Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will life be like in the year 3000

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just watch futurama, that should answer all your questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

"i know not with which weapons world war 3 will be fought, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

i reckon he was a smart bloke, and that quote makes alot of sense to me.

Major Hunter Gatherer powers were at war within weeks because of overlapping agreements for collective defense and the complex nature of international alliances.

As infantry attacked across no mans land they were moded down by stones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

"i know not with which weapons world war 3 will be fought, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

Never agreed with that one, im sure if 99% of the worlds population was wiped out tomorrow we would still have the knowledge base to get the trains running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

kowloon wrote: »
    Never agreed with that one, im sure if 99% of the worlds population was wiped out tomorrow we would still have the knowledge base to get the trains running again.

Still tho I'd imaging it would be quite difficult to hit each other over the head with trains or throw them at each other.... ;)

Celticfire wrote: »
    Still tho I'd imaging it would be quite difficult to hit each other over the head with trains or throw them at each other.... ;)

The 12th CIE Div. Swept over the land crushing all opposition with their mighty luggage rails, the stick peoples were subjugated one by one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Prepare for life underwater style and swimming to the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

kowloon wrote: »
    The 12th CIE Div. Swept over the land crushing all opposition with their mighty luggage rails, the stick peoples were subjugated one by one :p

That's if they aren't on strike....

Celticfire wrote: »
    That's if they aren't on strike....

Curse you! you've exposed a fatal weakness, worthy adversary indeed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I just can't see the huge stockpile of nuclear weapons remaining unused until then.
    To the hypotectical person who says why use them when they will be used against you , wars often continue over futile reasons. Say Russia decide, hey, lets nuc America tomorrow. As soon as the Americans relise an attack is on the way, they will launch one of their own, even though it won't do anything for America if America was about to be almost destroyed, its purely for revenge. People do stupid things when their angry.

WW3 is inevietable at some stage.Imo its certain that Nuc weapons[as they are there and easily accessable for any side capable atm of fighting a WW] will be used, or something worse. But, as well as having the fault to succuming to war etc, humanity has always had a great ability to survive. Mainly the future will be more technologically advanced, who knows. What I do know is if humanity survives till then, the general outlayer of humanity will remain. Stubborn, Angry, Brave. Unfortunatly any of these attributes could contribute to destruction. But it will certainly be interesting to watch from Athiest Hell!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Patchcord Adams: "Hey, here's a giggle." (computer sound and honking) "Did you hear why they're using Windows 3000 as a prison guard?"
    Fry: "No, why?"
    Patchcord Adams: "Cause it always locks up." *honk* *honk*
    Fry&Leela: (Insecure laughter)
    Bender: "For the love of God, somebody kick his ass!"
    Patchcord Adams: "Well, so long. Get well soon." (sound of paper) "Oh, well. So long anyway"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Humans will have been wiped out, after all the animals we have/will have wiped out, we will get our comeuppance. Tigers, lions, pandas, rhinos will all be extinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

1000AD - People working to provide for their family. Working to build (buy) a roof over their heads.
    2007AD - Ditto
    3000AD - Ditto

Plenty of the little things in life will change, but work will always remain the same.
    Makes ya depressed, doesn't it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I think we'll all have USB ports in our heads

I think music will have run out of ideas around the year 2116 - anything produced thereafter will just be a remix of something that has gone before - i.e. No. 1 in october 2122 will be Sexyback.

I think people will research their family trees by searching the universal bebo/myspace/facebook archive. I never knew great great...grandma was so mad for the cocktails

I think Christmas will have evolved into something far beyond out comprehension

I think comedy shows will make fun of the fact that some us believed in the 'end of history' shortly after the cold war....ha ha ha, silly late 20th/early 21st century people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Imagine you asked people back in 1000 what life would be like in 2007. Imagine how way off they would have been. I'm not sure what sort of sense they had about the future, but surely many of them would be predicting what are now pretty ridiculous things like the Normans would own all of Europe or the success of now some now long completely obsolete gadget.

Just as it was completely impossible for them to predict something as weirdly innovative and unforeseeable as the internet, so too is it impossible for us to predict our very own future millenium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The-Baron

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The person who started this thread does.

Personally I think the human race will be wiped out.

Hope so, for the planets sake.

And the furry animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The year 3000? Barring unforeseen asteroids, the earth flipping over and whatnot, I would say...

