Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a book that deals with the nature of the human "soul" in scientific terms

Options
  • 15-11-2007 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Philosophy ...Sci Fi ...doesn't really matter, just looking for stuff that explores this idea.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The God Delusion is the only one I can think of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

the nature of the human "soul" in scientific terms
    Isn't that somewhat of an oxymoron? Science cannot address what is essentially a theological concept.

Anyhow! The books of the moment - Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy (see other thread) are very much concerned with the idea of a soul, or consciousness. The science element is fantasy, but fascinating at the same time.

Can you be more specific what you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

y'know what i mean. The word soul was in inverted commas, dont be such a pedant, only messin.
    I dont need anything too specific, I read Huxley's Heaven & Hell a while back. This was written in the 50's and I don't think it was researched that well, as brilliant as it is. I was thinkin there must be some newer stuff that i should read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Plato or Aristotle would be the best place to start I'd think. However, being Greek, they don't seek to prove it, rather define it so that would obviously undermine how scientific (or rather logical) their approach is. Still worth a look nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Platos allegory of the cave would be a good start.

You could try Sesboue's book -'the resurrection and the life' for a theological perspective (eventhough you specifically asked for a scientific book)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thed4king

The God delusion by Dawkins is fantastic. Loved it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not sure if this is what you have in mind but how about 'The Unbearable Lightness' of Being by Milan Kundera. Definitely worth a read if you haven't already.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

lots of buddhist books could be recommend also einstein covered this area
    jiddhu krishnamurti and david bohm would be a good recommendation
    maybe buckminister fuller
    also fritjof capra and deepak chopra
    if you look them up on wikipedia it should fill you in more
    also aldous huxley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The Picture Of Dorian Gray comes to mind. Though it's not exactly scientific. Or is it his soul? His conscience?! Who knows.

Advertisement