Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The City in the 80's & early 90's

• 15-11-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

'Soldering Iron' got me thinking with his 'snap' thread, it would be nice to see how much the city has changed by looking back at some pics of the city in the 80's and early 90's.

Do you remember Darrer's [spelling?]Stores where McDonald's now is or wasn't there another supermarket in the building where The Broadstreet Centre is today??
    Or the large (and gloomy) car park in Arundel Square where City Square now stands??

Anyway, does anyone have any pics of the city back then?
    I was too busy taking pictures of me and my friends belting down steep hills on skateboards:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah I remember Darrers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Darrers_bag.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

L&N used to be in the Broad Street centre did it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dlofnep wrote: »
    Darrers_bag.jpg

wow, that must be worth something now :D

Roen wrote: »
    L&N used to be in the Broad Street centre did it not?

yeah, I think that was the one. my memory aint the best :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

I have some picture of the old bridge, when they demolished the main pillars, but will will have to dig them out.I was in castle street tonight i was standing at the top of Castle street remembering the shop that was there and the 2 houses that were attached to the Castle.In browns lane the wall that run along the lane i remember the the half door that where on some of the houses that is the wall now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 papa

One of mine from 1990.
    Be happy in Waterford.

http://www.ciddytours.com/photos/shaun/behappy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blondie999

Looking at the pic of Waterford in 1990 it's hard to believe the city centre has changed so much! I had forgotton how congested John Roberts Sq (or Red Sq as it was known then) used to be when it wasn't pedestrinised (sp)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Please link or scale down to thumbnail size pictures. This is to benefit dialup and mobile users. Thanks. :)

Hows this?

behappy2.jpg

• Advertisement

papa wrote: »
    One of mine from 1990.
    Be happy in Waterford.

http://www.ciddytours.com/photos/shaun/behappy.jpg

excellent pic papa, yeah I used to remember the traffic chaos along there alright. I love the banner :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hows this?

behappy2.jpg

haha

Mobile users?
    They can get back on the internet now?

Must have a word with Vodafone/O2/Three to get that sorted out! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hows this?

behappy2.jpg

Perfect. :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    haha

Mobile users?
    They can get back on the internet now?

Must have a word with Vodafone/O2/Three to get that sorted out! :p

Vodafone offer the best packages internet wise. I do believe Boards has its own mobile skin. O2 on the other hand, charge a fortune. Three is dodgy. Meteor I believe is like O2. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Apple Market c.1986

AppleMarket.jpg

Now thats a great photo!

what a great pic Freddie59...I remember that arcade place, we used to go there a bit when we were kids but it wasn't the best and often got into some hassle with little scumbags that tend to hang out around arcades! (not like us of course!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

what a great pic Freddie59...I remember that arcade place, we used to go there a bit when we were kids but it wasn't the best and often got into some hassle with little scumbags that tend to hang out around arcades! (not like us of course!).

Indeed Forest! Doesn't the photo really demonstrate how much the City Centre has come on in recent years though. The Munster Express carried a photo in their Christmas 2004 supplement where they show a photo of Arundel Square 30 years previous. It was like a WW2 bomb site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Indeed Forest! Doesn't the photo really demonstrate how much the City Centre has come on in recent years though. The Munster Express carried a photo in their Christmas 2004 supplement where they show a photo of Arundel Square 30 years previous. It was like a WW2 bomb site.

Some one going to post a copy?

So how come my photo of Barronstrand Street of 84kb gets reduced to a link but a photo of the Apple Market in the snow of 136kb is allowed to stay.
    Perhaps its so that the dial up people can see the Apple Market after the snow has melted in the time they will take to download the image.

Interesting photo though, my family from Spring Garden Alley are about 100 yards or less away from where that photo was taken.

• Advertisement

Im not talking about size in kb - I was refering to size in height/width. Yours was larger, if I recall, so was snipped to a link.

That is why it was put as a link. If you have a problem, my Inbox awaits your PM. :)

Papa: If you have a problem with how I moderate, please discuss the matter with me in PM. If you do not want to, then Help Desk is open for your complaint. Until such time, please do not post off topic again.

Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

whoa, bit harsh on the guy?

forbesii wrote: »
    whoa, bit harsh on the guy?
    Nope. Rules are Rules. Stick by them, and we all get on fine. Ignore them, and expect to get the wrap for it. Enough warnings went out, the chap ignored them - as a result, he has been banned. [Note: That rule is a boards-wide rule, which I completely agree with]

Anyway, back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

Why have posts been deleted in this thread and members banned without any explanations!!

Posts were deleted. Those who had posts deleted were contacted. Including you.

Those who were banned were warned to stop, but continued to carry on regardless. The ban is for two weeks and the member was contacted immediatelty after the ban was placed.

If you, or anyone else, have any further objections, questions or issues - take it to PM or Help Desk.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Apple Market c.1986

AppleMarket.jpg

I that an old countrystyle meats van? Great photo.

I have an old drive through VIDEO of Waterford from about 1983-84. Cousinc coming down from the midlands turned the camera on before Sallypark and video'ed the whole way over the old bridge, up the quay, past WINSTONS, up the cork road. Nostalgia or what!!!!

Sorry I cannot put it up though

Why not? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

I will get it up some day on you tube and post the link here and upthedeise

• Advertisement

If you need a hand, just shout. :)

Advertisement