that would poison the majority of the population, and the rest would starve and freeze.

:D

but as to what the world will be like in the year 3000, i think poverty, disease and crime will be non existent.

every human born will have a microchip installed into them that monitor's health, activity and so on. so murder will be a thing of the past along with disease as it can be caught instantly.

well, i dont really care. ill be dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think the year 3000 will be like 2001: a space odyssey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

"i know not with which weapons world war 3 will be fought, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

i reckon he was a smart bloke, and that quote makes alot of sense to me.

haha - I bet you meant 2050 - would you like to buy a scratch card with negative numbers?

Sheesh, I'll only be 90 in 2050. Nope, I wanna see 2500. I'll settle for 2300. Or 2030. Or 2009. :eek:

"i know not with which weapons world war 3 will be fought, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

i reckon he was a smart bloke, and that quote makes alot of sense to me.
    Yeah, but he never said that. Just like Nostramus never said most of the 9/11 things people were e-mailing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Theres no reason to think that life 1000 years on will be any different than it was 1000 years ago or 1000 before that. The rich will still be rich, the poor still poor. Wars will be fought, crime will happen every day. Only our technology will have moved on, not our Wisdom in helping ourselves. :(

"Theres no reason to think that life 1000 years on will be any different than it was 1000 years ago or 1000 before that. The rich will still be rich, the poor still poor. Wars will be fought, crime will happen every day. Only our technology will have moved on, not our Wisdom in helping ourselves." - Isaac Newton.

I think Newton hit the nail on the head with the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

"Theres no reason to think that life 1000 years on will be any different than it was 1000 years ago or 1000 before that. The rich will still be rich, the poor still poor. Wars will be fought, crime will happen every day. Only our technology will have moved on, not our Wisdom in helping ourselves." - Isaac Newton.

I think Newton hit the nail on the head with the above.

I agree, A lot of elderly people are not in any hurry to stay in this world any longer than necessary and there is nothing to suggest that they will be treated any different in the year 3000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Advertisement
Advertisement