1. Immortality: Vast clone banks in orbit or in near space, with spare organs / skin grafts for everyone alive, with a five minute drop time. Either that or we'll have worked out how to turn off the timer in our cells and we won't need it except for medical emergencies.

Overpopulation isn't going to be an issue - you could comfortably fit the entire human race into an area the size of Texas right now, and I mean with a two storey house and a garden each.

Also as populations get happier and healthier, population growth drops or even decreases (see the first world generally, and places like Japan specifically).

People's time will be spent creating artwork, learning, developing new technology and bettering themselves, the inevitable result of a surplus of luxury resources and free time.

2. Free stuff for all: The enormous resources of the asteroids and local moons will have been plumbed, sending essentially infinite amounts of raw materials to solar-orbiting factories, which process them and ship them back to mother earth.

The equivalent of mercs, laptops, 100 inch tellys etc. will all be so cheap to build and ship that they may as well be free. You won't be getting your own private ocean liner too easily, but it might not be too hard either.

An addendum to this is that most of the grunt work will be done by machines, and all industrial work will be done offworld, meaning there will be no pollution on earth, and no agriculture in fact. Most (95%) of it can be left to run wild.

The average person will have powers wildly beyond the imagination of even the most fevered technophile ( bit like we today can do things beyond the dreams of the maddest contemporary of Shakespeare), with either implants or equipment that will enable us to fly, move things around without touching them, communicate with a central information store instantaneously, and heal most damage swiftly.

3. Government by the people: Politicians will be a thing of the past, with all governmental decisions being made by network. No longer will representatives be needed to speak for the masses, when the masses can vote for themselves, on issues presented by experts in the field.

Most people are far from stupid, and the voting will be set up so its not a "majority rules" deal every time. Spend a couple of hours in the evening reviewing the debates, then cast your vote or make your point.

4. A new frontier: Humans are not generally easily satisfied creatures, and need new challenges to keep them occupied. Happily the universe has supplied an infinite amount of these, with space.

Exploration and colonisation of far off star systems will be ubiquitous for those dissatisfied with the simple life on the homeworld, and whether by the slow boat or some super new ultra fast method, we will be busily expanding across millions of new worlds, discovering new mysteries and hopefully new races and cultures.

5. War: When you have all the resources and life you could ever need, why indulge in war? There is nothing left to fight over, and no politicians to egg it on. I'd still expect a lot of military development just in case we meet something not as enlightened as ourselves.

Funny thing is, we could have all of this a lot sooner than the year 3000.

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    I think music will have run out of ideas around the year 2116 - anything produced thereafter will just be a remix of something that has gone before

This happened already, didnt you get the memo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Life in 3000? Ask the next species that takes our place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

saw something about the average life of a species being about 6 million years so we are about half way there, if you go back to the first possible instance we differentiated.

BUT our technology means we have skipped natural selection.
    Our recent expansion across the planet and intermingling since means we will stay as one species.
    Alone of all species we can import natural resources and energy in to any ecosystem we choose to live in so don't have to worry about other species.

isolated groups have survived for long times - didn't cabot or some early explorer see the last of the Greenland settlers in a kayak ? imagine if they had a copy of encyclopedia britianica or wikipedia lying around to see what was possible

one interesting story is "a pail of air"

year 3K - how many revolutions will there be by then and how many times will things turn full circle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Life in 3000? Ask the next species that takes our place.
    Sea Otters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

The year 3000? Barring unforeseen asteroids, the earth flipping over and whatnot, I would say...

1. Immortality: Vast clone banks in orbit or in near space, with spare organs / skin grafts for everyone alive, with a five minute drop time. Either that or we'll have worked out how to turn off the timer in our cells and we won't need it except for medical emergencies.

Overpopulation isn't going to be an issue - you could comfortably fit the entire human race into an area the size of Texas right now, and I mean with a two storey house and a garden each.

Also as populations get happier and healthier, population growth drops or even decreases (see the first world generally, and places like Japan specifically).

People's time will be spent creating artwork, learning, developing new technology and bettering themselves, the inevitable result of a surplus of luxury resources and free time.

2. Free stuff for all: The enormous resources of the asteroids and local moons will have been plumbed, sending essentially infinite amounts of raw materials to solar-orbiting factories, which process them and ship them back to mother earth.

The equivalent of mercs, laptops, 100 inch tellys etc. will all be so cheap to build and ship that they may as well be free. You won't be getting your own private ocean liner too easily, but it might not be too hard either.

