Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between chartered building surveyor and....

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey all,
    looking at an old house and it seems to have a settling problem to the rear, probably due to a faulty drain.

Anyway. The place has been surveyed by a standard architectural surveyor (wasn't hired by me), he's recommended a Structural Engineer assess the damage. I was then on to a Chartered Building Surveyor (looking for a structural engineer) who tells me they can do pretty much what a structural engineer would. Now i'm confused!!

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

In the circumstances you're looking at - potential subsidance - a surveyor is probably all you need - and they'd be able to put a budget price against thw work required.

It would really be only if you needed reinforcing beams or were making structural changes that you would absolutely need a structural engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The architectural surveyor is saying that the building has problems and he isn't happy with defining or solving them himself.

Structural Engineer - has a qualification as an engineer (a legally protected title). His function is to ensure that buildings are designed and built so as to not fall down.

Building Surveyor - has a qualification as an building surveyor (soon to be a legally protected title). His functions are many and he is a generalist. He would ensure that the entire building is suitable for occupation - covering things like damp, building regulations and so on in more depth than an engineer. He knows how to make a house stay up, but would be nervous designing/building the Eiffel Tower by himself as he might over/under-design.

You can hire either, but make clear to them that you expect their fee to cover all the work. If the building surveyor needs to hire an engineer to detail some foundations, then that is a cost to the building surveyor. Conversely, if the engineer isn't sure of which damp proofing solution would be optimal, then that is a cost to the engineer.

Advertisement