Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to LC

Options
  • 15-11-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just thought I'd say a little something about an alternative to the LC. A lot of the people who fail their LC, or who decide to re-sit in order to get higher points, may be better off trying their hand at A-levels. Theres only one school in the country, Dublin Tutorial Centre (a.k.a International Business School) (http://www.dublintutorialcentre.com/). Ignore the 'Learn English' stuff, just hit A levels and Other Courses.

{PLEASE NOTE: I am a current student here, but Im NOT advertising the school. Im just informing people that there is an alternative to the LC}

With A levels, you can do either 3 or 4 subjects, over 1 or 2 years. Its a lot less school-orientated than the LC, and you are expected to have some initiative to work on your own (I only have 14 hours of school a week, and im a 6th Year Student) which makes it perfect if your working, or have other commitments. The quality of teaching is top notch, with 3 of my 4 teachers having Ph.D's, and ALL of them lecturing in colleges too (D.I.T, A.C.D, Pearse College and Trinity College Dublin respectively). Class sizes are tiny (with the exception of one subject, im on my own with the teacher in everything) so your effectively getting private tuition.

A levels give you a lot more flexibility too, as they're are NO required subjects (Irish, Math etc.) and the choice of subjects is huge (pyschology, law, politics to name a few) plus all the usual subjects. They're accepted by all universities, and because of a wonderful loophole, you can get certain colleges (dit, itt, gmit and loads more) a lot easier than if you were entering with the LC.

Just thought I'd let y'all know, as few people seem to be aware of A levels.

Alan

Advertisement