An addendum to this is that most of the grunt work will be done by machines, and all industrial work will be done offworld, meaning there will be no pollution on earth, and no agriculture in fact. Most (95%) of it can be left to run wild.

The average person will have powers wildly beyond the imagination of even the most fevered technophile ( bit like we today can do things beyond the dreams of the maddest contemporary of Shakespeare), with either implants or equipment that will enable us to fly, move things around without touching them, communicate with a central information store instantaneously, and heal most damage swiftly.

3. Government by the people: Politicians will be a thing of the past, with all governmental decisions being made by network. No longer will representatives be needed to speak for the masses, when the masses can vote for themselves, on issues presented by experts in the field.

Most people are far from stupid, and the voting will be set up so its not a "majority rules" deal every time. Spend a couple of hours in the evening reviewing the debates, then cast your vote or make your point.

4. A new frontier: Humans are not generally easily satisfied creatures, and need new challenges to keep them occupied. Happily the universe has supplied an infinite amount of these, with space.

Exploration and colonisation of far off star systems will be ubiquitous for those dissatisfied with the simple life on the homeworld, and whether by the slow boat or some super new ultra fast method, we will be busily expanding across millions of new worlds, discovering new mysteries and hopefully new races and cultures.

5. War: When you have all the resources and life you could ever need, why indulge in war? There is nothing left to fight over, and no politicians to egg it on. I'd still expect a lot of military development just in case we meet something not as enlightened as ourselves.

Funny thing is, we could have all of this a lot sooner than the year 3000.
    That is a nice vision for the future. At least one person isnt dooming us all to extinction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Man will finally land on the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Wow, no-ones gone for the obvious busted references yet.

I shall refrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wow, no-ones gone for the obvious busted references yet.

I shall refrain.

nope. they've already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

A bit of a time capsule.

Predictions of the year 2000 from the Ladies Home Journal of December 1900
    DesF wrote: »

Go back to the start of the 20th Century. 1907.

Things were so much different even then, and that's only a hundred years ago. No body then could have predicted the Internet, commercial passanger flight that would have you on the other side of the world in less than a day. Televisions showing live action from sports games taking place on another continent, in full colour? Unheard of a mere forty years ago.

They couldn't predict the interweb you say?
    Prediction #10: Man will See Around the World. Persons and things of all kinds will be brought within focus of cameras connected electrically with screens at opposite ends of circuits, thousands of miles at a span. American audiences in their theatres will view upon huge curtains before them the coronations of kings in Europe or the progress of battles in the Orient. The instrument bringing these distant scenes to the very doors of people will be connected with a giant telephone apparatus transmitting each incidental sound in its appropriate place. Thus the guns of a distant battle will be heard to boom when seen to blaze, and thus the lips of a remote actor or singer will be heard to utter words or music when seen to move.

A bit askew on these though. :D
    Prediction #16: There will be No C, X or Q in our every-day alphabet. They will be abandoned because unnecessary. Spelling by sound will have been adopted, first by the newspapers. English will be a language of condensed words expressing condensed ideas, and will be more extensively spoken than any other. Russian will rank second.
    Prediction #13: Strawberries as Large as Apples will be eaten by our great-great-grandchildren for their Christmas dinners a hundred years hence. Raspberries and blackberries will be as large. One will suffice for the fruit course of each person. Strawberries and cranberries will be grown upon tall bushes. Cranberries, gooseberries and currants will be as large as oranges. One cantaloupe will supply an entire family. Melons, cherries, grapes, plums, apples, pears, peaches and all berries will be seedless. Figs will be cultivated over the entire United States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I predict...

that with genetic engineering we will vastly increase our intelligence. This may cause a class divide. However I believe that there is a chance we will use our new found intelligence to create a better and more just society in which everyone can reap the benefits of genetic engineering.

Robots will do all the crap jobs that no one wants to do.

There may be a technological singularity wherein we develop AI that can increase its intelligence exponentially and vastly exceed our own. It would be so intelligent that if it were benign it could help us advance ourselves and give us the knowledge for technologies lightyears ahead of what we currently have. Actually we could programme it to be benign to begin with. Although it could also regard us as pests and wipe us out in the gigadeath, in the ultimate battle between artelects (artificial intellects) and terrans (humans).
    This is according to Hugo De Garis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_De_Garis

It feels like we're living in futuristic times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7094526.stm

Advertisement