Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat supplements/general feedback

Options
  • 15-11-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have a male cat, 18 years old, who was diagnosed with CRF two years ago. Recently, his jaw has acted up, and the vet had given him a lot of steroids for the pain to no real help. Then most recently, he has stopped eating properly. Recent blood tests show anaemia and a high white blood cell count. So the general suggestion is to have him put to sleep.

But...he doesn't seem ready. Full of life, wanting food, but having trouble smelling it, a bit snuffly. Also, have read that prolonged use of steroids can lead to high white blood cell count. And Anaemia would be expected in a cat that hasn't been eating properly.

Does anyone know of iron supplements for cats? Had a similar problem? I'm quite ready to let him go, but only if that's the right thing to do. It seems as though there might be other issues here.

CJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

my cat was on steriods for years due to a spine problem and
    when she went off her food I used to get her chicken or fish
    - and get her started by feeding by hand. Once they eat a
    couple of bits from your hand it seems to stimulate the
    appetite a bit.. maybe the stronger smell of the fish
    may also have helped.

Shane

Advertisement