Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price performance curve

Options
  • 15-11-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

ok, i have been lurking on this forum for a while now trying to research a new graphics card, at the moment i have a x600 which came with the dell and i figure thats the main performance bottleneck in the computer (correct me if im wrong, dimension 9150, viiv 2.8 pentium d,1gb ram.).

sooo, the whole dx10 thing isnt really a huge issue with me,i am planning on building a computer myself in about 18months so i am happy to wait until then to play dx10 only games or really demanding ones(crysis etc). i mainly want to play company of heroes, medieval 2, tf2, and have them look purdy.

i was planning on buying in a few weeks and spending about €150 or so, my budget is fairly flexible(within limits).
    i had basically decided on the 1950pro (because whenever a thread pops up saying "recommend me a graphics card" , thats what you guys recommend).
    i get the impression that it is better for dx9 games than the low end dx10 cards are, so perfect for me (and work with the 375 dell psu). but recently i have seen piles of cheap nvidia dx10 cards for cheaper than the 1950 and with mad letters and numbers everywhere which is really confusing....and then after reading about the the new radeon cards with the 3850 for "€150ish" according to the other thread im just wondering if i would be better off going for one of these or what the f**k is a considered a low/mid/high range card anymore?

sorry about the long post, i just wanted to explain myself properly.
    thanks in advance.

ps. im glad to see ati have a started using a sensible naming system!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Wait until after xmass when supply/price of the new parts has settled.

An Ati X1950 Pro is indeed a better choice than the Nvidia 8600 series.
    (ditto the ATI X2400 and X2600 series also)

The new ATI 3800 series is really looking good for the circa €200 price range.

I would say you would be best off going for a 3800 series for the moment if you are on a budget: they seem to be offering the performance of a X2900XT at huge discount in price and using much less power to boot.
    (hopefully they will be able to supply the parts in good numbers, unlike Nvidia with their 8800GT shortfall)

With a good quality 375W psu you should be able to get away with one.

Advertisement