Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a Dell - advice please!

• 15-11-2007 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭

Right - I've had the same PC for the last 5/6 years and it's on it's last legs. So am going to get a Dell as many have told me that is the way to go! (And after having spent the morning in PC World where they seemed to want to sell me more and more on top of the PC... Norton CD, Office CD...) I really am no expert and really only want it for internet and emails, music and photos with the odd bit of working from home where I'd need Office. Also trying to keep cost down, am thinking €700 - €750. :o

so I'm filling out the bit where you tick the boxes to build the PC. So far so good but wondering how important is the graphics card...? Would I be o.k with the Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 3100 [Included in Price]

Any (I really do mean any!) advice really appreciated!

Thank you, thank you!! :)

oops! did I post this in the right place?? Sorry if not!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Integrated graphics is fine for non-gamers. If you're only word processing and surfing the Internet, it is fine. Building in a graphics connector into the motherboard will cut costs. It nips into your system's RAM also and uses your processor to do the work. If this wasn't working out for you, you could always add a graphics card later.

If the machine is coming with Vista, there's some chance integrated graphics won't help in giving you the new eye-candy. If this won't bother you, that's fine. I would be inclined to opt for a dedicated video card, especially if it won't add too much to the cost of the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the advice! I'm boggled here trying to tweak my order!! :rolleyes:

And what on earth are USB memory keys and do I need 'em?! Am thinking I do need them for reading a memory stick/flash drive. (and are they the same thing?)

Told ya I was no expert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

USB memory keys are small portable storage devices allowing you to easily copy files and move from one computer to another. Saves time and effort compared to copying to CD's all the time.
    You don't need one, however you will more than likely get a much higher capacity one (for a smaller price) if you don't order from dell!

USB memory keys are small portable storage devices allowing you to easily copy files and move from one computer to another. Saves time and effort compared to copying to CD's all the time.
    You don't need one, however you will more than likely get a much higher capacity one (for a smaller price) if you don't order from dell!

Oh! So is a USB flash drive the same sort of thing? Does it do the same job? Coz I have one of those! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

sudzs wrote: »
    Oh! So is a USB flash drive the same sort of thing? Does it do the same job? Coz I have one of those! :D
    Exact same thing, just that it has too many different names: memory key, memory stick, USB stick, USB key, USB fob, etc.

• Advertisement

Thank you ! Thank you!

Appreciate ye taking the time to help out a total novice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Also, word of advice, check out Dell's small business portal, you don't need to be a business to shop there, and the machines can be quite a bit cheaper... (Try the Vostro or Optiplex, if the Vostro desktop is like the laptop you'll save a packet, i got a vostro laptop, saved like €600 or something compared to a similar home model...)

Vostro here

Optiplex here

Advertisement